#
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:12 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 63 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: my '69 cl350 cafe/scrambler build
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:20 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So I decided to walk to my Wife's roller derby practice a few nights ago instead of drive. There's a lawn mower/small engine repair shop under the bridge right next to where they practice that is well hidden from sight on the route I typically drive. Because I was walking, I happened to peer over the edge of the bridge into the shops back lot and spotted a frame with an orange and black tank on it that I assumed was a cl360 (as I'd recently found one for sale in town with that same color scheme). Which would be awesome, if I hadn't decided the only motorcycle I would buy for my next project would be a cl or a cb350. As anyone that knows me will tell you, I'm extremely picky about what I buy or bring home, so I didn't even stop by the shop to ask about the bike.

So I've been looking around for a cheap titled cb/cl350 for months, and have so far not found anything that is titled in my price range, so I decided to stop by and ask about this bike at the lawn mower shop. Turns out it was a cl350 with a cl360 gas tank. Also, there are 2 other partial bikes inside the shop (one cb350, and the other a sl350 also), one of which is titled. When I asked him how much he wanted, he asked what I'd give him, so I told him about the complete cl360 I'd found in town without a title for $250, and he said he'd take that for ALL three of these bikes! Only downside is he personally has a cb350 that he rides and he needs the only good set of forks between these bikes for his bike for some reason, so it looks like I'ma need to find a set of forks and triples. Anyway, that makes 3 motors, 3 frames and one title for $250 :D.

So I'm hoping I can bring these bikes home this week, I'll post pics if I do. It all depends on how my paycheck on the 10th looks though. The guy that owns the bikes said that he doesn't think they're going anywhere, so I'm hoping that gives me some time, lol. Planning on making a kind of "dirt road cafe" style bike. I want to retain the ability to ride around with my wife on the back, so that means no traditional backrest/hump style seat. I also like the scrambler pipes that come up over the engine case on the honda scramblers, but they weigh about 80lbs! So I'm thinking I'll prolly make high pipes and heat wrap them to avoid that. I would also want something like enduro or semi aggressive tires as well so we can take it down some of the little dirt trails around our house. Basically I want a stylish honda scrambler that is still usable as just that :D.

Something kind of alon these lines, but not exactly, and not a yamaha thumper, lol.
http://www.bikeexif.com/motorcycle-wallpaper-6

Last edited by shane_lxi on Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: cafe/scrambler build coming soon?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:11 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Here they are! Not much to look at, but they're a start. The naked frame is my titled bike, it's a '69 cl350. Can't wait!

Post subject: Re: my '69 cl350 cafe/scrambler build
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:35 pm 

Looks like a lot of fun. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

After a little paperwork scare, the '69 cl350 is now in my name! Also ordered a repair manual and the kickstart and shifter that I was missing. Accidentally ordered 2 parts carbs as well as mine are missing the float bowls. I got a good deal, so its ok, lol. I figure worst case scenario, I can buy a non titled runner for the engine, but ima try and fix the decent motor first :). Updates soon hopefully.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:34 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

scored and titled '81 cm400 today for free. Been sitting for years, so it's pretty nasty, but hey, free frame/title!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Got some parts in the mail today, my kickstart and the shift linkage. Also finally went out and checked to see if the motor turns. It does, free and smooth :) . Next step is compression check.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:21 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I bought a '70 sl350 today. Titled runner for $650, a little more than I wanted to pay, but still $200 less than asking price, so I can't complain. Bike is rough but runs great. The guy I bought it from owns a small engine repair shop in town here, but this was kind of his farm beater, so I don't know how well he actually took care of it. Anyway, I'm bringing it home on friday. I still don't know which bike is actually going to be my project, but I'll see when I get everything together and assess what all I have in parts. Also purchased a nice rd400 gas tank from a local bike shop and a few other odds and ends like a pair of nos velocity stacks and a huge capacitor among other things. Updates will follow!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:56 pm 

Any updates?
My brother's got a CB350, fun little bike.
I'm hoping to get a nice jn bike sometime this year..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:04 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Just bought this sl350 last friday. I've been sick, so I haven't had much time to mess with it, but I've been obsessing over it. It's a '70, but I'm assuming it's actually a '69 that carried over to the '70 model year since all the '70s I've seen have had the tube frame, and this is still a stamped frame with a single down tube like a cb350. The bike runs great, but the splines on the shifter were all stripped out, so I haven't gotten a chance to ride it yet, only start it and hear it idle. Anyway, here's some pics and some of my plans. Still haven't decided if I'm going to build this bike or swap the motor into my titled cl350 frame, since that frame will be much much easier to clean up. The leftover frame/parts will become a hardtail bobber project :D. The reason I bought this bike is because I got into contact with the previous owner of my other 2 bikes (owner before the guy I got them from) and he said that he didn't believe either of those motors were going to be salvageable. So I found a known runner, even though it looks a little rough :D.

Bought this rd400 tank for $30, think it'll look nice on the bike. Tunnel needs to be pounded out a little bit, and i'll need to make some custom mounts, but I think it'll fit well.

Here it is resting on my parts bike's frame.

I've ordered some clipons and headlight ears and a few random odds and ends. I'd like to go a little lower on it. The rear shocks are 13.5" long (as opposed to my cl350's shocks @12.5"). Looking into some 11.5" shocks and maybe swapping some cl360 front forks into my stock sl350 triples to drop the front without having 3" of fork sticking out of the top clamp :P. Planning on still kinda having a dirt bike/scrambler feel with a little bit of cafe influence. Bike will more or less be a semi off-road use commuter. Going to be making a really low seat as well. Haven't decided on exhaust yet, either keeping the stock units or swapping out to a set of cl350 scrambler pipes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Did a bit today. Still waiting on my handlebars, but I got the old ones stripped off and the controls/wiring out of them (about 2 hours later :P ). Going to more than likely be getting cl360 forks so I won't have so much fork sticking out over my triples, but this is fine for mockup. Also stripped alot of other stuff off. The headlight lens shattered as soon as it was loose from the housing, so going to have to order something else for a headlight. Also put my cl350 shocks in to see how it would look a little lower on the back. Too bad they're completely blown :(. Also removed fenders and gauges. Still not sure if I am going to run any gauges at all, well see. Anyway, pics.

Going to probably be ordering a set of these in also in 100-90-19 and 110-80-18.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm 

So awesome!

I love scramblers, I think a guy in Aberdeen is selling a Honda XL Scrambler in pretty good shape.

By any chance.. are you selling a Datsun pickup?
If so, I saw it on CL. lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 am 
JNC Enthusiast

No, but my brother is :). He just so happens to be my next door neighbor as well. If I had not started this bike project I would have bought that 620 from him myself.

Edit: in fact, you can see a little of that truck parked in the adjacent driveway in the last pic I posted of my bike. Just behind my wife's Mazda.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:14 am 

Ha!
That's awesome.
I get bored and search craigslist for neat j-tin.
If I actually had a job(lol) I'd pick up that 620, it's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:11 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Where are you at? Sounds like you're in town if you knew Aberdeen was near hoquiam :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 pm 

I'm in Aberdeen.
I PM'd you a while back, my sister used to live on the street behind you.
I've seen your cressida and 240, and talked to you or your brother about a 70's Cressida before.

Now I sound like a stalker. haha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:35 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Ok, now I remember. Is that your corona that's been driving around here?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:41 pm 

Nope.
I haven't been over that way in a while, I was living in California last year.
Now back here looking for work. :td:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

You found work? Here?! lol.

So I found this today... Yeah, that's jbweld. Kinda makes me wonder what other super sketchy things got leftover from the previous owner.

http://i.imgur.com/7i5Ql.jpg

So I was looking at those cb350/cb360 billet uppers that Bullit Custom Cycles has for sale. They say they'll fit my sl350 k0, but I am not sure. I have an extra cb350g upper, but it's wrong. The fork spacing is correct, but the hole for the stem is off. Thinking of trying my sl350 forks and wheel in the cb350g triples (the cb350g forks are bent, otherwise I'd just use the whole setup). Well see, I have a few options here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:07 pm 

Found? No, LOOKING!
KFC is hiring.. You bet I applied. LOL

That sucks about the JB weld.
I'd be freaking out.
Would definitely try all your options before buying anything.

There's always ebay..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-SL350-For ... 4ab478a943

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:52 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Fixed! Bought another parts bike for $50 and used the triple off of that. Also got my clipons in the mail and test fit them. I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow. Also got a 130link chain for stretching my swing arm. Will be about 3" longer. Btw, 130 links was waay overkill. I have enough chain for a 6" stretch, lol.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 63 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next