#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Daily driver tidyup: (another) '87 AW11 MR2 Super Charger
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:22 pm 

After selling my white T-top MR2 SC, I lasted all of two weeks before giving in to temptation and commenced searching for another AW11 to trundle around in for everyday duties.

If anyone's keeping count, this is AW11 number five for me :oops:

Test drove a couple of examples up here in Auckland and was severely disappointed by a) price, b) various mechanical faults, and c) an endemic reluctance on the part of each seller to negotiate a) based on b). Gave Ewan @ hayatonka a call as well, but a search of the auctions and yards in Japan yielded no results within budget, apart from a couple examples with major rust that would never have passed compliance here in NZ without $$$$ worth of repairs :?

Then just as I was about to give up, I received a phone call from a good friend in Wellington saying that one of his mates was selling a tidy hardtop manual AW11 SC, in more or less standard condition, and was I interested at all?

After a bit of back and forth negotiating (and agonizing over the fact it was midnight blue with blue interior, my least favourite colour combination of the lot) - during which the price sharpened considerably after Ben, the seller, sold the BBS rims separately - I finally caved in and said yes.

So during the third weekend of June I flew down to Wellington, picked up the car, and covered the 650km trip back home in some of the most horrendous torrential rain ever, on the sketchiest of sketchy tyres, but without incident. And more importantly, drip free, thanks to the hardtop roof :P As it happened, the very next weekend a snowstorm closed the Desert Road, so timing was impeccable.

Here it is sitting in my driveway, on the crappy balloon tyres and mega fugly wheels that replaced the BBSes :oops:

The good: 5-speed. Super charger of course. Hardtop. Wind-up windows and lightweight glass (rare). Adjustable damper shocks. Rear swaybar!

The bad: Most infuriatingly it doesn't seem to have a LSD, unless it's a Torsen of some sort. Already miss the TRD one from old whitey :(

The ugly: Smurfy blue interior. No sideskirts. Those wheels, yuck.

Within a day of getting the car home I'd already found two tiny spots of rust, naturally at the bottom of the A-pillars, but the rest of the car remains thankfully free of tinworm... the direct result of being located in inland Otago for the last few years before the previous owner bought it. Upon advice from my panelbeater and a few friends I fishoiled the most troublesome spots for peace of mind, and then set about making a list of things that needed doing. you really didn't think I would just drive the car as-is, did you?

The exterior does need a few touch-ups here and there, but unlike my TX3 which ended up being a budget blowout restoration of stupid proportions, I reckon I can get away with painting the worst affected areas and cut'n'polishing the rest. It won't be the mintest AW11 out there by a long shot, but it'll certainly be one that an "enthusiast" would still be proud to own.

Thanks to the strong NZ dollar it was a good time as any to pick up a Twos R Us engine cover gas prop kit; I've been wanting one for a long time, but I'd never kept an AW11 long enough to really justify the effort. The key blank was a last minute "add to cart" decision :D

and I finally found a use for the vintage deep-dish Momo wheel in my parts pile. Excuse the electric blue interior...

The fugly wheels have got to go, and the balloon tyres are not conducive to epic twisty touge runs, so I ordered a set of 14" RE001s (the only ones in the country, apparently) and found some suitably retro wheels to whack them onto.

Eventually the AW11 will wear some 15" Buddyclub P1s in bronze, but the Speedlines will do for now.

The other week I happened to stumble across a pleasant chap not far from my house who was wrecking an AW11 in midnight blue. Now half the exterior panels from his wreck reside in my garage ;)

Including a pair of sideskirts, which my panelbeater will find a way to retrofit to the car and hopefully prevent any future rust issues. One distinct advantage of having an AW11 without skirts from factory is that you can check the condition of the sills and be satisfied they haven't completely rotted away...

then someone tipped me off to the presence of a complete '89 AW11 at Pick a Part Avondale, so I made haste down there to see what I could scavenge. Arrived about 20 minutes too late to score the LED rear spoiler according to the nice lady at the counter, but did manage to grab a whole swag of other small bits, including the swanky updated mirrors that only came on that year.

opinions are divided over whether chunky is better than swanky, but they take literally minutes to swap so it's not the end of the world.

A hot date with the panel shop and paint booth is fast approaching, so I guess the next update will occur after this takes place, or once the tyres arrive and I can finally fit the Speedline telephone dials, or if I do something incredibly impulsive and click buy now on that Cusco LSD that keeps taunting me on Yahoo Japan... :roll:

but as this is my daily driver I can't really justify having it off the road for too long, nor do I really want to do anything outrageous like fit monstrous swaybars, or gigantic blower pulley kits, or anything that would impinge on reliability. Yes it is a LOT slower than the white AW11 was, but I suppose I should exercise a shred of self-control now and again, am I right?

lololololol.

Post subject: Re: Daily driver tidyup: (another) '87 AW11 MR2 Super Charge
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 pm 

I love these cars. I beat most of gt2 in one. The sc models aren't very popular here and I've never owned any Mr2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:29 am 

Yes! So excite that the supercharged AW11 is going to be in Forza 4 as well.

the styling is definitely love or hate, I'm not sure how popular they actually are in the USA but there's certainly a huge cult following in Japan and here in NZ as well (both supercharged and N/A models).

Possibly the one drawback of the SC model in the States was that they were all T-top, no exception? T-tops have their uses, but over time they just become giant sieves.

if I ever decide to convert the interior in mine from blue to black (I have some of the parts already, except the dash, which will be a **** to swap anyway) I happen to have the perfect seats for it as well.

But admittedly, it is quite a lot of effort for a daily driver.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:36 pm 

Orion wrote:
Yes

like the seats design
i have the same seats in my other ride
but hasnt that desing
pretty cool

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:16 pm 

cheers :)

I've only ever seen a handful of matching pairs with that particular camouflage pattern. Must have been a limited run back in the 1980s.

Anyway, some new wheels:

four 15x7+35 Buddyclub P1s are nowe mine. Plus some Falken Azeni semi slicks which may or may not be super hard and useless for anything except skids. and there I was hoping not to spend any cash before payday!

tyres will find their way onto my track car, and the rims have wobbles which need to be repaired (as the seller reckons they need quite a few wheel weights each to balance properly) and refurbished then repainted in a nice shade of bronze or gunmetal.

However, white doesn't actually look too bad on a blue AW11, as this video demonstrates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-mUvV2Ruw

But if I can find a bronze as close to the colour on my old AW11, then I'll be happy!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:13 pm 

More AW11 love! :mrgreen:

I'm working on bringing mine back up to daily driver status. It's an '89 T-top N/A. Ice blue on blue interior, so, I kind of have a soft spot for blue interior. :oops:

Good work on yours! I reeeally need to start building the 4agze that's sitting, unloved in my shop, next to the completely gutted '85 shell.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:42 am 

Great to see another AW11 around, especially a hardtop S/C :D
We only got the S/C in T-Top form here in the US, but a swap is a simple bolt on affair.
Sorry you got stuck with the disgusting blue interior. :td:

My husband & I are on our 3rd AW11 - we got a white 87 hardtop which had the nauseating blue interior as well.
Thankfully our '89 had the black interior which we swapped over to the white hardtop so a nice pleasing black interior resides there now :)
We're also putting the S/C motor in the 87 -- had it in the 89 (our 1st motor swap) :)
We lost the 89 to rust + chassis damage.

I'd pick up a larger crank pulley at the very least, a good JDM brand that has the rubber damper like either the HKS or the large 175mm Cusco pulley.
I have the Cusco pulley on our S/C motor & can't imagine the motor without it.

Looks like you have a good solid chassis to start with :tu:

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:04 pm 

always liked these.... when u do find one on the east coast worth owning people want a rediculous amount for them

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:39 pm 

A pulley upgrade would be nice, although more of a 'want' than a 'need' :)

with that said though - my white SC had a HKS pulley and matching extractors, ran 10psi and posted a very healthy 140ish PS at the rear wheels through a pokey restrictive exhaust!

Jury is still out on the blue interior. Some days it's annoying, other days i hardly notice...

anyway, an update of sorts... finally picked up my Buddyclubs the other weekend when a friend and I cruised down to Palmerston North to grab his KP starlet project car. The wheels started off in Wellington at literally the other end of the island, and due to a comedy of errors I was unable to get them any further than Palmy after a month of trying. Frustration!

Spun them up on the wheel balancing machine after getting the semis removed and sure enough two were completely bent out of shape, one was marginal, and the last one appeared fine. My usual repairer Arrow Wheels were too busy to look at them so I went to a place called WRS in Penrose (recommended by Irving at Frank Allen GI), who straightened the rims within three days and then dunked 'em in the acid bath for the rest of the week to have all the disgusting old white paint stripped off.

Stopped by yesterday to see how they were getting on, and one wheel was pretty much done. Result:

need to decide what shade of bronze to paint these bad boys :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:06 pm 

Nothing better than a blue interior, you nuts! :mrgreen:

Car looks good though, Im going to look at an 86 n/a tomorrow myself..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 pm 

Buddyclubs are back from the wheel repairers and ready for a fresh coat of paint. At this stage I'm happy for my painter to spray them unless I get a better offer from a powdercoater or somewhere else - as suggested on another forum, hopefully he should be able to do them in a decent 2K.

I had him paint the Rallyracing wheels on the TX3, and those came up with nary a scratch - even after I let the monkeys from a less than reputable tyre shop fit the tyres.

they look kinda cool all ratty aluminium spec though! Gonna leave the slight kerbing marks, it's not serious enough to warrant dishing out another $40 per rim to repair, and only noticeable up close anyway.

the RX-7 will sacrifice its 15" tyres to make this happen, they've only done about 1000km and are going to waste just sitting around. Gonna fit some Windmuehle style replicas in 14" instead that would look quite choice/disgusting. Or maybe my friend's Volks if he wants to part with them for a sharp price.

Also with summer fast approaching (complete with super humid daytime temperatures here in Auckland), functional air conditioning would be nice. I am such a sucker for not sorting that out the first week I had the car :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:10 am 

My panelbeaters cleared some space down at their werkshop for the AW11 at long last. Basically some guy's Fiat 131 had been there forever and a day, and finally left last week for god knows where (hopefully the car crusher). It was there three years ago when my other car was getting intimate with the chassis machine, for god's sake!

I dropped the AW off on Tuesday along with a bunch of extras: side skirts to be fitted, bonnet etc.

Greg got straight into the stripping process on Wednesday, and this is what it looked like when I turned up today with the list of things to fix, and a couple of bits I'd forgotten to drop off:

Fortunately for my sanity (and wallet), apart from the two small pieces of rust in the bottom of the A-pillars on both sides, no other serious rust was found anywhere on the car. Although I'm expecting some to appear when the little "triangles" in front of the rear wheel arches get removed as part of the sideskirt fitting process.

oh, and the usual front bumper support rust. Ch-wop-wop :( Time to find another one, uuughhh.

Photo of the rust hole on the passenger side, it is but a minnow compared to how rotten my last one was in the same general area.

Didn't get a photo of the driver's side due to the awkward angle, and it's just a little bit of surface bubbling anyway. But as a bonus, the front guards are in decent condition and still contain 100% metal content. Three of my previous AW11s had had "repairs" performed to their front guards in the form of chicken wire/newspaper/bog/a combination of all three :shock:

however all four wheelarches need to be repaired thanks to some moron's terrible guard-roller botch-job. Seriously, what was the previous owner thinking?

I also sent the sweet factory front lip off to be plastic-welded and reconditioned. The other option was to buy a brand new one ex Toyota for around a thousand bucks. Yeah, nah. Gotta hunt around for replacement brackets nowe:

Trick is not to go completely bonkers like I did with the last restoration project, because this time I don't have $15,000 just lying around as throwaway money. I may have no choice but to primer the bugger up and drive around all haggard-spec for a while until I can get it painted and the pinstriping and decals re-applied.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:17 am 

very cool. Nice optionless 'G, Supercharger'. :)
I find it interesting dark blue on blue is your LEAST favourite colour combo though, as its always been one of my favourites! different strokes for different folks! just wait until you see it all painted eh..! :D

With that front bumper Reo, I'd salvage that one I reckon. unless you're buying new, you'd be hard-pressed finding a better used one! it looks to be straight with only a few rust holes - i'd grind+POR15 (or similar) and just put it back in there.
As for the front lip; I bought the two parts, genuine Toyota, new, probably 3 years ago.. from what i remember it was less than $400AUD at the time.

excited to see how this goes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:22 pm 

RdS wrote:
very cool. Nice optionless 'G, Supercharger'. :)
I find it interesting dark blue on blue is your LEAST favourite colour combo though, as its always been one of my favourites! different strokes for different folks! just wait until you see it all painted eh..! :D

With that front bumper Reo, I'd salvage that one I reckon. unless you're buying new, you'd be hard-pressed finding a better used one! it looks to be straight with only a few rust holes - i'd grind+POR15 (or similar) and just put it back in there.
As for the front lip; I bought the two parts, genuine Toyota, new, probably 3 years ago.. from what i remember it was less than $400AUD at the time.

excited to see how this goes. :)

The blue mica is growing on me, slowly. As you say, I'll reserve judgment until everything's all painted :)

how's this for a nice surprise - Toyota NZ has nine genuine front bumper supports currently in stock! And the pricing is somewhat reasonable too, compared to the quote I got for fixing up the existing. Will look into it today, I might also ask for a quote on the front lip parts for a chuckle...

Anyway, a bit of progress to see in the new year: managed to obtain an '89 spec black interior from a guy that's turning one into a racecar, so I have The Option of getting rid of the smurf blue if I so desire. He also gave me the rare LED rear spoiler, which was a bloody good score, as I know they're worth moonbeams!

Fitting sideskirts, repairing the failed attempt at rolling the guards, and making sure the doors/bonnet/panels all line up properly is all on the cards for next week once my panelbeater comes back from holiday. Meanwhile my usual painter has recommended that I look for someone else to paint the bits and bobs that require it - typically the list of items has grown considerably from when I first started pulling the car apart (with the addition of the '89 spec mirrors and rear LED spoiler), and my shoestring budget would most likely be blown if he was to undertake it all. So a few people from a different forum have all recommended an alternative place where I may make some inquiries once they reopen.

oh, and my Humbug 2011 present to myself:

AW11 SC Cusco rear strut brace.

I've currently got this vanity licence plate kicking around unmanufactured. Tempted to get it made and whack it on the AW...

though the beauty of it is that it suits all of my cars :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 pm 

Conversation with panelbeater on Tuesday went something like this:

"Sup Ed, I found some rust in the passenger side sill."
"o rly? was it behind the triangular cover in front of the rear wheelarch?"
<long silence> "...damn you know way too much about AW11s."

was moar of a lucky guess on my part actually, coupled with the knowledge that the only area of the sills I couldn't inspect when buying the car was behind said triangular covers :lol:

oh, and a huge thankyou to Mark @ Manawatu Toyota for sorting out a brand new genuine bumper support, at a very sharp price, post haste!

all going well I should have the car back on Thursday to get a WOF, will drive around for a bit until I sort out the paint. As the next series of photos indicate - the Italian Weight Reduction is actually far less serious than I thought!

New TGP bumper support fitted. All I need nowe are some lush clear indicators. Might be my next purchase via Hayatonka ;)

A efw months ago the bracket holding the front licence plate snapped off (about 10 minutes out of Matata in torrential rain...) and ever since then the plate has been attached to the front grille by means of cable ties (and hope). No more! The bracket has been repaired and new steel welded in to make it approximately ten times as strong.

If the plate ever falls off again I'll eat my shoe.

An assortment of blasted and treated brackets to be refitted:

The front lip also arrived back from the plastic welders, all repaired and ready to be prepped/repainted. The price was a very reasonable $115. Had the option of buying new pieces ex Japan thru Toyota, but the lead times were in the region of months at a cost of over $500. Still nice to know that the parts can still be bought brand new~!

Should look good once back on the vehicle. I always chuckle whenever I see smug AW11 "enthusiasts" whinging about not being able to find replacement front lips. Just Do The Research, guys!

Was expecting to find a giant rusthole here (vent behind the C pillar trim), but to one's pleasant surprise...

And finally - the rust that was discovered yesterday lives here, in the passenger side sill behind the old triangular end caps. It's definitely nowhere near as bad as any of my old AW11s, which is a good testament to how tidy this car really is overall, but I've asked Greg to make up a new patch to be welded into place to prevent further deterioration. Especially since it will be covered up by the new side skirts - better safe than sorry, rite?

Driver's side isn't as bad, will just need a blast and grind and a heap of Brunox/POR15/fishoil before being repainted.

End cap triangles which hide the rust. Bad triangles!

The engine cover prop rod from the first update has also been installed. It is rad, and definitely worth the $40 I paid.

Bonus photo: dirty DR30 coupe is dirty... this is what I've been dailying while the AW11 is off the road. Can't wait to clean it up and park it back in the shed under its cover.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 am 

Back together again, looking like a bit o' a bitsa!

It'll do until I figure out exactly what bits need painting (besides the obvious) :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:45 pm 

Sneaked the AW11 into the new shed for some tinkering today, with the help of my friend Dave. Officially I'm not supposed to be using it until the garage company says I can (which they haven't yet) - but as far as we can tell council have signed the structure off, and I've paid a heap of money for the privilege, so why the hell not :D

totally loving the amount of space I've got to play with at the moment; obviously this is set to change in the not too distant future... if only I could stop worrying about the cars leaking oil all over the floor!

First things first. Due to needing new wheels and tyres for a WOF, and with the Buddyclub P-1s far from ready, I had to find some 15s to roll around on in the interim. Enter Brad from oldschool.co.nz and his kind offer of some '80s spec 15" Linea Sport Turbofins, complete with the rare "Utmost" racing saucers. Wanted to make sure they fit 100% without fouling on the brake calipers unlike the last few sets of wheels I stupidly wasted a bunch of dollars on, so picked one up for test fitting.

Racing Saucer close up, complete with amusing Engrish slogan :lol:

And the results were nigh on perfect. No fouling and no guard rub. Sold, cheers Brad!

Hopefully further on down the track I'll get them refurbished to this standard and placed into my repository of sweet rims, to be swapped on if the need ever arises... 8)

Next task was to replace four brake hose clips, and two completely shagged front swaybar links. HUGE thanks to another oldschool.co.nz member (loest8) for hooking me up with a near flawless pair of replacement ones, for the sum of zero pesos. What a GC!

The one on the driver's side proved to be rather bent, and was the cause of some rather alarming pulling-to-the-right issues. Ironically though, the passenger side one (which I didn't take any photos of) was in far worse condition even though it initially appeared to be fine.

All finished and parked up for the night!

Showing off the neat '89 spec LED rear spoiler. Needs to be the same colour as the rest of the car for maximum elegance, but it's still neater than running an aftermarket high stop light.

Also got sick of the strut brace gathering dust in the corner of the lounge so moved it out to the shed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:31 am 

Ugly blue interior, begone!

Decided to get productive and swap over the black interior that's been lurking in the depths of my shed for over a year. This entailed gutting the whole cabin on what seemed like the hottest two days of summer so far, and then spending another two days of re-assembly. The results were worth it in the end though!

With the black interior I guarantee the cabin temperature will be a thousand times worse while sitting in the sun, so I should probably re-gas the A/C like I said I was gonna...

Goodbye tacky smurf/electric blue:

Hello low-key black goodness.

The difference between black and blue...

In a strange aesthetic mismatch on Toyota's part, the fabric pattern of the '89 spec seats doesn't match the door cards - I assume this is because they are manual-winder as opposed to the more prevalent electric type.

and to finish, another view of the cockpit. What a difference black makes! And no, I still haven't painted those wing mirrors. Or the rear spoiler, or the wheels, for that matter...

Save for a few little odds and ends (which remain blue) the conversion is 99% complete. I'm hoping to be able to slowly collect the missing bits from trademe, or even trawl pick a part for the more "generic" '80s Toyota stuff like door handle surrounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:37 am 
Mild Cam

Nice shed! :shock: I liked the blue interior (I'm partial) but the black looks good...will you be fitting those funky Recaros? They'd look great, especially if you painted those wheels white to match.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:03 pm 

Camshaft wrote:
Nice shed! :shock: I liked the blue interior (I'm partial) but the black looks good...will you be fitting those funky Recaros? They'd look great, especially if you painted those wheels white to match.

Cheers :)

I did consider fitting the Recaros at one stage, however the AW11 rails/mounts are part of the seat and not a separate assembly. Meaning I'd either have to chop a pair of seats up, or buy some Recaro aftermarket rails out of Japan.

Might revisit the idea if/when I get a bit of spare time and cash...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 26 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next