#
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:28 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MS55 Crown Convertible -Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 am 

Hey guys, my anmes Daniel and I've just signed up. I've followed the blog for a while now.

As said, I own a 1969 Toyota Crown that has been made into a convertible. The car is in need of some TLC, but it being tax time, I'll have some extra money laying around :)

To start with, I just want to get her looking good and running well. There's a 4M under the hood. Already spoken with a Toyota mechanic who's a friend, told me he's built a fair few modified 4Ms! Down the trsck there will probably be a lumpy cam and dual carbies :) I'm thinking for the theme of my build, I'd like to go down the lowrider road. Not a full blown one, but definitely something cool. May start off in primer with some pin striping, but I've got a show stopping paint job in mind for the final product. Wire wheels would be cool, but I'm also liking the thought of some decent reverse meshies with some lip. Let me know

I'd also love to get some MS51 doors and fit them too this, help keep the lines of the car as the old standard doors look out of place

So this is my plan, hope to hear from you guys soon

Cheers

Dan

Attachment:
The attachment 20110720_021.jpg is no longer available

Attachment:
The attachment 20110720_005.jpg is no longer available

Attachment:
20110720_021.jpg
20110720_021.jpg [ 143.73 KiB | Viewed 2648 times ]

Attachment:
20110720_005.jpg
20110720_005.jpg [ 163.77 KiB | Viewed 2648 times ]

Last edited by crown_mad on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MS55 Crown Concertible -Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:48 am 

Do you know the story of this car? Old show car maybe? Is it a 4 door, with the back doors welded and the the top chopped? The only 2 door versions i have seen where utes. Sometimes i worry about modding my crown to much, therefore taking away from the original style of the car. With yours you can do anything, someone already chopped the top off!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:07 pm 

Hey CharlieBucket. The only info I have so far:

It was owned by an old bloke who lived in the Riverland (huge area known for it fruit growing here in Aus). He drove it up until 2005 when he passed away. The owners I bought it off had it sitting in their front yard up until early this year when I bought it off them for a measly $350.... Yes, only $350 :) It was a sedan thats had it's roof chopped and the rear doors welded. That's why I'd eventually like to have some MS51 doors on there . There is a massive bar running from LHS to RHS which is for rigidity.

Attachment:
20110720_012.jpg

The cops here in SA are known for not knowing the actual laws and will defect me at the drop of a hat. That's why I'm calling around a few places to day to find someone to help me with a roll bar. I've thought about it, when this happens I'll just rip the rears seats out all together and have a 2 seater convertible.

After some more thought last night, I'm thinking black primer with yellow/green pin striping and a nice set of polished hubcaps with red or white walls! Let me know what you guys think.

Cheers

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm 

I have actually seen a few photo's on ClassicCrown where there is a Gun Metal Gray MS55 convertible. Again, it was here in Australia over in the Eastern states I think. This isn't the same car, this was blue at some point in it's life :)

BTW, my avatar pic is my daily. A 1989 Crown Royal Saloon G! V8, full leather interior, touch screen tv :) I'm currently building her into a VIP cruiser, just bought some more parts so I can put in my UAS bags within the next couple of months

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 pm 

does it have to have a roll bar to be legal? if the chassis has been strengthened already it should still be strong enough without the roll bar?
alot of older convertibles didnt have roll bars and i think it would spoil the look of this car.

looks like a good find and the price was certainly right! looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 pm 

Fibbles, I've been told because it's a '69 sedan converted to a convertible that it HAS to have one. Apparently there isn't supposed to be a bar underneath bracing it. I was like you to begin with, but if the roll bar is built minimalistic I think I can pull it off without destroying the overall look of the car..... Should make it look like a half cage :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:08 am 

that sucks, but if you can make it look like its meant to be there then it shouldnt look bad at all! me being the tight arse i am would clean it up and rego it to drive as is!
i like the sounds of your plans for it though!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:47 pm 

Flat black, 16" steelies with red glitter paint!
MS51 doors? Are they longer? Wouldn't that be a crazy amount of work?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:36 pm 

Charlie, yes they are longer and yes it would be ahuge amount of work. But somones already spent a lot of time and money on chopping the roof, so it is well worth it! :D I'm actually thinking of some Moon disks to start off with.... What do you guys think? I've ordered a few pin striping books off the net. I've always loved this art style, its about time I just start doing it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:45 pm 

So I've just received the rego papers to put the Crown under my name. As soon as it's rego'd I'll be parking it at my place where surgery shall begin :) Already have a new 4M lined up, with 20 thou k's on it. Also, the pin striping books are here, ordered some extra supplies which will be here before the months end. Still debating the wheels now...... What would you guys prefer to see? Also a mate of mine has all the parts for a disk brake upgrae also :) In the next few months I want her in decent running order, that way I can hit the pavement once it warms up again

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 am 

why not just throw some contrasting colour steelies on it for now? with some chrome nuts and bullet style centres? cant wait to see some pinstriping happen!

Post subject: Re: MS55 Crown Convertible -Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:33 pm 

I've been a bit slack with this old girl. Here's a few pics of the new suspension she'll be cruising on :D

Attachment:
20111111_001.jpg

Attachment:
20111111_002.jpg

I'm still going to be going the lowrider route now, but it will have to be a bright colour scheme as opposed to matte black. Pinstriping will still be going ahead also.

The reason I've slacked off is no job plus I have recently bought a 1976 RA23 Celica

Cheers

Dan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:33 am 

i wish we had these here !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:44 pm 

What do you mean mazdafreak? I live in the same state as you :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am 

Looking forward to seeing your progress. I have an MS53 Crown that is getting put on air too. Although right now Im fearing my wheel and tire choice may cause some issues unless I get rid of the panhard bar and go to a watts or 4 link. The wheel fitment is going to be pretty tight in the rear so the lateral movement caused by the panhard could cause the tires to foul the fender when aired out.

I've been known to do a little striping myself so I'm glad to see you picking up the brushes and giving it a go. Its a dying art. I'm still learning but I've had some passable results with projects so far. Im sure my wagon will get a few stripes before all is said and done.

A recent striping project

Post subject: Re: MS55 Crown Convertible - Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:07 am 

So the beast is finally home. I've been pulling out the interior. Floor plan is near perfect, a few minor surface rust spots. I'm going to be working from the boot forward. I'll be repainting the boot in the next few weeks. Hopefully by then I'll have some cash for some sound deadner and some new carpet. I'll load up some pics soon :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:15 am 

I unfortunately can't load any of the pics I took today due to "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:07 pm 

Yay, pics!!! So this is my girl in her cosy new home

Starting to pull the interior out

What a clean floor pan!!!

The boot is in good knick

And lastly, a pic of my demonic helper. She wouldn't leave me alone until she was sitting in the car

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:10 pm 

hi!i converted a 4d into a 2d for about a 10 years ago.took the door measures from a ms-51 and made the doors from 2 front doors.here´s a couple of pics.good luck with your project!
http://crown-corona.net/gallery3/index. ... -8-2003/13
http://crown-corona.net/gallery3/index. ... -8-2003/12

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:19 am 

After a long time of not even thinking about her, I've finally decided to make it into a pillar less hardtop :D

I'm trying to figure out the angles for the roof and rear posts to make sure it flows. I'm going for a "kustom" look

Cheers

Bear

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next