#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Death of the car enthusiast
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:29 pm 

Quote:
Look at what's happening with the american car scene, all the cars are the same. all the engine swaps, brake and wheel setups are the same. I hope that I never see the japanese car scene go the same way, but sadly it has already started

Dont mean to rub anyone up the wrong way, but JNC has been like that since ive joined. Theres an un-written rule here that states "must be undriveably low, wheels must stick out of arches, must be done this style" and so on and so - its not limited to just here, like you pointed out its accross a few different "scenes" [ie VW, Stanceworks crap etc]. Cars stopped being about modifying and individuality a long time ago, now its build-to-conform-with-the-crowd sorta crap.

Ive been singled out here once before about my car - I was going to put 17" 3 piece wheels on it which naturally earnt me the wrath of the 13x10 brigades. Do i care? Not one bit - they can go have their over-stretched 185's on their wheels, ill prefer to be able to continue to fit my 300mm discs and twin piston rotors under my wheels, along with having a decent contact patch on the road because lets face it, with a 500hp roller bearing turbo I NEED IT.

The thing most people dont understand about the car scene any more [crap, im not even 25 yet im talking like this] is your supposed to modify the car TO SUIT YOU - improve on areas where YOU feel the car needs improvement. Lost on many that just go the wheel-slam-dildogearknob-fuzzy dice route because thats the accepted norm.

I need power, i need RWD, i need handling, hence youll never see ANY of my cars with 10mm of suspension travel till the bump stops :lol:

Daily 78 Isuzu Gemini Sedan, stock G161z, Rodeo EFI, 500hp roller, 157rwkw. Fun :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:39 am 
JNC Fanatic

F3ared wrote:
Quote:
Look at what's happening with the american car scene, all the cars are the same. all the engine swaps, brake and wheel setups are the same. I hope that I never see the japanese car scene go the same way, but sadly it has already started

The thing most people dont understand about the car scene any more [crap, im not even 25 yet im talking like this] is your supposed to modify the car TO SUIT YOU - improve on areas where YOU feel the car needs improvement. Lost on many that just go the wheel-slam-dildogearknob-fuzzy dice route because thats the accepted norm.

I need power, i need RWD, i need handling, hence youll never see ANY of my cars with 10mm of suspension travel till the bump stops :lol:

AMEN. Follow your OWN road... screw being a follower. :tu:

My S12 ISN'T dropped, and it doesn't need it... the 50 series low-pro Falkens are GOOD enough.

Plus, the roads and potholes on New England roads suck ass, anyways. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 am 

I know, good topic indeed.

As the audio enthousist, the real classic car enthousist will die in future.

Example is those modern mega big " chrome rims on a dropped classic...

My style is to rebuild it as original as possible, and add some era-equivalent wheels for better looks, as lowering. Not 100% original, but like that.

And keep original 13" steelys in the attic meanwhile, in future they can be widened and re used with the original inox wheeltrims.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:24 pm 

As a 17 year old with a 74 SR5 Corolla I am on the same page as you guys. I think this mostly goes on with the 240 scene and the newer Japanese cars. I am sick of seeing the same stuff though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:13 am 

The most interesting thing about various subcultures/hobbies/lifestyles, is how it's members constantly feel like theirs is dying. Yes, the norms for the auto enthusiast are changing, just as they always have. Cars have slowly been getting more and more complicated for 100 years now, with a rather large jump in complexity in the 70's/80's. Part of that complexity has made it harder for enthusiast to do things on their own, but the trade offs been increased efficiency and performance and comfort.

However, I find it funny when people talk about how the subsections other than theirs, or even within their own lack creativity. At the end of the day, true creativity is generally not all that creative. Let's face it, the vast majority are merely combining elements they liked. At the end of the day, all of our various subsections of the automotive lifestyle have their own tropes, wheels, off set, tuning fads, we all build off of each other. Where certain people only do wheels and audio, it may be because that's all they know. Outside of a couple Jory periods of time the auto-subculture has always been small. Fact is, not everyone knows or cares just how much can be done to their cars.

Another thing is we tend to apply our tastes and values onto others. We look at guys grabbing old American cars and putting them on enormous shiny truck wheels and think they're bizarre. Let's face it, we treat old Japanese cars in a way that most new cars dont get. We look at what others are doing and imitate the portions we like/are capable of.

The Auto-enthusiast isn't dying, just changing. It may not be what you're used to, but that's ok. Afterall, the changes that have already occurred are what have brought us here. Rather then lament the inevitable and judge the taste of others, why not celebrate what's happening all around us. Whether its a new euro in big wheels with all the tech in the world, an old American hot rod, lowriders, classic resto's even Donks and ricers, they all deserve the same respect we ask for our own rides of choice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:20 pm 

I just wish people would simply restore their old cars nowadays. Especially Japanese models.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 pm 

Not sure if I have any right to chime in, but having owned my 79 Corolla for all of... well 6 days now, I have noticed the "trend" also. I can respect it, because of the history and "old school" look... but it's not what will work for me, especially since I plan on driving her every day. I need comfort, convenience, reliability, and handling. These things are what led me to the purchase that I did. Perfect platform to meet those requirements, especially considering she has most of those to begin with. And great fuel mileage is a very nice plus!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:09 pm 

I guess I side to much with the Stanced/flush/vip crowd because I like the end result and the look of extremely low cars in general (I blame my minitruck roots). I often thought about going with a newer car or something a bit more common because I like that the part support is there and there are lots of examples of how to and how not to do things already out there. Luckly when a car is popular to mod you get to see the ends and outs of living with that car without even pulling out the cash yet. I like the modern car culture because I personally see a huge variety of cars now days where just 5 or 6 years ago all I saw were Hondas and DSM being modded locally when it came to Japanese tuners. Many of the higher end cars like your Supra's, WRX, etc were there but not many examples due to how expensive alot of them still where for your average highschool/college kid. Today if I went out for a car night I'll see a dedicated 300zx group hanging out with the civic kids who go to school with a bunch of laid back older VW guys, etc etc. There is so much more there for everyone and its great when you see something you don't normally see and everyone is curious and suddenly you have 50 people surronding the guys who just drove up in a NSX with their MR2 buddy because its not often we even see those cars represented in these parts. A lot of cars we loved as youngin's are suddenly in our price range as long as we have the skills to find them.

Me I decided to go with a car I always wanted as a kid/teen and its just a bonus that there is a huge knowledge base and a massive part supply and aftermarket. Sure we've seen civics done up in just about every way or shape but I'm still convinced that there is enough wiggle room for me to just do my own thing and end up with a fun car that I took the time with to make my own. Sure it's always tempting to grab the newest magazine and just copy the parts list (check out that clean EF Sedan in the latest Honda Tuning) but I know that when I sit down in that car it won't feel as right as my unfinished car does right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:42 pm 

I see a lot of what people do to their cars (JDM and US muscle) and cringe. My tastes are also pretty specific. I like tastefully done upgrades. Unless the car is special or significant in some way, why not do it how you want it?

That said, I see a lot of things that drop my jaw with how bad they look, but I try to give people enough respect to not crap on their choices. At least not directly. :lol:

In return, I hope they give me the same respect and don't feel they should tell me how my car should be.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 29 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2