#
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: 74 Rx4 GTR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:59 am 

I just got one. 'Good' shape, almost complete, trim is perfect, glass is good, gold with black interior(all plastic there and in good shape), 5 speed, luggage rack, rust is present in the usual places, but thats OK. In time she will be returned to glory, with improvements where I see them to be neccessary- Suspension and brakes, with a more user friendly bolt pattern, improved headlights, better seats, etc. Factory color scheme, with whatever wheels I choose painted to match.

Anyone with Rx4 parts should contact me- I'm probably interested.....

Darryl

74 Rx4 GTR
83 Rx7 prepping for street/auto cross

Post subject: Re: 74 Rx4 GTR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:34 am 

Congrats! Care to share any photos?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:04 pm 

Just tried to- Says "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." Hmmmm. Can't show it to anyone here? Rx7club.com in the old school and other rotary section has them. If anyone knows what the 'sorry' thing means, let me know. I'll be happy to try again.

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:15 am 

Would love to see it!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 am 

Sent them to restoremaz.... Maybe I need more posts before I'm allowed to..... which is wierd, because I'd think alot of new posts would be ''look at what I've got/found/done''.... keyword 'LOOK'.

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:15 pm 

Location: Tucsan AZ / Davis-Monthan AFB / St.Croix Virgin Islands
Man this thing is really nice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:56 am 

zionfarm wrote:
Man this thing is really nice.

Well, from what you CAN see, yes. Of course the TIN WORM has done it due diligence, and there will be some serious metal work required to get it back to good. But as far as completeness and rarity, I would agree. Only seen pics of 2 other 74's and 1 76, and nothing in the gold. And what about the luggage rack?! I want to check with University Mazda in Seattle and see if they have any record or knowledge of it. It was where the first cars hit the US from Mazda, and the people who used to work there were the best for experience with them. I'm getting the title search going, and hopefully can find the former (hopefully the original) owner.

Don't expect to see regular progress on this car. I've got tons of others already in work(71 510 and 240Z, 73 Rx2, 83 Rx7). This was an opportunistic grab of a car I'd known about for a couple years, and decided I needed to get it into my corral, if only to save it from further deterioration or worse, disappearing all together. Its time will come.

Thanks for looking- and keep me informed if you run across parts or cars.

Darryl

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:32 am 

Glad to see this car is getting some love. I had considered buying it a few years ago when it first came up for sale. Good luck with it.

I miss the hell out of my old RX-4.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:53 pm 

Thanks Pertano- Always liked yours.

According to Roger at U-Mazda in Seattle, it was an appearance package only, and they did very few. Luggage rack was super rare. Can't imagine there are any of these left in this shape and state of completeness. Glad I grabbed it.

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:11 am 

CamanoRx2 wrote:
Thanks Pertano- Always liked yours.

According to Roger at U-Mazda in Seattle, it was an appearance package only, and they did very few. Luggage rack was super rare. Can't imagine there are any of these left in this shape and state of completeness. Glad I grabbed it.

Hi there Darryl,

Nice and rare car you got there, I also did see this car some years ago when it was for sale. - Yes, thats right, the GTR was a apperance package only available in US. - the info I have is that all GTR cars where painted Gold (Alexandrite Gold) with that black stripe and the hood painted black.

Luggage rack is not a Mazda option but possible a Local US option or even just for the Dealer who sold it, really rare and nice though...!

I still dont understand why US never got the Wheel arch moulds or the Valance crome mounted on their Rx-4s...!!! - Never got the Electrical windows either...

Good luck with the resto,

Regards - Fredrik

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:36 pm 

I've seen white and yellow, but never the gold. I'll post pics of the rust issues I'll be dealing with- a bit severe.... At least it's in my hands and dry, so it should slow down/stop.

Shop is getting an addition- putting up (2) mezzanines, 24x13 each, on both sides of the lift, to get back all the floor space taken up by tools, equipment, and disassembled cars/parts. There will be a walkway between them, and a pull down ships ladder for access.

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:53 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

The RX4 has its own styling for sure.Definately a car on my wish list. :tu:

I found a big bumpered rx4 rotory wagon at a JY in Mass. last week,pretty well thrashed and not sure if he wants to part :td:

I remember a pic of a RX4 GTR in one of the JY posts on either JNC or 3TC.com,it was a older post.

Im sure some one else checking out this post remembers seeing it.

I thought it was the link below but did not see it?

:idea: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=6735 :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:00 am 

The one I saw in a JY pic was a white 75 or 76, and was covered in bushes. I'd only seen 3 pics total, until mine.

Mezzanine steel work is done, wood work is next.- gaining 650 sq ft of floor space! Yes!

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:05 am 

CamanoRx2 wrote:
The one I saw in a JY pic was a white 75 or 76, and was covered in bushes. I'd only seen 3 pics total, until mine.

Mezzanine steel work is done, wood work is next.- gaining 650 sq ft of floor space! Yes!

Hi there,

Any chance You could find those pics of the white/yellow Rx4 GTR, because I have never seen those colours on a GTR...

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:09 am 

I don't have any myself, but if you go to rx7club.com and search 'GTR', you'll see the white one that belongs to hoofhearted, and the yellow one they say was on ebay in California. The 76 I saw was in some JY thread I saw about 2 years ago, when I first went and looked at the car I have now, and had the same questions everyone seems to have. That's the level of mystery with these- at first, many said they were BS, those in the know said they've only seen a few, you say they are all in gold like mine, yet I've never seen one until this one, etc, etc.... One guy even said he had one with a 4 link he thought was factory. Mine does have mounts on the diff that I'm not sure what attaches there. I'll shoot and post pics eventually.

74 Rx4 GTR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 am 

"Luggage rack is not a Mazda option but possible a Local US option or even just for the Dealer who sold it, really rare and nice though...!"-Enfini

I can't imagine where the rack would have come from- it 's too 'fitted' to the shape of the trunk lid for it not to be Mazda specific. I have a couple numbers from looking for the owner from the receipt I found. Hopefully that will provide some info. I'll also be registering/title transfer this week, so I'll have the name of the last registered owner.

74 Rx4 GTR

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:00 am 

CamanoRx2 wrote:
"Luggage rack is not a Mazda option but possible a Local US option or even just for the Dealer who sold it, really rare and nice though...!"-Enfini

I can't imagine where the rack would have come from- it 's too 'fitted' to the shape of the trunk lid for it not to be Mazda specific. I have a couple numbers from looking for the owner from the receipt I found. Hopefully that will provide some info. I'll also be registering/title transfer this week, so I'll have the name of the last registered owner.

Hi again,

Yeah, it's a mystery about these GTRs, but for shure it is a US model only and seem to be a Apperance package from just some dealers, dont think they where sold in all US, not shure though... - Had been good to know where they where sold and maybee from what state or dealer...

About the Luggage rack. - What I meant was that it is not a Mazda Japan original part, that means, that back then, alot of dealers or even importers, say US. had the freedom to make 'own' apperance packages or parts, parts usually start with the number (0000-)where usually for Rx4 is 1011- or 1757- and You dont find them in either parts catalogs or accessories brochures from Mazda, but they where available local in that Country, state or even Dealer/Town.

I have the Rx-4 and Cosmo Accessories brochure and they dont show any luggage rack, but I do have a rack for my Cosmo that fits spot on, but it is a aftermarket part, offcourse done for the Cosmo but not a Mazda part...

I have more then 30 brochures just about the Luce/Rx-4 in Jap-US-Eurupe-AU spec levels and I have never seen that luggage rack before, really cool...
- There is some Luce/Rx-4 models in Japan called 'Grand Tourismo', popular word back then, maybee GTR stands for that...???

About the 4-link. - We here in Europe have the the Upper 4-link brace on our Rx-4s and 929s. - If i remember correctly in US you never got that brace, i guess it was for better handling on our Winter roads over here if i recall correct.
- Maybee You could get some from over here and mount if You have the brace on your rear axel, check the frame rails for 2 bolt holes on each side...

Please upload more resto pics, eager to see the progress on the car and warehouse... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:43 pm 

That must be what that mount is for. I'll check for the frame holes once I get it in the air again. Too many other things in work at the moment, including work itself....

Thanks for the info on the rack.

74 Rx4 GTR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:42 pm 

CamanoRx2 wrote:
That must be what that mount is for. I'll check for the frame holes once I get it in the air again. Too many other things in work at the moment, including work itself....

Thanks for the info on the rack.

Mazda doesn't believe in retooling anything I am willing to bet the holes are there.

As for the rack yep it is accessory option i have the manual with them in it. Will I post pics of the manual... uh no, sorry I am still tracking down some very very rare accessories and really don't want more competition for them. I can and will post the part numbers specific for the rack. I can tell you that I have 2 of then one new (what is left of the box is Mazda) and one mounted. The only place i have ever seen the numbers is in that accessory manual and I know of at least 2 other forum members that have the same manual, they won't post this because I get to be the bad guy.

Please don't be offended I am one of he admitted GTR skeptics even though I have seen 2 or 3 pictures of cars with the stripes... I am only a skeptic because I lack information. It doesn't mean I am right, it more likely means I am wrong but I welcome being proven wrong because it only adds to Mazda history. Please understand my skepticism comes having seen 30 or 40 stripe kit variations on old school mazda parts and cars. Last year I finally got my hands on 2 original 79 Mazda Rx7 stripe kits I have been chasing for nearly 15 years, at the same time I found out that there is a specific stripe kit for the 80 LS Rx7 so it is possible I just don't count on it until I have undeniable proof

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:15 pm 

I hope I don't sound offended by your 'skepticism'. I'm not. Hopefully you can track down whatever information that will answer all the mystery surrounding this model. It would be cool to have those answers.

I'm not sure how I would provide undeniable proof (nor do I care, really), but the 40 year parts guy from the first place a rotary Mazda hit American shores telling me that it was a dealer installed package is enough for me. This paint is factory, as are all the GTR markings, so if it was done after the fact, it was done very early in the cars life. All I know is its mine, and is the only gold one around until proven otherwise. I really hope to see more of these surface from their hiding places. Get them (and EVERY other model of old school rotary) in the light so they can be saved!

Thanks for the luggage rack info. Keep your part # info- Apparently there are those that think it needs to be kept a secret. Keep yourself out of 'hot water' with them. It affects me in no way whatsoever.

74 Rx4 GTR

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next