#
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]
 Post subject: Petition to change the 25 year rule into 15.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:01 pm 

"Stop using Homeland Security funds to seize imported vehicles, and change the DOT/EPA exemption to 15 years. The Department of Homeland Security spends a shockingly disproportionate amount of its budget not on security initiatives, but on customs seizures. In particular, importers of grey-market vehicles have been targeted by monies taxpayers have intended to be used to secure our country against terrorism and terrorist activity. We call upon the Executive Branch to immediately cease this wasteful activity, and furthermore to change the DOT/EPA exemption time on grey-market vehicles from 25 years to 15 years (to match the vehicle regulations of Canada), recognizing that the 25-year rule was enacted due to support from special interests such as Mercedes Benz North America."

The law currently states (in the US) you can import any grey market vehicle legally if it is 25 years or older (classic car rule). This is a petition to change it to any vehicle that is 15 years or older (same classic car rule as Canada).

Click on the link to sign the petition. And pass it on to other forums.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions#!...-years/L50BZzwj

Post subject: Re: Petition to change the 25 year rule into 15.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:19 pm 

No way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Not sure that it is spam yet only cause I have seen it posted by a few people and groups (Project Car Magazine). Would be nice if it was real.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:31 pm 

I've seen this in many forums as of late and have posted this there as well. This is a good idea and I would love to see it happen, but for the government to even consider a petition, it must have actual signatures. Electronic means does not lend enough credibility because it can be tampered with quite easily.

Kane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:36 pm 

With slow car sales, the U.S govt will not give in for you to import a 15 year old car from overseas...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:33 pm 

Robb wrote:
With slow car sales, the U.S govt will not give in for you to import a 15 year old car from overseas...

They'll end up crushing many potential spare-worthy cars before that shit will ever happen. Fucking Cash for Clunkers....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:44 am 

I have also seen this popping up everywhere. My biggest problem with the idea is that it has nonsensical justification. To come in line with Canada? Seriously? When has the US government ever changed a law to accommodate another country? If the argument was well thought out with some tangible benefits to the consumer explained, I would sign up. I agree in principle, but if it just looks like a stupid demand, it's a waste of time, imo.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:49 am 

This is on whitehouses own website.

"The White House has agreed to respond to any We The People petition that accrues 25,000 signatures in a month."

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/peti ... 5-to-15-y/

Autoblog explains a bit more. Even though it's poorly argued in the wording... I still signed to see them respond and acknowledge the issue.

Post subject: Importing vehicles into the US
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 am 

Someone has put together a petition to lower the import age of vehicles into the US from 25 years to 15 years.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/! ... n=shorturl

I have already signed and was hoping to get some support from you guys... bring on the GTR's

Thanks
Rory

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:44 am 
Administrator

^rory didn't read a few threads down i guess

since ppl keep posting a new thread on this, we'll just merge it with this one from now on

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:11 pm 

Thought I would have gotten a better response here than on the other forums I frequent...
I have never seen so many people (not just here) make such a fuss over spending 30 seconds putting your name on a piece of paper, not like it has anything to do with cars... :roll:

Even if they do get all the signatures and nothing happens (which I really didnt think anything was going to anyways), who cares?
What have you lost by signing? Nothing.

If all the people across the internet who took the time to put an unnecessary negative response instead of signing, the petition would have probably already reach 25,000 people by now...
:tu:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:43 pm 

ma61 wrote:
Thought I would have gotten a better response here than on the other forums I frequent...
I have never seen so many people (not just here) make such a fuss over spending 30 seconds putting your name on a piece of paper, not like it has anything to do with cars... :roll:

Even if they do get all the signatures and nothing happens (which I really didnt think anything was going to anyways), who cares?

If all the people across the internet who took the time to put an unnecessary negative response instead of signing, the petition would have probably already reach 25,000 people by now...

Not a very good argument. "just sign it anyway, I dont care if you like it or not...."

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:56 am 

RedSunday wrote:
Not a very good argument. "just sign it anyway, I dont care if you like it or not...."

Not what I said, and not my point.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:11 am 

ma61 wrote:

Government websites = sketchy. Plus I would imagine many of us have some sketchy parts and rides.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:26 pm 

ma61 wrote:

Well, this petition has very little to do with JNCs, so... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:14 am 

datsunfreak wrote:
ma61 wrote:

Well, this petition has very little to do with JNCs, so... :wink:

Oh give him some credit.

We Americans have varying degrees of what truly is a "Classic Car." The Classic Car Club of America maintains that a car must be between 20 and 40 years old to be a classic. Almost the same with the Antique Automobile Club of America (45 and older is Antique; 20-45 is Classic). Doesn't the JCCA have a cutoff date of 1987 (with certain "exceptions")? Or was it 1988?

We still have varying degrees of definitions and bias out there.

In some cases, 80's J-Tin is not regarded as "classic" by the masses; even parts of the 70's is up for debate due to the turbulent events during that time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:18 am 

cesariojpn wrote:
Doesn't the JCCA have a cutoff date of 1987 (with certain "exceptions")? Or was it 1988?

And those are already legal to import.

Quote:
We still have varying degrees of definitions and bias out there.

In some cases, 80's J-Tin is not regarded as "classic" by the masses; even parts of the 70's is up for debate due to the turbulent events during that time.

I was simply trying to explain to him why he didn't get the reaction he wanted on this forum.

It's been proven time and again that lots of people on this forum don't regard post-85 designs as "nostalgics".

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:41 pm 

cesariojpn wrote:
Doesn't the JCCA have a cutoff date of 1987 (with certain "exceptions")? Or was it 1988?

It's JCCS and the cutoff year is 1985.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:09 pm 

qdseeker wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:

It's JCCS and the cutoff year is 1985.

Actually, it's also JCCA. :wink:

I think he's talking about the sanctioning body in Japan that runs the "New Year Meeting" every year for classic Japanese cars. :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
I think he's talking about the sanctioning body in Japan that runs the "New Year Meeting" every year for classic Japanese cars. :tu:

That completely slipped by me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 20 posts ]