#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:26 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: 1975 Toyota Corona Mark II Coupe Questions
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hey everyone, just joined up, so i thought i would post some pics of my cars/ask all the experts about them..

My 1977 Toyota Corona RT104-

1977 Toyota Corona RT104 by doomdoomdaboomboom22, on Flickr

My 1975 Toyota Corona Mark II Coupe MX23-

1975 Toyota Corona Mark 2 Coupe/Hardtop MX23 by doomdoomdaboomboom22, on Flickr

1975 Toyota Corona Mark 2 Coupe/Hardtop MX23 by doomdoomdaboomboom22, on Flickr

The Mark II needs a fair bit of work as its pretty rusty in some spots, and the interior is pretty badly sun damaged.. I may make a build thread or whatever theyre called when i start getting into it :)

HOPEFULLY it ends up looking like this when im done-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Toyot ... _in_NL.jpg

Anyway i have some questions about the Mark II..

1. Do you think the red in the wikipedia picture is an original colour? Maybe the red 335 on this site (http://www.toyotareference.com/coronamkii#C2)... I think it looks really good in this colour but ive seen them in other reds that just look really dodgy so i dont wanna stuff it up!

2. What is with all the different grilles!? I dont think ive ever seen any two of them with the same grille? (And unfortunately i dont like my grille as much as a lot of the other ones... Can you swap them around??)

3. Does anyone know much about the 2 door hardtops in Australia? I dont think ive ever seen one besides mine!

4. Anyone know where i can get some sweet wheels for it for cheap? The JDM style ones, silver and black, kinda deep dish.. Anyone have any for sale that would fit?

Thanks and sorry about all the links/questions :wink:

Post subject: Re: 1975 Toyota Corona Mark II Coupe Questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Can't help with much, but I implore you to keep the brown. I dig it. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm 

First of all welcome to the website. Your car looks great and seems like it should be a pretty good project. First of all they made two versions of these cars. RX and MX models. MX models have a longer nose on them to accommodate the larger M series motors vs the RX having R series motors. You should be able to change to another M series grill with little to no modifications. You will also probably have to remove the extra chrome around your headlights to be able to get the new grills to fit over the headlights properly.

The car in the picture appears to be original. The red could be either 331 or 335. If I were to say I think your right with 335. You don't see many of these cars in red but when you do generally they look really good in it as long as the color isn't overly bright and overdone.

Not too sure how many are over there in Australia, most of the ones I have seen from there are 4 doors, but I do know there are many more parts places over there for all of the MKIIs than anywhere else I have been able to find. So I would count yourself lucky in that aspect.

Where did you get that rear windshield louver cover? I didn't even know those existed? If you ever find another one or want to part with yours let me know.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:33 pm 

theunstated wrote:
First of all welcome to the website. Your car looks great and seems like it should be a pretty good project. First of all they made two versions of these cars. RX and MX models. MX models have a longer nose on them to accommodate the larger M series motors vs the RX having R series motors. You should be able to change to another M series grill with little to no modifications. You will also probably have to remove the extra chrome around your headlights to be able to get the new grills to fit over the headlights properly.

The car in the picture appears to be original. The red could be either 331 or 335. If I were to say I think your right with 335. You don't see many of these cars in red but when you do generally they look really good in it as long as the color isn't overly bright and overdone.

Not too sure how many are over there in Australia, most of the ones I have seen from there are 4 doors, but I do know there are many more parts places over there for all of the MKIIs than anywhere else I have been able to find. So I would count yourself lucky in that aspect.

Where did you get that rear windshield louver cover? I didn't even know those existed? If you ever find another one or want to part with yours let me know.

Ah right, yeah mine is a MX23. Alright cool ill have to have a look for other M series grilles, cheers for that!

Yeah i like this red, the real bright ones just look dodge.

Do you any where any of these parts places are in particular?

Um the windshield cover was actually just on it when i bought it. Ive never seen them on Coronas either but have seen them on old Corollas.. Im actually not sure if im going to keep it yet, i may just put the venetian blinds from my RT104 in it (they should fit right?) so i will let you know if i dont use them :)
Btw, read your build thread i think it was, so awesome seeing other Coronas getting done up!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:34 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Can't help with much, but I implore you to keep the brown. I dig it. 8)

haha it looks worse in real life, its all cracked, bit too pooey for me ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 pm 

i'd have to say i know of more coupes then sedans on the road in aus. Seems that the coupes get saved and the sedans end up in wrecking yards, which isnt a bad thing because it means more spare parts for me :)

Regarding grills, depending on which grill you want, you'll would need the bonnet to go with it. It's like Toyota was never happy with the front end, they just kept changing it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:51 am 

Welcome! I'm glad to see more Coronas! I am currently building a 1980 Corona and you should see if you can source me some Chrome bumpers for it ;)

BTW: You should keep it that brown I like it more than the red!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:40 am 

Welcome!
Looks like a nice project.
There are quite a few different grille styles for this model. It's a bit ridiculous. I think the only one I noticed were consist are the RX fronts. The two door has a grille with two vents in the center piece. The 4door with the same style grille has four vents in the center.
I know it's not really useful, just something I noticed.

On the subject of those louvers. Aaron, just know, I am prepared to battle you for those. :wink: I've been a fan of louvers for a long time. This is the second one I've seen a picture of with them. I'd like to get some measurements off the celica to see if those ones will fit... unless of course I could win these ones. lol

junn wrote:
Regarding grills, depending on which grill you want, you'll would need the bonnet to go with it. It's like Toyota was never happy with the front end, they just kept changing it.

On this note, if you change the bonnet/hood, you will also have to make sure to get the matching cowl panel. Each hood had a different cowl since the body lines were different.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm 

ok, so probably not worth changing the grill haha cheers guys!
And about the louvers, my friend took his off his old corolla so ill check if its the same size and let yous know ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:31 am 

Welcome to JNC... Best of luck for your restoration/modification... These really are pretty machines...

check the link below... I hope you will like it..
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6231

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:17 am 

I will keep an eye out for grills just in case you still decide to do any sort of swap. Please do check to see if the louvers are the same. I would be really interested to find out. Please keep us informed on your build. I love to see these coupes coming back to life.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:23 pm 

It will look like this in Red color...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46091940@N02/6914640259/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:52 pm 

alright cheers unstated!

Ansarghani- Is that the original red 335?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:57 am 

I am not sure...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:04 am 

Nice car, these things are just crying out for a 1/2JZ GTE conversion ...or a 20B rotary Keep us updated!

Australia only got the MX series 6cyl cars, never the RX 4 cyl in either sedan or coupe, and no wagons of any sort. The earlier cars were actually MX22 chassis code, and as well as different grilles & bonnets have different bumpers (curve up at the ends instead of flat), guards, lower valence, as well as different radiator supports & radiators (MX23 had a much larger radiator). I think each series had at least two different grille types, and the difference may have been coupe (MX22/23) to sedan (MX12/13), but I'm not 100% sure.

MX22:

I considered buying this car above a few years back. It was a really nice one owner car with 73k kms on it, but at ¥1 million I let it pass in the end. The rust free MX23 I'd owned in Australia before I came to Japan had set me back $50, and I just couldn't come at $12k, even if it was a super nice one! I'd love an early GSS with the 18RG. Or an MX22 with a period correct 6cyl twin cam out of a 2000GT looking like the factory put it in there, but that would just be silly...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 am 

Savannarx3 wrote:
Nice car, these things are just crying out for a 1/2JZ GTE conversion ...or a 20B rotary Keep us updated!

Australia only got the MX series 6cyl cars, never the RX 4 cyl in either sedan or coupe, and no wagons of any sort. The earlier cars were actually MX22 chassis code, and as well as different grilles & bonnets have different bumpers (curve up at the ends instead of flat), guards, lower valence, as well as different radiator supports & radiators (MX23 had a much larger radiator). I think each series had at least two different grille types, and the difference may have been coupe (MX22/23) to sedan (MX12/13), but I'm not 100% sure.

MX22:

I considered buying this car above a few years back. It was a really nice one owner car with 73k kms on it, but at ¥1 million I let it pass in the end. The rust free MX23 I'd owned in Australia before I came to Japan had set me back $50, and I just couldn't come at $12k, even if it was a super nice one! I'd love an early GSS with the 18RG. Or an MX22 with a period correct 6cyl twin cam out of a 2000GT looking like the factory put it in there, but that would just be silly...

Yeah im thinking a JZ conversions sometime. I may wait another 2 years though so i can put a turbo one in because im only on my P's :( haha
Its supposed to be a pretty easy conversion isnt it? (well as easy as conversions can get)
Thanks for the info, that is a seriously nice car! Expensive though! Jealous of however you managed to get one for $50 over here haha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:03 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

2JZ just looks at home in these. :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:11 pm 

Oracles wrote:
2JZ just looks at home in these. :tu:

Haha looks awesome. Have you put this car up on youtube? Im pretty sure ive seen videos of it...
Does anyone know where i can get lowered king springs for cheaper than $300??

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]