#
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: The quintessential Super Turbo and K10 resource!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 am 

Project K10 Super Turbo is GO! GO! GO!
:D :tu: :tu: :tu:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:29 am 

Alright, so this is slightly unrelated but I'm excited about it, so I figure'd I post it up. My girlfriend had driven my Super Turbo a few times and while she loved how small, nimble and lightweight it was, she didn't like the fact that it's really difficult to drive that car at an intermediate speed. When you're off the supercharger it barely gets out of it's own way, but push the pedal a little more and supercharger comes on and it goes like stink, haha. She really wanted a nice lightweight manual transmission car for herself. So, being a Nissan loyalist, I showed her a few K11 March's. She liked them but none really jumped out until we saw one. The one below!

I only snapped three pictures, so for now words will have to suffice, haha. She instantly loved the kit on it (which is a Nismo kit by the way) and the fact that it's the definition of simple! We drove out to Tokyo, took a quick look at it and bought it on the spot! So, info about the car! It's the 1.3 liter version and weighs in at only 850 kg (1870 lbs.). The 1.3 liter lump pumps out a not so terrible 79 hp, which gives the car a power to weight of 23 lbs/hp. For comparison, my March Super Turbo weighs 775 kg (1700 lbs.) and makes 110 hp for a power to weight of 15.5. Alright, so my March is quite a bit quicker, but the Super Turbo is the fastest production March ever made, haha. But to put that into perspective, my 1988 300ZX SS makes 220 hp and weighs in at 3400 lbs (ya, she's a pig, but that's what the scales said when I weighed it) for a power to weight of 15.4. So the Super Turbo is quite the little performer! The 1.3 engine sounded great and I imagine it'll be a blast to drive!

The engine bay was clean as clean can be and completely stock. The muffler has been changed though, so it sounds nice but isn't too loud. The brakes however, are pooched, so those will be the first things to get fixed. Fortunately, Nissan still carries all the parts we need in stock. The exterior has a few scratches here and there but no dings or dents, so nothing serious at all. The interior is mint! Like almost new car nice, it's amazingly clean and the previous owner seemed to care for it (one owner car as well)! It get's delivered in about 3 weeks so there will definitely be some pictures posted up of the two March's side by side!

I'm actually pretty jealous, this car looks like a lot of fun! I'll have to steal the keys from her from time to time, haha.

Alright, that's all for now!

Cheers,
David

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:57 am 

Here´s Matchy! -

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I actually went and looked for these behind the virtual reality sofa.....
I live in the Arabian desert. It is summer. What else am I going to do with my time?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 am 

Alrighty, I'm finally getting time to do an update!
My co-worker quit his job and all of his responsibilities got stacked onto my desk. Needless to say, overtime and I have become best friends, haha. At any rate, I've slowly been working on an intercooler and radiator water sprayer. My goal was to keep it as incognito as possible though. I also didn't want it to just spray as much as it can for as long as it can, so I came up with an idea. It involved drawing pictures on paper... I love drawing, haha.

For those of you who aren't mega geeks like me, this is a 555 timer IC based circuit for controlling the length of time the intercooler sprayer sprays. Way it works is, when you have the master switch on and you hit full throttle, the IC starts counting, it runs for 2 seconds on, then 2 seconds off. It continues this cycle until you let off the throttle. I also wanted an override switch so I could switch it on without hitting full throttle, like right before I know I'm going to mash the pedal on a hot day.

Now I can make tons of excuses for wanting an intercooler sprayer (it gets hot in Nagoya, I want to pull the most efficiency out of my factory intercooler, I like wasting water, etc.) but the simple fact of the matter is, I like building stuff. So useful or not doesn't really bother me. I wanted to see if I could build it, make it work right and keep it nearly invisible.

So I bought some parts and it was on like Donkey Kong!

After inhaling much smoke from the solder, this is what I ended up with. Things to note, I originally had a potentiometer planned, but I pulled it out and ran with a resistor to make sure everything was working right. I eventually reverted back to the potentiometer so I could adjust the amount of time on and off.

A whole lot of ghetto wiring! Also, full throttle switch, master switch, override switch and potentiometer back in place on the board.

Alright, testing! Kicks the little light on and off at adjustable intervals with the override switch and master switch both on, just as planned.

Override switch off, but full throttle switch pressed gets the light flashing as well!

The only visual change inside the car. Ignore the green wire falling down in the back, I hadn't hooked it up fully yet, haha.

Full throttle switch.

Board mounted to the inside of the dash, still reachable from the drivers seat so you can adjust the on off timing, but completely invisible unless you're a serious contortionist! Also to note, I used double side tape for everything as I wanted nothing permanent and no holes, so I could rip it all out in a matter of minutes if I got sick of it. Not sure if this will backfire on me and have the full throttle switch falling off. We'll see. I may upgrade to zip ties on the full throttle switch in the future.

Motor mounted.

Alright, at this point I hooked up the washer tank with a T on it and tested it out. Thing went haywire! I think the amperage load on the motor is too much for the little relay I'm using. It was crazy, just randomly flipping on and off with no rhyme or reason! I'm going to try having the little relay kick on a bigger, automotive relay and see if that fixes the issue. If not, maybe the wire I'm running to the wire got scraped somewhere and is intermittently shorting out to ground. At any rate, I didn't have time to further pursue that as my girlfriend's new car showed up!

It's a 1996 K11 March 1.3. Thing is an absolute blast to drive, haha! Brakes are so far gone it's not funny though, definitely going to need work on that soon. Anyways, I'll let the pictures do the talking for now!

I think it's kind of cool that I got two cool Marches parked outside, haha.
Anyways, more to come of this intercooler sprayer contraption gizmo in the near future!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:16 am 
Mild Cam

The four-spokes on the "new" March are really cute. :D

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:46 am 

Thanks for the comments guys!

She absolutely loves the car. It has some issues though, something on the front of the engine is dieing and starting to make a loud squeal. Trying to source the sound points to either a tensioner or the water pump (hard to tell as they're both right next to each other). Plan on replacing those anyways, so no big deal!

Got some more work done on the intercooler sprayer today. I was having trouble with the draw from the washer motor being enough to pull voltage away from the controller board (since the 12 volts for the pump was being pulled from the 12 volts for the control board) causing the 555 timer to go haywire. So, I doubled up on relays, one on the inside on the control board and an automotive specific relay under the hood. This fixed the issue right as rain. The interior relay sends 12 volts to the bigger relay under the hood. The bigger relay kicks on and 12 volts direct from the battery hits the washer motor, completely isolating the washer motor load from the controller board.

My whole goal with this was to keep it as incognito as possible, and with the washer bottle in, you can't really tell its there! Everything hides nicely under the bottle.

Looking from a different angle you can see the washer motor, but since I used one from a 280ZX, it looks pretty factory.

This is my mounting for the nozzle on the hood scoop. It seems pretty solid. I'll check on it every couple days to see how well it holds up.

Ran the line, it's the clear silicone line that runs right beside the factory black washer nozzle line. Some day in the future I'll buy some proper washer nozzle hose and run that instead for an even more invisible look.

Kind of hard to see, but you can just see the nozzle through the hood scoop. Plenty of clearance between it and the intercooler and it seems to spray directly onto it.

Haven't really had a chance to test it as it's raining like crazy outside right now, and not much need for an intercooler sprayer when its cool and raining outside, haha. I reckon I'll give it a shot on a hot day after sitting in traffic and letting the intercooler heat soak a bit.

Before I shut everything down for the night, I got a picture of my buddies Evo 5 parked next to its much much older grandad, haha.

More updates to come soon!
Cheers
David

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:04 am 

great to see so much K10 love! My first car was a 1989 k10 Micra ma10 1litre 4spd awesome little car!:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:05 pm 

Alrighty!
Being MIA sucks, but mass amount of overtime that caused it all will be worth it when the money shows up, haha.

That is a great looking K10, RetroMat! I really wish we would have gotten these cars in the states, they're the perfect cheap hot hatch, haha!

Alright, update time!
The front brakes looked like they were made entirely of rust, so I bought some pads, discs, shoes and brake lines for a full brake overhaul! Unfortunately, I purchased the wrong discs and the rear shoes had so much life on them it would have been a waste to replace them, haha.

After a quick trip to Nissan and a huge sum of money later, OEM brake discs!

New hotness!

New pads are endless carbon ceramic!

All on and ready to rock!

After a few quick burn in sessions I decided to do some emergency braking to see how it did. First things first, the car is a completely different beast, tires are what's letting me down now. A good set of stickies and this thing will stop damned fast! Small problem though in that the passenger rear locks first and throws the car into a very entertaining slide, haha. Found that one out the fun way! I think some new tires will remedy that though.

I also ordered a new boost gauge on Yahoo Auctions. I somehow managed to find an almost period correct Ultra boost gauge, I was so stoke and it looks absolutely fantastic!

I temporarily mounted the sensor here. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be kept vertical and I will remedy that soon enough but for now it works like a charm.

Right at home!

More to come soon as I think I have a pretty solid idea on how to fix this boost wobble issue! Just waiting on more Yahoo Auction parts!

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

Alrighty, I'm bringing this post back from the dead with a little sad news.

I drove this car as my daily driver religiously for nearly a year. It gave me huge smiles on the short drive to and from work everyday. Then, just one week before the inspection expired, something in the differential let loose. No idea as to what it is, but I'm guessing it is something in the LSD unit. It still drives fine and delivers power like a mad man, it just makes a terrible noise once the diff gets hot. You can hear the noise here:
Click me to watch a Youtube video of the awful noise!

So, with repairs and a very expensive shaken looming on the horizon, I have decided to sell the car. I hate to see it go, but hopefully, it will help fund my next project/s!

Here's a few final parting pictures:

Here's a link to the Yahoo Auctions ad if anyone is interested in seeing how much a used Super Turbo with a broken differential goes for.
Click me to view the auction on Yahoo Auctions!

Now, to move on to the next daily driver. I've got my eyes on an Isuzu, but it'll have to wait until after Christmas.

Cheers
David

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4