#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:52 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Need Help-72 600 Sedan Oil Plug (sensor)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:13 pm 

I have a 72 600 sedan and I am having a hard time finding the oil plug. Its not a normal plug because it looks like it has an oil pressure sensor type of rod going through it. I am going buggy trying to find someone to help out on figuring this out as well as looking for the part online. I am also not sure if I can just put in the normal plug because this is what all the part stores are saying that goes in their. I am starting the restoration process. Here is a picture of the item I have.

mc

Attachments:
File comment: Oil plug
2012-01-03.jpg [34.61 KiB]
Downloaded 567 times

Post subject: Re: Need Help-72 600 Sedan Oil Plug (sensor)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:14 pm 

looks like someone brazed on a different threading to fit a old style water temp sender. its probably a SAE pipe thread now, that usually what those temp senders used.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:30 pm 

I'd say go to a hardware store and try a 1/2" NPT plug. But that may not seal too well though depending on how nice the threads are in the case, you may need to use Teflon tape. If that fails and/or you want to have a proper metric plug back in there you will have to Tig weld or braze in another fitting. The more DIY way would be to drill that mess out, clean the hell out of it ( let the oil drain for like a week then use alot of brake cleaner) and JB weld a M12 nut in the hole, find a drill that make a hole the m12 nut fits snugly in. then you can screw in a regular M12 bolt and copper washer in that nut as your plug( this plug would be a bit smaller than stock but do the job without being too big and risk loss of strength in the case) . But who knows how long that would last, if you can get a NPT plug to fit well, then leave it alone.

Is the gauge still on the other end of that sensor? does it work? could be a nice feature.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:00 pm 

Thanks for the reply VWDMC,
MO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 am 

I have a nos honda factory drain plug, honda never put a sensor on any of the 600 series cars. Looks like someone was being a little creative in this application.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 am 

72cvcc600 wrote:
I have a 72 600 sedan and I am having a hard time finding the oil plug. Its not a normal plug because it looks like it has an oil pressure sensor type of rod going through it. I am going buggy trying to find someone to help out on figuring this out as well as looking for the part online. I am also not sure if I can just put in the normal plug because this is what all the part stores are saying that goes in their. I am starting the restoration process. Here is a picture of the item I have.

mc

Did you ever find a solution? It looks like you could drop the bottom case and clean things up and place a bung right in the soldered in fitting.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]