#
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1977 Mazda RX3SP in Junkyard. Should it be saved?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 am 

beans161 wrote:
people like me dream of stubling across a car like that, not that i stroll around looking for cars to buy, but if I came across that puppy i'd be doing my best to see it in my garage..

Word!! :tu: :tu:

This car has been a dream for me for a big while now. sadly they're tooo rare here in europe. so get the car towed home!! now!! :D

Post subject: Re: 1977 Mazda RX3SP in Junkyard. Save it? Part it?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:52 pm 

Jackpot!!!

That car is so rare, that it should be restored. Wow! I am not sure how easy it would be to find the rear louvers for it, but most body panels are shared with the 808, if I am not mistaken.

I had one in the early 80's, and regret having sold it ever since (I had too. Finish 4-year service in USMC, could not find job, and was behind on rent almost 3 months) :(

GerryLP 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 am 

save it brother :tu: :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:59 am 

yes jon save it, like i said in my email back to you call me I'll buy it

DAVE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:52 am 

I'm one of the guys gypsy mentioned in Australia building an SP replica (John, I'd like to know who the other one is). Man, I'd be all over that like a fat kit onto a cup cake!

I'm having so much trouble finding a front spoiler, I know the originals were fragile and a lot of them got broken but I know there's someone making reproductions but I haven't been able to find out who, can anyone help?

GET THAT SP!!

Keith :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:14 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Keith the front SP air dam would be one part I'd go out of my way not to find :lol:

Was the SP an American/ Canadian market only car ? There's a few nice ones floating around on YouTube, the chrome wheels really suits the SP cars with their bright colours. .... still tempting !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:42 am 

[quote="gypsy"]Keith the front SP air dam would be one part I'd go out of my way not to find :lol:

Was the SP an American/ Canadian market only car ?

All model year 1977 and 1978 RX-3s sold in North America were SPs. During those two model years, only about 1500 were imported. They came from the factory with the matte black trim (except nose piece) and were available in red/orange, yellow, white, silver and blue. The "Appearance Package" was added at the port of entry but only to certain cars of certain colors and only on manual transmission cars. The "appearance package" consisted of the front air dam, rear spoiler, shades on side and rear windows, and stripe kit (supplied by the American company "Shadow"). The two rear windows were fixed and couldn't roll down. The "appearance package" could also be obtained at the dealer. Auto trans and air-conditioning were available as options. Seats were vinyl with plaid inserts (red/yellow/blue) or full vinyl. The number of SPs with the "appearance package" is unknown...possibly half.
SPs suffered from inflated prices of about $4500 in 1977 without options. Add the "Appearance Package" and dealer mark-up and the cost was over $5000 (big money back then). They were a hard sell, and was basically a six year old car by then. The new GLC/323 was modern and fuel efficient and started at $2995-$3695 was better suited for the times. The SP was geared to the younger crowd but they couldn't afford the price. The car looked too outrageous for the older crowd who could afford it, so not many were sold. One thing the car did have was a very long engine warranty, 5 years 75,000 miles, which was unheard of in the late 1970s.
I think most dealers ordered one car for display to get people in the showrooms. I remember seeing only a handful on the dealers lot in those times. Rumors of the upcoming RX7 had already been leaked and everyone was waiting for the new car to debut (dealers were already compiling waiting lists). The RX3SP was something to spark interest until the RX7 came out.

Last edited by r100guy on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:25 pm 

Thanks for the updates and pictures! I still envy you! This totally facinates me.. i'm not sure about the rest of you guys, but seeing original mazdas in original trim and specification, the differences in available options in different countries and the factory extras the person that purchased the car opted for is just incredible!! just so many variants across the rx3 range and yet it is still a very rare car in all types! with all these options and 30 or so years for things to be changed or go missing, not too many cars are alike.
Then to find a car like this one, in tact, in a wrecking yard, where they make a living from buyng and selling old cars!! yet they dont seem to realise the value of some of the cars in there posession, to me that is just crazy! its like an antique dealer who knows nothing for antiques, or a real estate agent with no idea on house value!! :shock:
This rx3 is definately a very rare mazda with the total sale numbers you just mentioned it shows why this is a sort after car.
I do agree to part it out would be tragic, but that said, if your not in a position to build it, then parting it out to true mazda enthusiasts would be the best thing for a car like this. And for you, selling parts in bundles to guys like Keith etc would not only patch the hole in your pocket but help a guy build perfect a replica, as there is nothing harder than buying rare car parts for a rare model that was never released in your country. You should feel good that you helped someone out big time, even if it was by dismantling a rare car. As mentioned earlier, when I came across a guy parting up an rx3 wagon I bought as much as I could afford at the time, for a couple reasons - it not only gave me what I needed but it all came off 1 car, it was all in good condition and i'm proud to give that little US wagon from Georgia life again! and i'm still looking for them!! good luck with it please keep the updates coming! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:51 am 

gypsy wrote:
Keith the front SP air dam would be one part I'd go out of my way not to find :lol:

Was the SP an American/ Canadian market only car ? There's a few nice ones floating around on YouTube, the chrome wheels really suits the SP cars with their bright colours. .... still tempting !

John, an SP without the front spoiler is a bit like Parris Hilton, not quite right. :lol:

Just had a look at the pics from the link on P1, geez that right rear 1/4 panel will need some work.

r100guy, could I ask a favour of you and check how the rear spoiler is fitted to the bootlid please? To me it appears that the rear section is attached by rivets to an internal piece that attaches to the bootlid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:44 am 

So did you end up buying the SP?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06 am 

Hi Keith,

Yes, I did buy the car and decided to keep it. Planning a stock restoration over the next five years. The car was owned by a lady near St. Louis Missouri and she owned up until 1987, about 10 years. She moved to Nevada and I have known about the car since 1987 but had lost track of it some time in the mid 1990s until last month when it showed up at the wrecker. Not a cream puff for sure but everything is there (expect front spoiler). The car has fairly high miles 100,000+ so everything mechanical will have to be refurbished as well. Hope I don't run out of money!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:23 am 

Good to hear you bought. We need more pictures!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:03 pm 

there was a quarter on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/mazda-rx3-RIGHT ... 500wt_1061

and please remember me if you ever decide to part with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:36 pm 

Good stuff! :D And yes we need more pics. I'd be particularly interseted in how the rear spoiler attaches to the boot lid.

Good luck with the restoration.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:59 pm 

Keith- The next time I get down to the RX3 I will check out the attachment of the rear spoiler. I'm thinking its simply glued on but will check it out.

Dereck- I did see that quarter panel and I was hoping to maybe find one in a little better shape. There is one in Los Angeles but need better photos. Hoping to find a late model 808 75-78 somewhere on the west coast with a good quarter panel.

I don't do the bodywork/paint but I have a very talented friend who does. He turned my beat up RX2 into thing of beauty and I hope the RX3 will be as nice. I emailed the photos of the RX3 to him and I do believe I heard him groan 800 miles away. Will see how everything turns out.

Heres what he did to the RX2:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:51 pm 

Looks like he did a really vice job of the RX-2. I've seen those wheels on a lot of US spec Mazda's, were they a dealer option?

I've noticed the rear spoilers have broad head rivets so I'm assuming they attach to an inner section or brackets that attach to the boot lid.

Be sure to keep us updated with the SP's progress.

Last edited by keithrx3c on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:13 am 

we definitly need a build thread of the RX-3. im so happy you bought it :) :tu: :tu:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 am 

I believe the rear spoiler on an Sp is held in place with plastic rivets, or at least that was how mine was before the accident. Definitely not glued on though that I am sure of.

78 RX-7 GS Spark Yellow
74 REPU Lawn Green
89 Mitsubishi Delica P25W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:05 am 

Quote:
I don't do the bodywork/paint but I have a very talented friend who does. He turned my beat up RX2 into thing of beauty and I hope the RX3 will be as nice. I emailed the photos of the RX3 to him and I do believe I heard him groan 800 miles away. Will see how everything turns out.

Heres what he did to the RX2:

Hi r100guy,

Your RX2 came out spectacular!! What color is it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:13 pm 

keithrx3c wrote:
Looks like he did a really vice job of the RX-2. I've seen those wheels on a lot of US spec Mazda's, where they a dealer option?

RX2 looks awesome....where can we see more photo's of it? Those wheels were an RX3 Wagon optional extra weren't they?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next