#
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:30 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Norwegian Toyota Cressida RX30 2JZ-GE project
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:27 pm 

Hi guys.

After selling my AE86 drifter back in 2005 and not really had a proper drifter since then, I decided it was time to get back on the horse. After thinking long and hard about what kind of project I was looking for, I decided to go old school and build Norways first proper old school shakotan drifter.

I've always loved vintage cars. My daily driver for the last two summers has been a 1965 VW beetle, and I've owned several vintage cars over the years. Mostly aircooled, but also an '81 Cressida wagon, and a '76 Crown 2600. As I'm not a mechanic, I find modern cars too annoying to work on. There are just too many stupid solutions and no room to work. I can change the engine in my Beetle in less than half an hour, but when it comes to anything made after 1990, I usually get frustrated and give up.

So the first criteria for my new project was that it had to be simple and old school (just like me). As I hate it when my cars brake down it also had to be reliable. So when I came across a solid '77 Cressida RX30 with only one previous owner I didn't even bother to negotiate the price. And boy was I lucky. Apart from the occational dent and scratch, it's as good as new. The car has done 156 000km, and been serviced every 20k. Basically it's the best possible base for a nice project. Not mint, but really, really solid.

I only have this one picture for now, but will try to take some better ones tomorrow.

Besides being a solid car to begin with, it's also very light, and has plenty of room for a straight 1JZ swap. It will also allow me to run 15" wheels, saving me some money on tyres. Finally, it will stand out! I'm sick of all the Soarers and Supras and S-bodies. Time to bring some style to the norwegian drift scene!

My plans for the car (besides the 1JZ/R154 swap) is to fit coilover suspension, Soarer/SC300 brakes and steering rack, and strippe out the interior and fit a proper cage. All while keeping the modifications to a minimum. Every modification will be for handling or reliability. If it ain't broken etc...

I'm really looking forward to this project and I hope it will be a fun one for you guys to follow as well. This thread will hopefully work as both a motivator and a resource for me! I'm pretty sure I need all the help I can get. In fact, I have a few questions right away:

1. What size wheels will fit under the stock arches? I'm willing to roll them, but I don't want to fit wider overfenders or anything like that. I'm looking at the Rota Shakotan (Hayashi Street replicas) in 15x9" ET0. Will that work with slammed suspension?

2. What's the best base for a coilover setup? AE86? Celica/Celica Supra? MX73? From what I've been able to figure out, there's no straight fit, but the less work needed, the better :)

That's it for now. Will post more pics of the car in it's current state very soon!

Regards,
Fredrik Sørlie
Norway

Last edited by fredriksoerlie on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Norwegian Toyota Cressida RX30 1JZ Drifting project
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 pm 

Found an old picture of me drifting the old Crown :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:54 pm 

As far as the 1jz swap itself goes, check out JZXproject.com as there is years worth of knowledge in threads there. We just recently did a 1jz swap on my brothers 91 cressida and its turned into one of my favorite cars to ride in now.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7142 As for everything else, Toji's car is a good place to start.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:50 pm 

Thanks. I've collected a lot of bookmarks allready :)

The swap seems to be pretty straight forward. From what I can tell, all we should need are custom mounts and some mods to the subframe. The rest should bolt pretty much straight in.

As the car is really solid, I don't want to customize more than absolutely necessary. So if there are any bolt on coilover kits available, that would be my preferred choice :)

Here's a quick photoshop mod of how I image it will look in a week or two. Still not sure about the final look, but I REALLY like onlyCressida4me's MX32 "Bella". However, I know that white is a pita to photograph on track, so I might go for bright yellow. Unless I keep the original color that is :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm 

Some more inspiration. 8)

Interesting choice for a drift car. Are parts for these easy to source though? I wouldn't think a car like this would be the best choice for a drifter due to availability or parts. I guess since you're swapping out engine, suspension, brakes etc you shouldn't have a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:02 pm 

slims wrote:
Interesting choice for a drift car. Are parts for these easy to source though? I wouldn't think a car like this would be the best choice for a drifter due to availability or parts. I guess since you're swapping out engine, suspension, brakes etc you shouldn't have a problem.

I think we should be ok. The only parts that may be hard to replace are bodyparts and glass/trim. For the rest we will fit parts from more common cars, like the hachi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 pm 

Serial Nine coilovers are as close as you get to "bolt-on" coilovers. Worth every penny. I would love to see my brother get a set for his '91 but our megans are working well enough :3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:59 am 

Tofuik wrote:
Serial Nine coilovers are as close as you get to "bolt-on" coilovers. Worth every penny. I would love to see my brother get a set for his '91 but our megans are working well enough :3

some other members have ae86 coilovers on there cressida no mods needed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 am 

man where is Lloyd when you need him. He's got the only set of SerialNines on an x3 right now. But he also did a IRS swap for the rear from his x6 cressy. He's on here toji004 his build thread here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7142

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am 

HERE I AM TO SAVE THE DAY !!!
jk...
same story man, sold my ae86 in 2001... been wanting to drift since then and built my mx32 to what it is today...5 years in the making.lol. not an easy road WHATSOEVER ill tell you that much
any questions...let me know

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:43 pm 

Sorry for lack of updates. Just came back from a trip to the Nordschleife :)

While at the ring, I met up with Bon-Bon from Driftworks who was kind enough to bring four Rota Alecias in 9x15" ET-15 with him. Needless to say, they went straight on the car as soon as I got home.

As I'm scared of heights, I went over to my mates garage to sort out the ride. This is obviously not permanent, as coilovers will be fitted in a couple of weeks. The temporary solution was to cut 3,5 coils of the front springs and 3 coils at the back. Worked out nicely after rolling the arches. I'll probably put a 5mm spacer at the back tomorrow to get the stance 100%. It handles pretty sweet for normal driving and doesn't rub much :D

Tomorrow I will get my plates, and the car will officially be "road legal" again, after 8 years off the roads. Plans for the next couple of days is to fit my Nardi steering wheel and remove the crome trim on the side of the car. I might keep the one on the sill, but that has yet to be decided.

As for the wheels, I'm not really that happy with them. They look ok, but they were not my first choice and might get swapped for something with more dish...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 pm 

That is one nice Cressida!!

1JZ is a nice swap.

I think a few have done 1UZ's as well.

Lloyd's car is always the inspiration for any MX32 build :),

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:01 pm 

I love those short bumpers. And the colour of your car :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:08 pm 

Thanks. I'll keep the color for now, but haven't decided what to do later.

Anyway, got my plates today and took it for a spin (literally, as I spun two times while drifting in the rain... :P). I also fitted the Nardi steering wheel and the huge, blue dildo shifter that came in the mail today. We planned a proper photoshoot today, but due to the rain we only had time for a snapshot.

I really like the way the car looks now. Two days ago it was 100% original! It's not the final look, but it'll do for a few weeks until I can get coilovers and over fenders :)

I will try to take some pics of the interior and other details tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:19 pm 

no over fenders !!! please ??? :)

it looks SO good as it is...dont cut up such a perfect car.
just get ur fitment on !!!
and that blue is BEAUTIFUL !!!

i wish mine was that pretty :)

@pagong - your too kind as always.thanks friend

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 am 

toji004 wrote:
no over fenders !!! please ??? :)

Not my preferred choice either, but I need the room for wide wheels/massive lock to make this a competitive drifter :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:44 pm 

Sun came out today, so I washed the car, grabbed my camera and arranged a photoshoot with my mate, Aleks. Since yesterday I've removed the trim on the side, and I really like the way it looks now. Almost so much that I don't want to mess with it anymore. Knowing myself though, I'm pretty sure that feeling will wear off :D

Here's a few pics:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:05 pm 

looking good! been thinking about getting a set of those wheels for my girlfriends mx32. decision made 8) thanks

88 turbo2 rx7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 am 

i just picked up an mx32 as well :)

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:28 am 

what steering hub are you using? my Boss brand sucks.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 10   [ 184 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next