#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]
 Post subject: Easy Plymouth Arrow Engine Swaps?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:12 pm 

Hi everyone. New to the forum, long time mitsu owner, currently own two Galant VR4's and two montero's

Picking up a 1978 Plymouth Arrow from it's original owner. Maiden voyage will be 2500 miles.

Which got me to thinking, the engine might be sound enough to make the slow ride home, but I'll have all my tools with me and some time on me hands, probably access to a few garages along the way (friends)...

What's the easiest EFI engine swap for more power, while retaining the chrysler automatic 904?

I'm looking for a situation like this:
hit a junkyard, grab a newer 1.6/2.0 liter DOHC, wiring and ECU, slap engine into car, tidy up wiring, throw an inline fuel injection fuel pump in it and drive an EFI 70's coupe home.

Post subject: Re: Easy Plymouth Arrow Engine Swaps?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:01 pm 
Administrator

just the thread for you

http://classiccolt.forumcircle.com/viewtopic.php?t=246

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:46 pm 

Had to register, waiting for approval... Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:28 am 

Oh look you joined up here too...good :mrgreen:. Drive it home first then pull it apart!

Matt, I stole my Coupe from under his nose and now he's going to hunt me down for my wagon! :lol:

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:38 am 

:twisted: I'll do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:18 am 
Administrator

hey we need all the aggressive old school mitsu collectors we can get :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:23 pm 
matt wrote:

Not real sure, but I think the RWD 2.4 Sirius only is wide, whether man or auto? May take a little more work, but I think FWD motors are all narrow? (Damn Mitsu and there wide/narrow blocks :x ) Another solution may be to swap in a whole engine/auto trans from a MM and get the benefit of a OD trans, although a 16v 4G64 would be a nice swap, IMO. I am pleased with the performance and relative ease (and low cost!) of my swap. By the way, where are you picking the car up from?

Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:32 pm 

Location: Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney
May I also take this oportunity to invite you to sigma-galant.com
It's an Australian based community for 70's mitsu and has plenty of info on swaps.

The 2.6L Astron (4G54) is by far the easiest and most common swap out here as that engine I plentiful in both Carb and EFI versions.

The Sirius (4G6*) series of motors is also a fairly easy swap, but not as simple as the astron. I run an N/A 2L 4G63 DOHC in my Galant with the original box behind it. There were a few headaches in re-orientating the motor to RWD but nothing too tricky.
The astron is still way easier, it'll all come down to what's more available to you.

Keep us posted with your progress anyway. It'll be good to see another classic mitsu get some attention.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:43 pm 

Datsunrides wrote:
matt wrote:

Not real sure, but I think the RWD 2.4 Sirius only is wide, whether man or auto? May take a little more work, but I think FWD motors are all narrow? (Damn Mitsu and there wide/narrow blocks :x ) Another solution may be to swap in a whole engine/auto trans from a MM and get the benefit of a OD trans, although a 16v 4G64 would be a nice swap, IMO. I am pleased with the performance and relative ease (and low cost!) of my swap. By the way, where are you picking the car up from?

Mark

SF Bay area :wink:, He's going to fly out and check out that silver '74 wagon and a Arrow out that way, then determine which one he wants to scoop up 8).

pssssh...He just snagged a '76 Colt Galant Sedan too.

I sent him all the links for here, SG, and ClassicColt over on the galantvr4.org board.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:14 pm 
That wagon is about 45 minutes from me, and if it's that brownish Arrow listed in Hollister, that is like 10 minutes from me. The wagon supposedly runs and the Arrow has been sitting for a while so may take a little work to get running good enough to drive back. I'd say the wagon seems the better deal, but I'm a little partial to wagons anyways.

Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:13 pm 

Yes it's the brown Arrow, so he'll be right in your area then. He really wants a wagon so we will see what happens. :P

77 Colt Galant Wagon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:45 pm 

Datsunrides wrote:
That wagon is about 45 minutes from me, and if it's that brownish Arrow listed in Hollister, that is like 10 minutes from me. The wagon supposedly runs and the Arrow has been sitting for a while so may take a little work to get running good enough to drive back. I'd say the wagon seems the better deal, but I'm a little partial to wagons anyways.

Mark

I dig the Arrow, but the Wagon is what I really want, and yep, it's those two! Could I persuade you to check out the wagon for me? Possibly pay you for your time/gas to do it? I want to put a deposit on the wagon for him to hold it for two weeks before I fly out. But I don't want to do it if the car is shit mechanically, blemishes in the car are FINE, i know about the cracked fenders, i have about 30 pictures of the chassis he sent the other day, but the car running and driving is my concern. I am very capable mechanically and can fix anything. (not trying to be arrogant, it's just I am)

If I get the wagon I think I can make it back with the 2.0 just fine, assuming it's ok mechanically. I would plan to grab a stereo (no radio in it) try to fix the speedometer (or use my GPS) and pick up a set of decent wheels/tires for it (classic import car wheels are more plentiful in CA, michigan and indiana doesnt have much of anything for classic imports)

Then my girlfriend and I will take the southern route across the states, camp along the way and take tons of pictures.

Anyone in the area or across the southern area of the states that wants to cruise with us for a bit, that would be awesome. I've got a pretty decent DSLR and will gladly have my girl take some rolling shots of your ride! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:34 pm 

tj75gc wrote:
May I also take this oportunity to invite you to sigma-galant.com
It's an Australian based community for 70's mitsu and has plenty of info on swaps.

The 2.6L Astron (4G54) is by far the easiest and most common swap out here as that engine I plentiful in both Carb and EFI versions.

The Sirius (4G6*) series of motors is also a fairly easy swap, but not as simple as the astron. I run an N/A 2L 4G63 DOHC in my Galant with the original box behind it. There were a few headaches in re-orientating the motor to RWD but nothing too tricky.
The astron is still way easier, it'll all come down to what's more available to you.

Keep us posted with your progress anyway. It'll be good to see another classic mitsu get some attention.

I read your thread, i very much like your car. great color and tasteful mods. I plan to do a very similar set up to the 76 colt I just got, completely stock 4G63, havent decided NA or stock turbo dsm engine. But the 74 wagon I'll be doing a stock 4g63 turbo engine, mild mods at the most, slammed to the ground, stretched fenders, fat lip wheels, fmic in place of the grill, oil cooler hanging off the bumper, bare metal and sanded bondo. Rat-roddish.

Here's the 76 colt, came with original floor mats and the car/interior is SO clean, white velour interior, it's pimp :D The trim on the front door has started to fall off, i'll remove all of that anyhow

http://ilostmymind.com/upload/img_2544.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:57 pm 
I would be willing to take a look at the wagon if I can squeeze it in. I do have to work tomorrow, and Sunday is booked, so earliest I could do this is would be next weekend if nothing else pops up. The Arrow is a lot easier as it's basically across town. (Hollister is not very big) I could look at this during the week.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 pm 

I've pretty much ruled the Arrow out at this point, I like it but it hasnt ran in forever, plus the wagon will be easier to camp in for the ride home :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:04 am 

For anyone in the SF area;

I'll be flying in on sunday the 12th, if anyone has some wheels/tires that would look nice on the wagon and you're willing to sell, let me know.

additionally, if anyone has spare parts they're interested in selling, please let me know. I'll be looking for spare stuff for the trip home, alternator, starter, clutch, carb, anything that could give out on me over a 2500 mile trip.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 pm 

dizzy.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 17 posts ]