#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The quintessential Super Turbo and K10 resource!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 am 

First things first, JNC seems to be working at a decent clip today so I'm getting these pictures up and posted as fast as I can, haha. Being across the pond has made JNC spotty at best while the upgrades are going on, haha. Regardless, things to be smoothing out a bit now!

Alright, so some of you may remember, I was daily driving a Toyota Chaser for a while. It was big, warm, safe, well equipped and bleeding boring. With an automatic and only 160 hp to lug around that 4 door mass of old man car, it was also impossible to extract fun out of. So naturally, it couldn't last. I needed something fun, but what to choose? There's plenty of fun cars for cheap, but they're so common they lose that unique character I'm always hunting for in a car (if you don't understand my constant drive for a unique car, read my Mitsubishi 360 thread, haha). So I needed something fun, exciting and incredibly unique.

Oh, before I spoil it all (I'm sure the majority of you guys have already scrolled down to look at the pretty pictures, but I digress) I should state that I've set myself a rule here. I am not allowed to buy a car that you can get back in the US. My time here is limited and I intend to spend it driving the craziest rarest cars I can get my hands on. Since I've gotten here I've owned an AE86 Levin, Mitsubishi Minica, Mitsubishi 360, 4-Door Hakosuka, Bellett and a Chaser. So that brings me up to my 7th car, a 1 of 10,000 Nissan March Super Turbo (points go to Camshaft for guessing which car the quickest, haha)!

Main points first, it's twin-charged! That's right, a supercharger provides me with 10 psi of boost up to about 4000 rpm and then the turbo kicks in, bumping boost up to 14 psi and rocketing the car up to it's 6500 rpm redline. It's absolutely hilarious to drive, you put your foot down and it goes like stink! It only makes 110 hp, but at only 770 kg and with a torque curve that makes V8s envious, it's just huge amounts of fun.

More engine talk, the supercharger operates off a magnetic clutch. So if you drive with a light foot the supercharger never spins. If you put your foot down, the magnetic clutch engages and the supercharger spins up, giving boost instantly! When the turbo starts making heavy boost the supercharger clutch disengages and the supercharger stops spinning so it's not longer sapping power from the engine. Genius design!

Interesting points about this car in particular. It's been repainted and looks amazing. Can't for the life of me figure out why. If it's an accident car, someone did such a good job of repairing it that I can't find a single thing wrong with it. It drives perfectly smooth and straight and feels tight as tight can be. There are some seals on the engine leaking and it needs new tires and brake pads, but other than that, the car is gorgeous!

The suspension from the factory is decently stiff and the car just grabs the road. In the reviews I've read, they all complain about understeer, but you'd have to be pushing the car really hard to get it to understeer and I just don't have the balls to push it that hard on the street. So reviews be damned, for a street car, this thing is damn near ultimate!

The interior is so minty fresh it makes an Altoids can want to take a shower. In other words, it looks brand new inside! There's a little bit of sun-fade on the door handles and window crank handles, but some paint will fix those so quick it's a wonder why I haven't done it yet.

The engine is a 930 cc 4 cylinder with some pretty unique design choices. For example, one belt drives the AC (goes from the crank to the AC with a tensioner in the middle). The AC compressor is double grooved though. Another belt goes from the AC to the alternator to drive that. There is no direct belt from the alternator to the crank. I have to have to AC or I have to get creative in remounting my alternator!

The turbo is mounted high on the front of the engine and has a y-pipe coming off of it. One half of the y-pipe feeds the supercharger and the other half skips the supercharger and goes direct to the intercooler. So not only when the turbo comes on does the supercharger clutch cut out, pipe length drops considerably as well. When the turbo comes on you can really feel it, the car really moves hard then!

The supercharger sits low on the engine, almost on the same horizontal plane as the crank shaft. When it whines you can really hear it, but it's not as high pitched as I was expecting. You get this kind of mid range whine and behind it you can hear the turbo spinning up. Then when the turbo hits, all hell breaks lose, haha.

The car has enough lights on the front to make the alternator cry like a little girl at night. Seriously, with all lights on, the blinker clicking and the radio going at night when idling at a stop light, the voltage gauge reads a mere 10 volts! Get moving and it bumps back up to 12 to 12.5, but man the alternator is not up to the task of power all the light coming off the front of the car, haha.

When I got the car I received two keys, a spare that was cut into a generic buy off the shelf at the hardware store key and some weird key with a cat on it. I gave the cat key no thought and just tossed it on my desk thinking it was someone personalized key they got at a key shop or something. I was actually really upset that I didn't get the original key. Then I was flipping through the owner's manual and stumbled across this page showing the cat key. The cat key IS the original key!

Apparently the cat's name is Asashio. It's supposed to be a cat version of the famous sumo wrestler or something. I thought it was hilarious and now use this key as my normal key, haha.

The car is epically small. You look at it and your first thought is, "It's a hot hatch."

Then you see the car next to my impossibly small Mitsubishi and you realize that the roof line is actually slightly lower and the wheelbase is only marginally longer! Sure it's like one and a half times as wide, but still, that's tiny!

I couldn't help but get my two babies out for a quick "family" photo.

I actually went to Nissan today and ordered 500 bucks of parts. So ya, this thing is coming apart a bit for some good old maintenance work! Expect some good nitty gritty pictures from that in the near future!

Hope you guys enjoyed the pictures!
Cheers
David

Last edited by Nakazoto on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My new daily (it's twin charged)!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:58 am 
Mild Cam

Yes! So glad you actually got one. The cat key is tremendous, hahaha! Is this the same March Super Turbo you showed us before?

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 am 

Japan's proletariat being issued a pioneering, twin-charged minicar in the late 80s is awesome... If only we had more of that sort of thinking nowadays, from any country :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:06 pm 

Love it!
Hope you do not mind me posting some inspiration?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:18 pm 
Mild Cam

I'm liking the Hoshinos on that "Silhouette" styled example. David, take note. :lol:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:24 pm 

That's so cool. Little cars of the past are the Future. :?

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:38 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Looks a bit like other small cars from the era, but a FAR superior motor option.

Is it fwd or rwd?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:34 pm 

FWD

You have one of my dream cars!!!! I hate you!!!!!!!!!

Send it here and I'll give you a kidney.

Cannondale R1000 - Daily

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:43 pm 

Before reading this, I never heard of the car, but wow. That thing is insanely awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:28 am 

Nakazoto, tell me you saw all the information and photographs I posted up here.
The links, the information about the super silhouette, the parts brochure, matchy info, kondo racing info, etc etc etc....All seems to be gone.
2 days work for nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 am 

And the last time I looked this topic had over 270 views now it is down to 170.
Seriously, what?

Edit - and we were half way down page 2!

Edit 2 - JNC, please tell me we can get this lost information back?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:55 am 

Can anybody else confirm that they even saw what I posted?
The last thing was about the K10 March Rally car with lots of photographs of Per Eklund driving it in the Acropolis rally etc.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 am 

Nakazoto, you replied to a few of my posts so at least I think you got to see some of them but which ones I am not sure.
Ben has posted up this -

UPDATE 2011-08-01: The upgrade has been completed. The site should be operating pretty fast now. We had to migrate to a different server, so posts made in the last 24-48 hrs may be lost. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Not sure why we could not have been forewarned about this and I could have held on for a few days before posting the motherload of all JNC posts.
Seriously, 2 pages of images, research, information and interjected with relevant links takes a while to do.
Anyway, I will try to remember and re-post but give me a few days.

ToolZ.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:26 pm 
Administrator

i managed to read it b4 it went byebye :| :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:41 pm 

matt wrote:
i managed to read it b4 it went byebye :| :lol:

Not much I can do but re-post bigger and better I suppose! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:20 pm 

The last post I saw was the optional parts catalog!
We had the motherload of March Super Turbo information building up here, haha. Oh, well, time to go at it again.

Alright, so I live pretty close to a book store here called Takahara Shouten. They have tons of great books hidden away in that place. My car had the original Owner's Manual and Service Record book in it already, so after a quick run up to Takahara, I managed to get my hands on all the Super Turbo specific service manuals!

Then I went out and bought some nice spark plugs (from a motorcycle shop to boot, haha).

But then I decided that saving money was for chumps and I went to the Nissan dealer and ordered all of this!

That would be a new water pump and gasket, thermostat, thermostat outlet, timing belt, tensioner, cam and crank seal, spark plug wires, cap, rotor, valve cover gasket, valve cover stay grommets, all 3 drive belts, air filter, fuel filter and 10 meters of vacuum hose! Probably going to take me two days to put all this on, but I can't wait!

Also, I did some asking around to people who still kind of remember the March when it was new and they said that Asashio kun isn't based on a sumo wrestler, but was actually a cat that was the mascot for the Nissan March in the 80's.

Here's some screen caps.

And the youtube links to the above videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFI87OZxd24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByQwKo29fZQ

Also, a short video of one being driven properly at the All Japan Rally in what appears to be 1993!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok0qEjkIoEg

Alright, now that the site is back on it's feet and moving plenty fast again, let's get this ultimate March Super Turbo/March R resource built up again!
Thanks again Toolz for posting up all the information (I did manage to get to see some of it before it got lost in the interwebs)!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:23 pm 

March Super Silhouette information re-post!

Here it is -

It lives behind this door -

This is the Nissan DNA Garage in Zama, Kanagawa, Japan.

Some more photographs of the Super Silhouette inside the DNA Garage -

The Number 23 K10 March beside it is a Little Dynamite Cup car.

This is my favourite tour of the Nissan DNA Garage and it is not just for fans of The March. They have all the tasty goods in there and we are not allowed in! :cry:
Unfortunately the Super Silhouette is absent the day this film was made but the Little Dynamite Cup car is in there -

(Edit - it is there at 4.38 in Part 3.....but you really have to look for it!)

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQKmEj28P9o

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9w7LSO ... re=related

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RCF6SWl ... re=related

Big shout out to Paddy Comyn for the video. :tu:

Last edited by ToolZ on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:37 pm 

So, what is the story behind the Super Silhouette.
From what I understand it was built by NISMO for super pop star Masahiko "Matchy" Kondo in about 1982.
Here he is in all his glory -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbG-rOFbIvU

He was the mascot of the March advertising campaign and here he is in the car (judging by his name on the helmet and on the side of the car).

He has since had a successful career as both a driver and as team chief of KONDO Racing Team -

http://www.matchy.co.jp/

Here is his bio although last time I posted this the link did not pick up the last letter so you may have to do some work here -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masahiko_Kondō

And here he is at the March 25th Anniversary -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:47 pm 

I am pretty sure he is the guy in all the K10 advertising.
Example -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2WNTie2_N8

And here in some brochures -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:53 pm 

Next up we have a Nissan Genuine Parts brochure from the era.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 69 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next