#
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:50 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My Rare 1980 RHD 1st Gen Prelude in US
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:31 pm 

Hey guys, I'm excited to be joining the forums here and finally got the motivation to register. I'm a huge Honda nut, have been since I was kid and have always appreciated all things old school Honda! I've owned an ef hatch and my current DD, a 99 civic ex, but never have owned an older Honda before. Last year I got the courage to look around for an older civic or accord and to my surprise I found this gem out of no where. Just like everyone else, I had too forgotten about the 1st generation prelude and didn't even think about looking for one. When I saw it for sale, I instantly drove up, test drove and drove her straight back home via a 4 hours commute with no problems. Since then, I've done everything the internet would let me do to learn more about this amazing car.

This is my 1980 Right Hand Drive Prelude XR, all 100% JDM.

At first, there was not much out there for any 1st gen preludes and the more I looked into it, the more I found some very interesting things about the car. I had to use google translate to browse numerous japanese and french websites to find out more. Soon I found myself collecting anything and everything I could get my hands on and now my bookshelf is full of the original jdm parts manuals to the brochures from the Honda Verno Dealerships. I then started to look through the folder of paperwork that the car came with and found that it had some rich history behind it. Found out I was the 7th or possibly 8th owner with the previous owners having traded it for something else.

She's been through hell and back from being almost a demolition car in a derby to a pizza car for a year. The fact alone of having this gem in a derby would literally have killed me. The windshield had been taken out and the ebrake cable was cut and possibly more if it weren't for someone knowing what the car was and saving it by trading some stereo equipment for it.

I know, I'm extremely excited to be sharing this all with you, so let me get straight to the point on how she got in the United States. The story is not 100% accurate as I haven't been able to speak or locate the original owner but the papers show her coming in the United States in either '82/83 via a US air force defense man that was stationed in Okinawa Japan. He bought the car there used and had it shipped to the US through Germany where it was legalized in a yard for a year and then taken to his home in Ohio. There he drove it for years until somewhere in 2004/2005 when he got very sick and gave it to his brother as a gift. It then started it's decent from owner to owner after his brother didn't want it anymore.

Her engine is a 1.8l EK1 CVCC-II (same as 1st gen accord) engine that came standard with a 5 speed transmission. 3BBL Downdraft Carb with automatic choke. Standard motorized sunroof and air conditioning (still works). Standard Rear Window Wiper. Fender mounted mirrors. Tudor Red Metallic Paint with chrome accents. Factory 13" optional alloy rims with Cooper Cobra Tires. She also features a unique built-in am/fm radio attached to the side of the gauge cluster with a four speaker system that came standard for the XR models. Her brakes have been recently upgraded to Re manufactured 84/85 Accord front calipers & rotors.

My current plans are restoring her to her original state and keeping the original EK1 1.8l engine. I'm hoping to have her completed in about 3-4 years. Currently her body is under rust repair as the years of abuse has played their part.

I'm even hoping maybe I can one day get in the Japanese Nostalgic Magazine with an article! *crossing fingers*

Post subject: Re: My Rare 1980 RHD 1st Gen Prelude in US
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:31 pm 

that looks like crap. you know what would make it look better? a Japanese Nostalgic Car decal! i have one for you if i ever finally meet you in person!!

sick ride. sad i didn't go to the East Coast Honda meet over the weekend. would have loved to see it..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:52 pm 

You even have the cool wheels for it :tu: I had exactly this car in lhd. Too bad I don't have it any more. snif snif Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:51 pm 

Amazing find! One of the professors where I went to college had a damn near perfect LHD one in the same color. I used to always take the long way to class in the morning so I could spend some time looking at it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:30 am 
Mild Cam

Holy cow, I can't believe you found a minty RHD Prelude in Ohio of all places! Way cool.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm 

Camshaft wrote:
Holy cow, I can't believe you found a minty RHD Prelude in Ohio of all places! Way cool.

This car was for sale almost all of last year. Very nice looking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:43 am 

Thanks so much guys for the comments!

Yeah, alot of good things seem to come out of Ohio with Honda's. lol. And she was for sale for at least 4 months from what I can recall. Guess no one either saw her or wanted to mess with it. She needs alot of TLC though.

Hopefully this winter I can get the 1.8l out, rebuilt and hot tanked with all new OEM seals. New custom brake lines and fuel lines, alongside some revised wiring. And while all that's going on, the body will be undergoing extensive rust removal and under chassis coatings. I've also tracked down new front lca's with new bushings and some rare Koni Red adjustables for the front.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:47 am 

e-at_me wrote:
that looks like crap. you know what would make it look better? a Japanese Nostalgic Car decal! i have one for you if i ever finally meet you in person!!

sick ride. sad i didn't go to the East Coast Honda meet over the weekend. would have loved to see it..

Haha, you wish it looked like crap. :roll: A JNC decal would look great on the back of this car. I sense a future purchase here soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:33 am 

Mitchn wrote:
e-at_me wrote:

Haha, you wish it looked like crap. :roll: A JNC decal would look great on the back of this car. I sense a future purchase here soon!

yeah yeah.. i'm just jealous. i really need to get my 86 civic rolling again..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 am 

Do you have a build thread or any pictures of it up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:23 am 

no because the "build" stopped 4 years ago...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:27 am 

Damn, I've only seen your facebook albums and it looks so good!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:30 am 

My illuminated Plates came in the mail today! Looking a little rough and yes, their the wrong class but for the price I couldn't beat it. Maybe down the road I can find some 50 series illuminated ones. For now, It's classified as a special vehicle, which in a sense it is. :) Now to find an old style illuminated frame or EL frame and the official seal cap.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:10 am 

Mad JDM yo :mrgreen: Haha I always <3ed your car.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 am 

Hazwan wrote:
Mad JDM yo :mrgreen: Haha I always <3ed your car.

Thank you Hazwan! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:24 am 
JNC Fanatic

I was just wondering yesterday what happened to this car. :lol: I knew a couple of the owners in Ohio and Michigan, it just kept changing hands when I had no money. :( So yeah, I'm jealous. :lol:

I found two of the old FS ads-

http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87035
http://www.xceedspeed.com/forums/showth ... p?t=153743

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 pm 

WOW awesome find probably the only one in the states? cant wait to see her whipped into her former glory! i noticed the rear wiper and mirrors are there any other little jdm options that differ from the u.s. counterpart?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:46 pm 

awesome! keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:09 am 

Got around to installing a 32/36 Weber with a oldschool Lynx Ram-Flo filter housing last month. Found it on ebay from a guy who had it on a '69 Lotus Europa. The filter was in horrible condition and was crumbling in my hands so I decided to source out a new filter. Figured since I was in town I'd stop in at the Honda Power sports shop and bought a UNI filter pad. Went home and cut it out using the old filter as a template. Would've rather had black or red, but green will suffice for now. Also installed a CNC cut EGR block off plate for some bling. haha

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:07 am 

lookin pimp man.. like it. :D

btw, have you ever gotten pulled for your vintage/antique tags? i'm thinking about throwing them on my 86 but am worried because if found to be operating beyond there stupid regs they can pull the registration for two years..

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 25 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next