#
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Anyone ever rebuilt a brake booster?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I have an 80 Corolla that I am replacing the MC on. After some thought I would also like to rebuild the brake booster if possible and feasible. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it a good choice to rebuild, or just buy one already rebuilt?

Post subject: Re: Anyone ever rebuilt a brake booster?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:17 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ah. K. Well, I am on the fence about getting it rebuilt anyway. There is a rebuilt unit on ebay that I could try. Don't need to replace it, just would like to since I know it's not doing shit.

I probably wont be worrying about it too much if I could find a setup just to remove the booster, but that looks like a whole new challenge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 am 

rkkopra73 wrote:
Brake boosters are on every single car since their inception for a very good reason.

unless of course the vehicle didnt have "power brakes" :wink:

anyways.... www.rockauto.com a1 cardone part number 53-5101 $92.79 + $20 core

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:42 am 
JNC Enthusiast

They run the same price at auto zone and cheaper on ebay. So, I do know it's still an option. It just would have been nice to try and rebuild it myself.

The thing is, on our cars, most of the boosters are not really doing anymore due to wear and tear. I did enough research to know that when the booster breaks, it just means it quits assisting you.

Now for me I want have been considering removing the booster for more space on the exhaust side when I go turbo :) Plus, this is not a DD or show car. It will occassionally get driven on the road and mostly track related things when done, so the booster is more of an issue then a help. Plus, since I have driven this car I dont think the booster is doing much, besides making it hard to predict brake feel :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:23 pm 

when the diaphragm on the booster blows you will have a massive vacuum leak and a lot of the time you will hear a hiss and feel your foot slowly go to the floor enough that you have to repump the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. if neither of these is going on i am going to venture to say there is nothing wrong with your brake booster at all

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:40 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

That could be the case, but there is a valve going from my intake to the booster that I assume could prevent a leak. Never looked into it though. I just assume.

I thought a leaky MC is the only thing that would cause you to have to pump the brakes since the booster has no fluid running through it? Judging by the booster diagram it has a rod from the pedal the booster which then is pressed against the rod that pushes into the MC.

Either way, I wont be trying to rebuild. I cleaned up my stock one and I will probably be moving to a tercel booster and MC when I try to go turbo just to make more bay room.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:08 pm 

UtahSleeper wrote:
That could be the case, but there is a valve going from my intake to the booster that I assume could prevent a leak. Never looked into it though. I just assume.

I thought a leaky MC is the only thing that would cause you to have to pump the brakes since the booster has no fluid running through it? Judging by the booster diagram it has a rod from the pedal the booster which then is pressed against the rod that pushes into the MC.

Either way, I wont be trying to rebuild. I cleaned up my stock one and I will probably be moving to a tercel booster and MC when I try to go turbo just to make more bay room.

that valve is the vacuum check valve. like a 3 dollar item at the parts house. most of the time when the mc goes bad the pedal will stay on the floor and not return without using your toes to pull it back up. not sure if others have experienced it but i have in a gm pickup where the booster went bad and i had to pump the pedal several times and the master cylinder was still good. most braking systems are remotely alike so i can compare it :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]