#
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bros Garage - 1980 Toyota Corona
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:55 am 

No problem... glad I could help. Any pics of your engine compt???

The thing about the Supra diff, though, is that it's a 7.5", meaning you can get them all day long and in bullet-proof mode, too. I think there's even an Auburn 7.5" LSD that fits, it's the same as the trucks so it should be plenty strong.

If you do want to go with this front brake set up, keep in mind a couple things that are very important: On the Corona Strut Housing, the threaded holes have to be drilled out so the bolt can go through the holes and into the Cressida Caliper Bracket. It's a direct match, but since the Caliper Bracket mounts outside of the strut you have to drill the holes in the Strut Housing. Also, the washers/spacers are needed to center the Caliper & Bracket to the Rotor.

For mine, I used my Celica Tokico Illumina's, so I had to get creative putting them into the Corona Strut Housing. You won't have to worry about that, so your only mods are Drilling the holes in the Strut Housing, adding washers/spacers, and making sure you have brake lines for it. You can probably use the stock Corona Splash Shield, it will be larger than the rotor by a little, but it should still work. I opted for the Cressida Splash Shield because of the design. Eventually I'll run some brake cooling ducts to the rotors.

I bought slotted/drilled rotors from Brake Performance and they were great to work with. I had a problem with one rotor and they sent a new one that day and didn't ask for the other one back. Good prices, too.

By the way... I lived in Goldsboro for a while... stationed at Seymour Johnson for about a year, if you know where that is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:48 am 

Yea, I know where Goldsboro is!

So i've been doing some research on these engines a little more and there is quite a big following for them. I would put a 1j or a 1uz in this car, but I've already got the 1j for my cressida and want to keep this car period correct. I am going to built a high compression 22r with a big cam and ITBS for the car. The sound will be amazing and it will be a blast to drive!

I ordered my front lip today, so hopefully that will be in soon, I am really starting to like this car more than any other car I have ever had!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:29 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyUFjypyTo

This is a video of my car at Willow Springs... unfortunately, it's shot from inside the car. The guy in the Ferrari that I caught up to loved the Corona, his comment was "That's your Toyota?? You handed my ass to me out there!"

Now I need more power.... my top end was lacking! Being in California, I have to try to keep it legal, and it did pass smog last year with the 22R Hybrid in it.... barely!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:52 am 

More nc people with ronas! Are there any jap meets that yall attend around here? Itd be nice to network face fo face so maybe it wont be so difficult to find parts for these things!

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:02 pm 

travmac79 wrote:
...so maybe it wont be so difficult to find parts for these things!

There aren't too many out here, either. I got pretty lucky one weekend a few years back: there were two of them, one with an almost brand new gray/black interior, and another with a lot of good tan/brown parts. I basically cleaned them both out and did my interior black and tan.

Also: 85 Celica GTS/Supra Sport Seats are a direct bolt in for these. You sit a bit lower, but they are nice seats and no drilling required. When I installed mine, the holes didn't line up where the stock seats bolted in. So I figured I'd pull the carpet back and drill a couple holes and sonofagun, there were threaded holes already there that lined up to the GTS seat!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:23 pm 

Wow, there is so much information about Coronas in here now, and is very much appreciated!

I think it is just the three of us, there is a nice looking 7X somethings corona 4 door for sale in ashboro for $700 running and driving. We all need to meet up sometime and cruise!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 pm 

brosgarage wrote:
I think it is just the three of us, there is a nice looking 7X somethings corona 4 door for sale in ashboro for $700 running and driving. We all need to meet up sometime and cruise!

I agree we should meet up sometime. I work in asheboro so i may have to check that car out soon! I can drive to charlotte one weekend if thats where everyone is and wants to meet. My Weber conversion should be delivered soon so that my car will run decent finally lol.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:35 pm 

I did the Weber conversion years ago and I love it. I have to get the smog legal version, but I learned something about them from Redline: the smog legal carb body is identical to the non-legal 32/36. They put smaller jets and have a vapor return on the upper air horn of the carb. Two blocked off ports are opened up for thermo vacuum switches, but other than that it's the same carb.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:01 pm 

travmac79, There aren't many old school meetups around, but there are plenty of old school japanese nos cars around NC. I have been pooling the j-tin guys in Charlotte and we pretty much hang with each other multiple days throughout the week. You guys should come to Cars and Coffee in Charlotte, every first sat of the month.
I participate in most of the import car shows and meetup from Streetwise to ISO. I will be going down to Atlanta for Import Alliance with my club...I guess I should start a thread on here for us OGs.

PM me with your info if you would like me to keep you in touch with the Charlotte happenings.

As far as the engine bay, I guess I need to start a fresh post for that too.
Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:57 pm 

I attend that Cars and Coffee all the time, but with my Dodge Ram when I do go. Would be nice to bring the Rolla some time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 am 

chithead wrote:
I attend that Cars and Coffee all the time, but with my Dodge Ram when I do go. Would be nice to bring the Rolla some time.

We have a Cars and Coffee out here and some serious high dollar machines show up all the time: Veyrons, SLRs, Hennessey Venoms, etc. Still, it's fun to see people stop by my Corona and wonder what the hell it is because they never see them these days! lol I haven't taken my Plymouth yet... it's a loooong windy road through the mountains and I still have the 4 wheel drum brakes (upgrade purchased - just need to find time to install it).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am 

So, I have some friends driving 7 hours from one state away to deliver this seat which will be going in the Corona! Can't thank them enough!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:27 am 

brosgarage wrote:
So, I have some friends driving 7 hours from one state away to deliver this seat which will be going in the Corona! Can't thank them enough!

Do they make one that says "Groom"? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:23 am 

dun dun dun..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:51 am 

tires arrived today! 195/45/15 from Nexen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:08 am 

Wheels just got delivered! But I won't be at the shop until late tonight so no pictures until then hah

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:41 am 

Its good to see more guys are rolling this corona.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 am 

Yea, it is one of my favorite cars I have ever tinkered with!

Updateish - I have absolutely everything I need except my Top hats and panhard bar which will be here on the 29th according to my tracking information. The lip is going to take a small bit of modification but it lines up almost perfect and looks dope!

I'll update again next weekend once the car is low.. hoping all goes well.

15x9 -10 / 195/45/15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:08 am 

By the way... for your 5 spd swap I looked at my microfiche and found this out:

The firewall did not specify ATM or MTM, so no mods there.
The 81 Trans (22r) was different so the shifter might be in a different location. 79-80 man trans would be ideal.
The pedal bracket (bolts to the firewall and dash) is the same for 79, but in 80 they specify ATM and MTM, if you can find an 80 with a Man Trans, you will need the pedals and the bracket. You may not be able to bolt the clutch pedal to your existing bracket since yours is Auto. I can't confirm this, just a suggestion.
The floor pan for ATM and MTM is different, so you may have to do some cutting or modifying there also.

Basically, if you do decide to do the trans swap: make a list of every part associated with the swap, from clutch master to slave, pedals to shifter, etc., before you go to the yard to find a donor car. Once you find it, prepare to get everything you need and don't forget the small parts like hard lines from the clutch master to the flexible clutch slave line. Realizing that you missed something and going back to the yard only to find the car is gone can be a real bummer... I've done that when I forgot to get something once. The car was gone and I kicked myself for not thinking ahead.

Although I'm not a fan of smaller wheels, I do like those. Good choice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 am 

Great info!

I am also from the Triad and just aquired an '82 Corona. I think I've seen yours around town.

I'm a little curious now about the celica parts. Lowering it with celica spring/dampers would be interesting :)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 4   [ 80 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next