#
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:32 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 44 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Honda n600 Restore
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 pm 

G'day been restoring this n600 over the past year, the car has a rebuilt engine, I'm currently getting the interior upto scratch and also the body.

here's some pictures and info of its progress.

the car when i got it:

the bonnet and roof were much the same condition but overall the car was rust free just some pin dents

stripping the n600 back to bare metal
Image Image Image Image Image

smoothing the body

getting closer to putting the colour down

this is the colour i have chosen

new tyres, rims painted, inner gaurds done, polished hubcaps.
Image Image

I managed to find and purchase a pair of very stuffed and rusted n600 sedans one which had a deluxe dash which has a tacho and a trip meter in the speedo, also the other car had the deluxe centre console, gear knob and steering wheel. and i already had front disc brakes on the car and found a full set of deluxe badges in my collection of bits, so i'll be putting the deluxe items to use in this n600 (be a shame not to use them)

here's some work i have done so far.

the plastics were almost light grey in spots so a alot of polishing went on to bring the gauge rings back to good and the face panel, this meant i'd lose the silver paint that borders them but it was mostly scratched off anyway.

see the difference here:

the deluxe gear knob =)

i decided to ditch the stick on woodgrain, so i set to work peeling it off and removed all the glue residue, it was just too fadded and bubling in spots, also until i have the deluxe steering wheel repaired i have taken the center spline and horn button off a spare deluxe wheel and fitted it to an old eb1 civic aftermarket wheel to keep things looking neat.

Last edited by Nitrous on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Honda n600 Restore
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:22 pm 

Really nice work! In special with the plastics! What product have you used in them to polish? You had luck with that body without rust, not like mine :cry:
Please keep posting photos, really helps!
Greetings

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:27 pm 

Nice!
Love your attention to details :tu:

Do you have more info on the process of removing the woodgrain from the console??
I've been wondering what to do with mine as it has become wery dull in the colors, and has some chips and scratches.
Allthough I'd like to keep as much of the Delux spec as possible, I can definetively live with a black dash if it comes out as good looking as yours.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:22 am 

vynx wrote:
Really nice work! In special with the plastics! What product have you used in them to polish? You had luck with that body without rust, not like mine :cry:
Please keep posting photos, really helps!
Greetings

G'day,

Yeah I was lucky with the body, no rust in the usual places.

On the plastics to start I used a metal polish called AUTOSOL, (you could also use a cutting compound or there is probably a plastic polish) I also used a fine steel wool with the metal polish in the very bad spots, then I finished with a brass polish lol (BRASSO) as it is nice And fine And leaves no scratches in the plastic And also doesn't leave residue also easily dusts off.

Mine were very faded as the car they came from had been in a paddoc for years in full sun and also had half the roof rusted completely out of it. The dash pad was completely stuffed cracked beyond repair. But the one I already had was great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:51 am 

Affen wrote:
Nice!
Love your attention to details :tu:

Do you have more info on the process of removing the woodgrain from the console??
I've been wondering what to do with mine as it has become wery dull in the colors, and has some chips and scratches.
Allthough I'd like to keep as much of the Delux spec as possible, I can definetively live with a black dash if it comes out as good looking as yours.

G'day
Yeah I'm the same, I wanted to have mine show all the woodgrain as the deluxe would have looked, but I've put so much into making the car look new everhwhere else I couldn't leave the dash looking so faded and wornout.

The woodgrain was easy to remove, I just got a butter knife under the edge where it wraps around the corner a bit near the glovebox opening, mine was a sticky backed thin aluminium with woodgrain finish, but this may vary from the australian model to others. (Not sure). Anyway after peeling that off you are left with the textured plastic that a standard dash has, also not all the glue came off with the woodgrain so with the glue that was left I just used a plastic reviver spray And a cloth and the glue just sort of rolled up into balls and came off if too much glue is left behind there is probably some sort of glue dissolver available, just make sure its safe to use on plastic.

Also if you want it to look as it was before maybe search ebay or somewhere for a 1mm self-adhesive woodgrain laminate, even use what u remove from the dash as a template???

Hope that helps you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 pm 

Nice tips! both plastic restoration and woodgrain removal :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:00 pm 

Thanks guys,

I thought whilst waiting for the car to be painted i'd chop my n600 rusty wreck in half and see if i could salvage it for use as a trailer behind the n600

here's some pics, (nothing exciting) I'll also be chopping the roof off yet so the top of the trailer will be where the bottom of the windows were.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:20 am 

:shock: nice rust, will be interesting see it after you work in it, by the way, is curious that that rear half is rusted in spots where mine not and is totally fine in the places mine is rusted :oops: I miss work in my flea...
Greetings and keep going, you have here a fan of your restoration :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 pm 

all trimmed up ready for some welding :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:23 am 

g'day all, can anyone post up a picture of the tacho drive cable for me?, its the only part i'm missing, even if someone can just undo one from the engine end for me and take a picture, just so i know what i'm looking for, i worked out the bit that screws up to the tacho is the same as the speedo drive. just need to know what the other end looks like. i'll have to try and find one or try and get something made. :shock:

any help very appreciated 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:24 am 

Take a look to this, I think it shares the speedo cable with the N360:
http://images.cmsnl.com/img/products/ca ... 1_5104.jpg
Greetings

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:57 am 

Thanks Vynx, but i pretty sure thats just a speedo cable, the small end fits the back of the tacho but the other end is different, doesnt have a screw cap on the other end either. It looks like the tacho cable just pokes down in the hole where it goes onto the cam drive and a bolt just gets tightened against it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:09 am 

My partner Jen whipped up a new gearboot for the 600, as you can see the old one was past its used by date.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:22 am 

:D A bit more progress...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:12 am 

:shock: nice and shiny....after you finish this one I will send you mine :mrgreen:
Nice paint Job and nice colour!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:50 pm 

im really liking that color please tell me you have a color code for it and possibly some pics in the sun light?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:12 am 

Hello,

I love your N600 colour too. You displayed a Jazz pic, so I suppose you've chosen a Honda color ? I still can't figure out what blue I need for my 600 ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14704. May be you have my solution :wink:

Happy Xmas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:08 pm 

vynx wrote:
:shock: nice and shiny....after you finish this one I will send you mine :mrgreen:
Nice paint Job and nice colour!

lol postage might be pricey :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:12 pm 

bonvo wrote:
im really liking that color please tell me you have a color code for it and possibly some pics in the sun light?

don't know the paint code only the name - cerulean blue, its the honda jazz blue, i don't have any pics of it in the sunlight yet but will take some soon.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:17 pm 

pierren600 wrote:
Hello,

I love your N600 colour too. You displayed a Jazz pic, so I suppose you've chosen a Honda color ? I still can't figure out what blue I need for my 600 ---> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14704. May be you have my solution :wink:

Happy Xmas

hey,

yeah i just went to my local du pont paint dealer and went through the honda colour book they had, the colour is cerulean blue, if my honda was factory blue i probably would have tried to spray it the original blue, i noticed you have already tried to get it matched with no sucess though.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 44 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next