#
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:09 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wolffy's '72 Z600 Ressurection ~ tons of Pics
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 pm 

All done with the sound insulation, and i found some carpet from one of the very few old honda part suppliers, hes asking $250 for some boring black carpet, wont even tell me much more info about it so ill probably be making my own.

ive been cleaning and repainting parts here and there, not a huge amount of progress as before, I decided to reuse the stock remote brake fluid reservoir as the miata one is just too fat, so some simple plastic barbs make the junction

Next i hard mounted the coil pack next to the battery, again this is half of a Mazda 4cyl coil pack, it works incredibly

Painted the exhaust and installed it too

tried to start him up but the battery seemed dead so a jump from my trooper was needed. but still he didnt crank over, the starter had always worked great, but since i cleaned it up maybe some cleaning solution got in and gummed up the comm and brushes. Took the starter out and cleaned the solenoid then took the top off the motor's can, quite a mess.
10 minutes with brake clean a tooth brush and Scotch Brite it was working better than ever.

after this Zed fired up instantly, the brakes still werent bled but a ride around the block was still necessary. Oh boy was the car running well, more powerful and quieter than ever too. without a windshield it feels like a fat motorcycle. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:36 pm 

Very impressed with the amount of progress you are able to make in relatively short time.
And very nice work as well :tu:
I wish my project could keep the same pace...

Loving the amount of pics too :)
Fun thread to follow.

What kind of paint did you use for the exhaust?
Any special stuff or just regular hi-temp?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:07 am 

Coming along rather nicely. I like your solution for the shifter. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:28 am 

yeah thanks, sometimes you have to keep it crude and simple or nothing will ever get done

the paint is just $10 a can super hi temp black exhaust paint, I haven't used this "Super" high temp before so we will see hoe it last, at least it dried in about a minute.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:13 pm 

Got some spare keys made. and installed the air cleaner. It seems me hand made exhaust gaskets are shit giving off multiple leaks. going to have to take it apart once again.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:34 pm 

interesting little car bet it gets awesome gas mileage i want one

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:49 pm 

Not much to update, ive been out of the country for 3 weeks working so now i have the spare cash for the new tires and parts i need to get the car on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:00 pm 

just ordered new falken tires, an have been looking at my windshield problem, the stock windshield overlaps the pinch weld of the frame which makes for a strange looking window seal, im thinking to go a bit more modern and glue the window in like modern cars have, this should be an easier method and give a much cleaner look and save some money and time searching for a stock seal. Im still pissed I cracked the glass though.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:50 pm 

My Falken tires hare here and look awesome!

Went to santa cruz to pick up some more parts i needed

one windshield for just $100 woot!

alternator rectifier
2 inner door handles
inner mirror
ignition points
2 oil filters
4 used brake pads that look safer than mine
cnc aluminum rear hatch lock hook and cylinder w/key
and the 3 rear bumper pieces in much straighter shape than mine

Not alot for $280 but its the best i can find and its what i need to get Zed drivable

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 pm 

So ive left you guys hangin long enough. For the first time in about 3 months ive worked on the car again, i finished moving to my new house, the honda made the 3 block journey by itself too however the front brakes started to grab horribly so ive rebuilt the driver side caliper again and still need to do the passenger side but with the new ( used but thicker than what i had) brake pads the brakes are better.

New pad to chill at:

I dumped all the super rusty unsavagable engine parts that i got with the car but im keeping this cam, it might be savable and if so i may be able to get it welded for more duration and a bit more lift to help boost engine power, but that is a project long ways off.

next to it is the junk rebuilt original M/C that for some reason keeps corroding very quickly after cleaning, its nasty

also have these sweet seat belts ill use, this is from a '84 and later Porsche 928 rear seat, they are so small and neat and work very smoothly. newer 928s had 3 point belts in the rear so i will get a pair of those for the front seats in my car.

The most pressing matter that needs to be fixed is the roof bodywork so I began on that today. i cut out a windshield frame cover to help keep paint dust out of the clean interior and protect the dash from falling tools

Some dents and stretches can be removed with my hammer and dolly set but the severe parts will require a torch to shrink. im not sure i can completely save this mangled panel, its worse than it looks in pictures so im still searching for a straight used roof to weld on.

the circles with Xs are where i need to shrink with a torch

here you can see how wavy the rear is

after an hour the front half is looking much better but i still have this S shaped depression in the center, the front had some sharper creases in it that are easier to remove with the hammer than large waves

also worked on the front some. chipped the undercoating off the DR fender and sanded some, you can see someone really leaned on this hard

also a few small rust holes ill have to patch

and finally the hood with isnt that bad although id like to make it more rigid with more bracing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:40 pm 

Great project and a lot been done and you have a lot to do later, but you have DELOREAN in your garage why bother do some other car? Unless its another car with wing/Lambo doors :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:58 am 

The roofs of these are frightening aren't they! Mine are the same. If they don't get trampled from people atop them, junk gets stacked upon them whilst stored denting & stretching them and such a large & gently curving panel is never easy to work upon. Then there's the older stories of people who would think it funny to roll them over since they are so narrow, lightweight easy targets, and being cheap cars originally they didn't get the respect deserved.

A Delorean might be awesome but a Z will make anyone smile at first sight and is such fun to race along at ridiculous revs without having to be going fast or using a noticeable amount of fuel. (Nor would you want to undertake repairs upon a brushed stainless steel body!)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:51 pm 

you are 100% right 79cord, these poor cars had no respect and were not treated carefully enough.

I bought the 600 about 2 months before the Delorean which i had wanted since age 4. the D has taken about 4 times as much work and over $5k in parts to get where it is now and there is still plenty to do on her. but she is reliable and presentable now but is a long term project so finally the 600 can get the work it needs that ive put off for over a year.

As a matter of fact i was so bold as to attempt to repair the bare stainless, the worst dent on the car was a 1/4" deep tear drop shape on the RR quarter and its very hard to spot after the 3hrs of work i did. after i get up to practice with he 600 ill do more on the D where there is a bad crease on the hood. ive also purchased a damaged RR fender for $100 to practice on as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:43 am 

nice work :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:39 am 

Nice job on that z, I am taking note of all are you doing for my next proyect, keep doing that nice work and thanks for all the photos, always comes handy for other people! :wink:
Greetings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:28 pm 

two cars at once. Brave lad :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:51 pm 

two? more like 4, I also have a '75 volvo 242 im putting a ford 302/ T5 in, and a '82 BMW 320is race car that is always needing rebuilding but at least i have a good mate that helps with that one :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:26 pm 

got a big and very expensive package today, a used roof and rear panel.
came from Missouri. they are rust free nearly but most importantly are straight, aside from some small dents that i can hammer out.

oh boy more work,

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:19 am 

Nice parts for your restoration :tu:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:33 pm 

Really need to get back on the ball with this car, Ive removed, stripped, and repainted the rear axle, springs, and brakes. It was the last major part of the car that was still filthy and needed repair ( besides the body)

Didnt take may pics of it coming apart, its a pretty simple solid axle and leaf springs. here are all the parts after 3 hrs of wire wheeling the 40yrs of crud off them. As you can see I even separated the 3 leaves apart to clean and paint separately

cleaned the brake adjusters and cylinders again before a few layers of clear coat

Still need to paint the shocks which are still in good shape

I dont have a pic of all the parts after 2 coats of POR 15 black but here is the reassembly

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next