#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: Honda Z50A Carbon custom
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:36 pm 

I put together this one over a few years and it was in 4mini magazine the other month. All the carbon parts I made myself, and lots of other one off fabrication work went into it. Ill try and get into all the details over the next few days but here are some pics from the Magazine article.

Post subject: Re: Honda Z50A Carbon custom
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:24 am 

Thats your ride?Its sick :) I was always interested in honda minibikes (dax,monkey,gorilla,ape) so for me this is nice :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:12 am 

One of them.

Well this is where it all started. A left over bottom end from another project which i had the cases bored to fit a 54mm cylinder jug. The plan was to build the 50 into a over square 95cc with a prepped all honda race head. I also put in a AB27 4speed trans that i picked up off of Yahoo Japan auctions. I figured with the short wheel base of a z50a and no rear suspension that I should build the motor to make its power up top and have less punch at the bottom as even in a stock form they are pretty wheelie prone.

The frame i got off Ebay for 30$ and i cut the headlight ears off and welded on some from a Yamaha RD that my neighbor gave me.

The plan on this build was to do as much of the fabrication my self and to make the bike as clean as possible. No cables or wires showing.

Here is the motor when it was first finished. the head i ended up with was a Honda NICE 110 head that i ported and had the rockers polished and lightened. Valves were 22 19 and the cam is a Takegawa R20 cam which is great for the top end.

[img]No longer nuts i got the time the other night to button it up.

Its a 95cc (54mm bore), honda nice 110 head with R20 cam, intake and exhaust porting work by RJP racing, lightened rockers, Honda monkey 4 speed, TB HD billet basket auto clutch, polished cases and side covers, G-Craft intake, and Yosh TM24 carb.

Just need to get a new kick start seal and ill be able to test it.

Im really looking forward to seeing how this one goes. I wanted to built a revver as i thought it would be a better fit for a bike with no rear suspension then motor that had a ton of low end torque.

Image[/img]

The stator cover a friend made on his CNC which i then later removed for a more clasic style one.

[img]No longer nuts i got the time the other night to button it up.

Its a 95cc (54mm bore), honda nice 110 head with R20 cam, intake and exhaust porting work by RJP racing, lightened rockers, Honda monkey 4 speed, TB HD billet basket auto clutch, polished cases and side covers, G-Craft intake, and Yosh TM24 carb.

Just need to get a new kick start seal and ill be able to test it.

Im really looking forward to seeing how this one goes. I wanted to built a revver as i thought it would be a better fit for a bike with no rear suspension then motor that had a ton of low end torque.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 am 

So there are a few things that seriously seem out of place on a modified hardtail build. One of them at least for me is the welds. Honda’s early welds look like they were actually performed by trained monkeys. If you have taken a close look at a early Z50a you will know what Im talking about. Sure these are great to leave well alone with if your building a points restoration but they have no place on a restomod build. This is one thing Ive been spending much more time with then I thought I would. At first thought of powder coating the frame, but getting everything smoothed out for powder coat could have sent me to the loony bin. Believe me I tried at first but ended up changing my plan and in turn ground out as much as I could and smoothed with filler. All the added tabs and joints now have a seem less look to them. Enough to make a vintage show judge cry, which is just what im looking for with a custom frame rework.

At this point I also drilled the frame to run some of the wiring harness in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:22 am 

So after making a custom 1″ bar set for the hardtail then realizing they were just too big and coke can looking, I went back to the drawing board and revisited the 7/8th” fold down monkey bar set. I really liked the idea of an internal throttle and knowing that the old hardtail bars came that way I knew the custom hardtail would have to as well. The only thing is the old hardtail bars throttle action is horrible and I knew there had to be a better design out there. After a good amount of searching in the custom metric cruiser scene I found a billet internal throttle assembly that was designed with 6 bearings for a smooth as silk action.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:26 am 

After trying 6 different sets of grips and not liking any of them a friend was over looking at the project and suggested that I check out the Rizoma billet grips. I liked the idea of billet grips but so many of the ones that are out there don’t really fit what I’m going for. This project doesn’t really say hard core, bullet shell, flamed, scull dagger, etc. I was really close with a Kijama brushed metal cap grip set but the caps didn’t work with the internal throttle assembly I had. Plain rubber grips didn’t cut it either. The Rizoma seem to be a fit after some adjustments to their design. They have the exact style I like but they are made to work with a more traditional style throttle assembly replacing the slide tube completely. However this didn’t work for me as my billet internal throttle doesn’t quite fit the same. So i had to remove the plastic liner from the Rizoma right hand grip and do some sanding to get a nice slide fit on the throttle. I also has to tap and add two set screws to hold it in place on the throttle assembly. Below pictured is the finished product. Tank and headlight were not the final ones but i had them on there so i could start running the bike around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:30 am 

Ok big jump forward in time but I wanted to talk about the pipe. A Belgian friend of mine made one of these for his z50a's a long while back and I convinced him to make me one in exchange for an Iphone. So there are as far as i know of only two of these setups. Its stainless and the billet cap has LEDs in it that act as the taillight/brake light.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:34 am 

Ill get into all the composites soon for this one. Lots of info i could dump here but I did make all the form plugs, molds and pieces myself for the bike including a headlight bucket which was more tough then the gastank.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:21 am 

Nice pics man 8) I want to make some custom mini but you know money loss small time for fun and others :| Maybe post some vids of it :wink: ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:41 pm 
Mild Cam

This is my favourite bike of yours. It's just everything I've always wanted. After seeing my first Honda CT70 all those years ago, this is pretty much thye culmination of the dream that's been growing in my head for nearly a decade. Nice job.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:24 pm 

the amount of work and creativity that you have put into this is beyond amazing :tu: give yourself a pat on the back, you earned it!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]