#
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: The ole MA engine builds..
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:10 pm 

I am just looking for any builds or advise on rebuilding a MA engine just for a little extra fun from the lazy stock motor, just to hold me over for a year. Sidedraft reground cam, and ill be happy.. not looking to break any records, just want to do a small treatment on the motor while its apart!

Post subject: Re: The ole MA engine builds..
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:29 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

go to ausrotary, look for a user called "spac". Search through his threads in the tech area. He did a write up on how to hotrod the 4 cylinders from Mazda.

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:40 am 

jitb wrote:
I am just looking for any builds or advise on rebuilding a MA engine just for a little extra fun from the lazy stock motor, just to hold me over for a year. Sidedraft reground cam, and ill be happy.. not looking to break any records, just want to do a small treatment on the motor while its apart!

as you have mentioned lumpy cam & two sidedraft Webers will be more than enough for a small treatment, but I would not recommend regrounded cam, better to use a specially made one (Crowcams still make them)... but even these small changes are not cheap: cam ~ 300$, manifold ~ 300$, two Webers 40 DCOE ~ 300$, heavy duty valve springs ~ 50$

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:31 pm 

Crow Cams used to make cams for the MA, I bought their last one (stage 2) about two weeks ago.
Apparently they cant get the blanks any more.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:41 pm 

Oven1111 wrote:
Crow Cams used to make cams for the MA, I bought their last one (stage 2) about two weeks ago. Apparently they cant get the blanks any more.

very bad news... I was hoping to buy one more camshaft for my new project next month... :cry:

is there any other manufacturer who still make camshafts for old Mazda engines?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:17 pm 

You could still get a cam re-ground. This is what I have done so far to my engine, the fly wheel has been lightened by 4 kilograms, the whole rotating assembly has been balanced, block has been decked, acid dipped,bored and honed, I am using a 616 inlet manifold as it is much better flowing than the 626 one, weber 40 dfav carby, xtreme hd clutch, valves have been back cut and a 3 angle valve grind done, head ports have been cleaned up and the steps inside the inlet ports have been blended into the bowls and the steps in the exhaust ports have been smoothed out, I am running moly piston rings (never use Chrome rings in these engines), king bearings, melling oil pump, stage 2 crow cam and double valve springs, custom 3 row radiator and oil cooler, facet fuel pump, I think that's is it. I am still looking at fitting some sort of electronic ignition. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:22 pm 

Oven1111 wrote:
You could still get a cam re-ground. This is what I have done so far to my engine, the fly wheel has been lightened by 4 kilograms, the whole rotating assembly has been balanced, block has been decked, acid dipped,bored and honed, I am using a 616 inlet manifold as it is much better flowing than the 626 one, weber 40 dfav carby, xtreme hd clutch, valves have been back cut and a 3 angle valve grind done, head ports have been cleaned up and the steps inside the inlet ports have been blended into the bowls and the steps in the exhaust ports have been smoothed out, I am running moly piston rings (never use Chrome rings in these engines), king bearings, melling oil pump, stage 2 crow cam and double valve springs, custom 3 row radiator and oil cooler, facet fuel pump, I think that's is it. I am still looking at fitting some sort of electronic ignition. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

does it wake it up at all, sounds like it should! In stock form its such a lazy motor as you know. What was the biggest improvement for it out of all those upgrades?

would like to see the bay also.. don think ive ever seen a modified MA in the bay of a 626!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:41 am 

I am hoping for around 160hp or maybe a little higher when she is all finished.
By no means a rocket, but at least she will be different.
I will upload all the pics of the engine build as soo as it's done.

Attachments:
20332_100856329945815_100000643454101_23093_7757069_n[1].jpg
20332_100856329945815_100000643454101_23093_7757069_n[1].jpg [ 53.37 KiB | Viewed 1121 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:27 am 

Oven1111 wrote:
I am running moly piston rings (never use Chrome rings in these engines)

what is wrong with Chrome rings?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:35 am 

Oven1111 wrote:
I am hoping for around 160hp or maybe a little higher when she is all finished.
By no means a rocket, but at least she will be different.
I will upload all the pics of the engine build as soo as it's done.

almost twice more then in stock... wish you luck to get it but I think it`s impossible without turbo...

btw: i like your headlight guards! Where can I find a pair for myself or they out of stock?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:15 pm 

Chrome rings are fine if you want to rebuild your engine after 20,000 kilometers, they are too hard for the bores and because of this you end up with excessive wear and blow by. I have been warned about using chrome rings by a number of people and why use chrome rings when you can get molly ones.

I would say that the headlights covers are no longer available, most of the non mechanical parts (trim and panels) are no longer available in Australian.
They are genuine Mazda headlights covers and not the after market Aunger ones. Call your local Mazda dealer to see if you can get some, you may be surprised.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:25 pm 

I have been really investigating the idea of turbocharging the spare motor. Any of you all have any experience with turbocharging the MA?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:29 am 

I came across these turbo builds a couple of years ago, probably just what you are looking for:

http://www.performanceforums.com/forums ... (Turpellas)

Also from time to time the odd HKS turbo kit to suit an MA pops up on Ebay, which would save a lot of fabrication work, however I haven't seen one for quite some time so I would guess they are pretty rare.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]