Time, as always, has been the most difficult part of this project, but I have been sneaking out to the shop in the evenings (after work and playing with the kids!) and have been having "Car Christmas" with all kinds of new presents!
First off were the tail lights-- I had NOS chrome parts that I bought years ago, but was missing some of the seals (that I had apparently robbed for other projects). Dean at Datsun parts got me hooked up with the missing parts and after a quick clean and detail of the tail light housings, they were ready to re-assemble:
I also finally got to break out some of the NOS 1500 parts that I have been holding on to for this project.
Eric and I bought out a long-closed Datsun dealership's parts inventory several years ago and were able to score lots of parts for our various 510 and roadster projects:
The rest of the parts have long since been sold...
Anyway, here is the cap installed on the car along with the new tail lights (and the obligatory http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/JackScoville.htm
license plate frame!)
I love the little details that the 1500s have compared to their later sisters-- like the windshield washer squirter:
Spare tire hold-down handle rubber cover:
I needed to have a bunch of parts re-zinc plated, and Brian Holloway (aka Crazy Backyard Builder), got me hooked up with his local specialist in LA that does a nice silver finish. I put together a small batch of parts together and have been busy re-assembling things now that I have parts! Thanks Brian!
There are plenty of details to sort out before the engine can go back in-- first the brake and clutch lines need to be built and all the details on the firewall need to be taken care of before the engine goes in...
(Note you can see the starter access panel that has been re-worked in the lower part of the image-- I make a brace out of a heavier gauge metal and weld it back in, but still it still allows enough room to pull the starter-- in the SR20's case, it is mounted on the right side of the engine!)
Also, before the engine can go back in, I need to install the heater and heater valve-- I opted to go with an aftermarket Vintage Air heater with the defrost function and here is what it looks like with the initial test fit:
This has an electronically controlled heater control valve (so I won't have to deal with a cable), and I will outline the installation of this unit in some later posts...
Last but not least, a tachometer update. As I mentioned in earlier posts, Jon Frampton rebuilt the gauges and did an amazing job. There was one minor detail that we missed however-- if you look at an original 1500 tach you will see that it has a red section when you hit redline (5700 rpm):
We missed that little red section on the tach rebuild (7500 rpm):
A minor detail-- yes. Would it drive me crazy every time I drove the car? Absolutely. I hated to even bring it up with Jon as I was so ecstatic with his work, but finally did and he did not even hesitate-- "send it back and we will re-screen the faces!" A few weeks later, here are the results of his work:
Jon has gone above and beyond on these gauges! I cannot say enough positive things about my experience! Thank you, thank you Jon! (And yes, my wife thinks I am crazy-- but thanks you very much so she won't have to hear about it!)
Again, projects like these come together with people with amazing talent, and critical eyes for detail-- Jon Frampton, Eric Straw, Brian Holloway, painter James Catterson-- thank you for your efforts!
Michael SpreadburySpriso Motorsportshttp://www.spriso.com
1970 Datsun Bluebird SSS Coupe
1966 Datsun 1600 Roadster
1964 Datsun 1500 Roadster