Here are some more photos, the years of neglect have turned into years of assembly... I couldn't tell you how many more years to go, I've been pre occupied with other things. Work is incredibly busy, I'm probably one of the few lucky ones that say, recession what recession.... never been so busy continuously. Aiming for next year completion.
Been buffing away... for an average bonnet it turned out good, boot lid will be good but needs a little more compounding. There are still some marks that can be seen in certain light conditions. Im thinking of switching to a wool pad over foam, wool is more aggressive but runs cooler which should help. Worst part about painting is you become anal about everything, you notice everything that any normal person would never see. If someone else had painted it I'm 100% sure none of the defects would bother me !
Painted rear wheel arches, Mazbitz bumper fitted where it was suppose to fit no problems. Or should that be I measured everything up pretty good before welding the repairs ? Either way, it's things like this that can be disastrous at the finish line if care wasnt taken.
Other side, no twisting of bar was necessary. The only thing I need to do is bend the bar end tabs out a little once I buy some rubber to fit between the bar and body. Pic 2, another bonnet shot, I wash the bonnet down with soap and water while compounding to get a true condition of progress. Buffing compound has a habit of filling in scratches to make things look better than what they actually are, as does machine polish and wax. The bonnet has been washed, it's pretty good, I may give the car a once over once all together with a swirl remover and wax. I'm using a 2 stage polishing product, you cut/ polish then use swirl remover. I have some machine polish as well which I'll use as an intermediate step where required. Body has turned out very nice for a back yard job.
General photo and fitting up boot lid.
Cleaned up Rx3 gearbox mounts, also have a genuine Rx3 crossmember. I was under the car long ago measuring things up. I think there may be just enough room to relocate the tunnel mounts further back and use an unmodified X member as well. It's a tight fit but should be do-able. Waiting on a mate to come past so we can fix the tunnel profile for where they need to go. One of us will swing the hammer the other guy hold a dolly on the underside. Thanks to both Marty and Rohan for the parts. Second shot, decided to paint the boot. What a pain the ass that is. Despite best efforts to clean all the dust out and using a tack cloth several times there is dust here are there. A couple of hours were spent cleaning, just when you think you get it all, more comes out when an air tool is used, the joys of blasting. Now I could cut it to perfection but I think I'd rather jump out a window. It looks nice for something that will never be seen and is much better than blacking it out or tarring it.
More boot shots... Sometimes you need to take a look at how it was before you started a section like this to appreciate what it is now. I recall it being a sticky mess of tar that concealed rust here and there.
Finishing off buffing the roof edges, I mask up lines right at the edge to prevent "burn through", and to prevent creating a paint step from buffing over tape. It also helps prevent cutting up the 3" buffing pad. Out of the pads I used Farcela would have to be one of my preferred ones. I've tried 3M ones and a cheap Contour compound pad which isnt too bad to be honest. Pic 2, fitting the little rubber stoppers to the boot hinges. The original ones were fine.
Pic 1, I dreaded fitting the boot springs, was an easy job after all that dread ! This was one of things I had to repair as the spring hook brackets were broken off which meant boot springs couldn't be fitted. Now I have a boot that springs open
You can see some of my paint tools, 3" buffer fitted with Farcela compound pad, CCS 7" machine polish pad fitted to DA Polisher, there is also a 7" rotary polisher with waffle compound pad that you cant see. Last but not least a bucket of soapy water and wash cloth for checking progress. Pads need to be 100% clean otherwise its disaster
Pic 2, boot lid fitted, masked up surrounding area to prevent scuff marks from buffing.
Can you believe it, the car is going together, boot floor plugs cleaned and fitted, boot lid adjusted and fitted.... Fuel lines and rubber plug and be too far away. Engine and box is already fitted. Pic 2, Left quarter cleaned up, looks nice out there in natural light.
Left quarter cleaned up, probably just needs a wax to be honest. Pic 2, boot springs open on its own...
I should try and finish off the nosecone and be done with it (painting side)...Overall I think its going too turn out too be a nice Sunday cruiser. If I were too buy another 3 I think I'd just buy a runner and clean it up, restoration and painting in general is hard work. Painting and body repairs are more work than what 95% of people realise.