#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:04 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: While not a JNC and not a car, they are still Nostalgic!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:33 am 

Most of these planes are either as old or older with maybe one being younger than most of our JNCs 8) . Plus most if not all parts are remanufactured, so like an parts store alternator, it sometimes takes 3 or 4 times to get a functioning part.

This one is one of ours and it was manufactured in 1971 8)

Several months back, the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force came out to visit with their own P-3s and compared to ours, you could very well tell they have a much higher standard to the cleanliness of the plane. They all looked brand new compared to ours :lol:.

Just thought I'd share.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

Post subject: Re: While not a JNC and not a car, they are still Nostalgic!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 pm 

The Royal New Zealand Air Force has a small fleet of these planes too! See them flying around all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm 

I'm always amazed at the long service life and consistent high quality of maintenance on planes. Although my uncle used to work on them and told you basically ignorance is bliss, for planes to last 30 years they must be doing something right.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:35 am 

I was shocked to learn how many aircraft stay in service for years and years... Til I reallized how much insurance/regulation costs to manufacturers have driven up the cost of new aircraft (of course I'm speaking more on a civillian level...)

Everything I touch on a regular basis (except for my significant other) are Japanese and over the age of 35 (76 Yamaha and Takamine guitars, a 72 Seiko, and my Z), and as long as none of those things ever touch water, they're fine ;)

I'd imagine similarly for those planes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:16 pm 

Kiwi808 wrote:
The Royal New Zealand Air Force has a small fleet of these planes too! See them flying around all the time.

So does Australia, Japan and a few other countries. We're suppose to be phasing them out starting in 2015 with a 737, but like anything..I'll believe it when I see it.

Dachshund wrote:
I was shocked to learn how many aircraft stay in service for years and years... Til I reallized how much insurance/regulation costs to manufacturers have driven up the cost of new aircraft (of course I'm speaking more on a civillian level...)

Everything I touch on a regular basis (except for my significant other) are Japanese and over the age of 35 (76 Yamaha and Takamine guitars, a 72 Seiko, and my Z), and as long as none of those things ever touch water, they're fine ;)

I'd imagine similarly for those planes.

Actually these planes see Saltwater on a regular basis! We have what's called a "birdbath" on the flightline, the planes or helicopters will taxi through it slowly to rinse off all the saltwater that is on the aircraft, if they were flying low over the water. Pretty much a carwash just for Propeller driven aircraft and Helicopters. The P-3 carries Torpedoes in its' bomb bay and has sonar bouy shoots on the belly.

77 Colt Galant Wagon

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]