Hmm...I did do a recent post, but it looks like it was sucked into the same vortex that engulfed a day of forum posts when we upgraded servers. Anyway, here goes take 2:
Just so that nobody gets the idea that I may have forgotten about this car
I thought I'd fit some of the latest swag from http://www.rubber-soul.net
First items are new greasecaps from the front hubs, since the ones on the car are a little manky looking and dented. I guess my attempt at google-translate failed, and I didn't realise that they were sold by the pair
Shiny new caps look great on cars I've seen with gunmetal watanabes, but I think it doesn't really work with the gold wheel centres.
So I'm painting a pair of them in black...might have to give them a few days to cure before I tap them into place with the hammer.
Second item are these rubber seals
They replace these ones that seal the front and rear windows together.
Mine aren't in such bad shape, there's only a bit of a gap along the bottom of the passenger side window, it doesn't seem to let in water, but at speed it does create this annoying whistle. I've tried glueing it in place, but it just keeps popping back out.
New ones are fairly easy to fit, you just lube them with a little liquid soap, and then slide them up into place from the bottom.
The new seals are nice and plump...
...with no more gaps.
Also took the opportunity to get some reproduction stickers
The other items I'm going to leave for another day, but these are adjuster/clamps for the front steering arms.
The ones on the car have been painted over a few times, so it will be nice to have shiny ones in place with new fasteners.
The other thing that has never worked on the car, is the heater, which is bypassed. Judging by the green fuzzy corrosion, I figured either the heater matrix or the mixer tap thingo gave up the ghost while the car was in Japan.
So we have new hoses and the mixer tap thingy.
I'm always surprised at how much stuff is available for the Hako in Japan...with the exception of the stickers, all the parts above came out of Nissan parts boxes.
The last item are some really nice parts that just came in from Beta Motosport in the States. They're billet axles which allow me to fit a Subaru LSD to the Hako.
An R180 Subaru STi LSD just bolts up under the back end of the Hako, with no modifications. The problem is, the Nissan driveshafts aren't compatible with the Scooby diff insides. So the Beta Motorsport axles are Subaru on the inside, and Nissan on the outside. All billet and I've waited since last November for these to be made
The diff by the way, is a STi 4.4:1 2-way plate LSD.
I'll get the diff rebuilt with fresh bearings and seals, and then we can have a go at installing it.
No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.