#
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:51 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My '77 Goldwing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:31 pm 

Well, I finally bit the bullet, and bought a motorcycle. After years of "thinking about it", it finally happened. :P

I've been in this guy's shop 100 times and seen this dusty/crusty old thing in the corner and always wanted to ask if it was for sale...

Well, today I finally did break down and ask. He said, "yeah, we're about to move the shop next month, and I don't want to haul it across town, so make me an offer". After offering an amount so shockingly low that I thought it would get me punched in the face, he said yes. So I loaded it up and took it home. :mrgreen:

He said he wasn't sure if it would run or not since how it sat was exactly how he bought it, dusty and unused. Upside of that is that it only has 36k miles, which is fairly low for a Goldwing. All the others I saw for sale were in the 50-60k range, which hopefully means I still have another 30k miles to go on this engine... :tu: :mrgreen:

For giggles, I went ahead and replaced the battery (figured I needed to anyway), drained the old gas out and put fresh gas in. It fired up within the first 3-4 seconds of cranking, and settled into a butter smooth idle. Score. 8)

All the lights work, the brakes work good, and it rides like a brand new bike. Well, like a brand new 35-year-old bike, anyway. :P

After a really good scrubbing:

And what I want it to look like within the next month or two:

When I fired it up it sounded REALLY mean, kinda like a Harley with a proper crankshaft design. And when I looked underneath I could see why. There's holes in the bottom of the mufflers. :shock:

I swung back by the shop where I got it and spoke with the guy I bought it from (he's a huge Goldwing collector) and he said, "yeah, you can't get those mufflers any more. They quit making them, but here, take this box". When I open the big heavy box I see there's a complete NOS Honda exhaust in it, from cylinder head to chrome tip. Score again. 8)

More pics here:

http://www.510garage.com/photos/thumbna ... ?album=320

In case you don't know your old Hondas, it's a '77 Goldwing GL1000. Very sophisticated bike for it's day, and a heck of a fun ride. I look forward to many fun miles on it...

Updates as they happen... :tu:

Post subject: Re: Project Goldwing, aka "Feeby"...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:42 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Awesome! I love it. I've been trying to talk the wife into allowing me to buy a big bike. Haven't decided on one yet, but I'm thinking about an old honda or kikker hardknock 200, hmmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:37 am 
JNC Fanatic

NIce bike John. See now you me and Tim can all go for a ride together. :D

I just need to get my bike working now, LOL.

Hey, if your not going to keep the bars, can I have them?

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:54 am 

kingtoy wrote:
Hey, if your not going to keep the bars, can I have them?

Sorry, they're keepers. :mrgreen:

This bike, other than the seat, is all original. So I won't be doing any mods that can't be undone. So that means saving everything that comes off. :wink:

Post subject: Re: My '77 Goldwing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:22 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I wonder what that solo seat on the modded goldwing came off of? I'm really digging the bike! Not so keen on the bulky rear fender though with that solo seat, but I like it a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm 

shane_lxi wrote:
I wonder what that solo seat on the modded goldwing came off of?

Looks like every other "generic" solo/bobber seat I've seen on a million Harleys... :mrgreen:

Quote:
Not so keen on the bulky rear fender though with that solo seat, but I like it a lot!

Yeah, I will definitely go with a shorter/slimmer fender on the front and rear. :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:57 pm 

Decided to get some work done on the bike since I got off work a little early today...

Tunrs out those holes in the mufflers were man-made. :roll:

Looks like someone wanted the bike to be louder so they cut holes in the pipes just in front of the mufflers...

Got that old rusty crusty thing off and it's headed for the bin...

Finally got around to opening the box with the new muffler in it. Turns out it wasn't just a muffler, there was also new chrome trim panels for the exhaust, new bolts, new mounts, and new gaskets for the headers! All new OEM in the packages, too! I love NOS goodies... :tu: :mrgreen:

Awesomest part was it all came off and went on without breaking one single bolt!!! :P

New exhaust on...

Tracked down and talked to the previous owner (the one before the guy I bought it from) today. He had no explanation for the exhaust cutouts, but he did have the original airbox stashed in his parts pile. :tu: :mrgreen:

Got it from him and put it back on, along with a fresh airfilter... :tu:

Two things you may notice, yes the airbox goes inside the "gas tank". On a Goldwing the fuel tank is actually under the seat. Good spot as it puts that weight lower down, and it allows it to run a 5 gallon gas tank. 8)

Second thing, yes I will clean that rust off the lid and repaint it very soon. :P

Where he had it stored in the garage, some water collected there over the years and rusted the surface of the lid. Fortunately that's the only rust it picked up. :tu:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:23 pm 

Great find!! '75-79 GL is exactly what I want for my next bike. I put over 10k miles/yr on my bike, which is a bit too high for an old CB I think. I've heard of these GL1000s getting over 100k miles--even 200k--without needing a rebuild, so you've got a lot of miles ahead of you. Very solid. And the boxer layout gives it a nice growl with the exhaust opened up a little.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm 

Joel wrote:
which is a bit too high for an old CB I think.

Yeah, they seem to only go about 50-60k before needing a rebuild. I think it may be an air-cooled versus water-cooled thing? Water-cooled engines (like the Goldwing) seem to last a good bit longer. Also, having more torque than a CB750 means not having to rev it so high.

Quote:
I've heard of these GL1000s getting over 100k miles--even 200k--without needing a rebuild, so you've got a lot of miles ahead of you.

I hope so. :P

Apparently the key to longevity is changing the timing belt every 25-30k miles. This one's at 36k, so I'll probably do that before too long.

Also, I've seen complete "ran-when-pulled" engines on ebay for $400-450. Might buy one some time soon to rebuild for later use. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:33 pm 

Had some spare time today and wanted to make something else for it... :P

I had a big sheet of flat carbon fiber, and I needed a place to affix my state inspection sticker. Most bikes have a flap below the license plate for it, so I made this.

The plate covers most of it, but I made the hanging down bit long enough to fit the inspector sticker on one side, and a JNC sticker on the other side. :P

I need to rotate the decal a bit so the words aren't obscured by the plate. I'll sort that out when the new plates arrive next week. :tu: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:41 pm 

this things gonna be so sweet! i take that back, it already is :mrgreen: im really glad the motorcycle forum was added, now all we need is a couple pages in the magazine devoted to these two wheeled classics :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:30 pm 

Joel wrote:
Great find!! '75-79 GL is exactly what I want for my next bike. I put over 10k miles/yr on my bike, which is a bit too high for an old CB I think.

Also, as a bit of a "warning" to you, these are quite a bit faster than a CB750. At least this one is considerably faster than the two CB750s I've ridden. They top out at around 120-125mph, 0-60 is in the 5.5 second range, and they can rip off a flat 13sec 1/4 mile time. Not quite as fast as a modern 1000cc sport bike, but probably quicker than any other vintage Honda.

And it is maybe 10% bigger in overall size than a CB750.

But I love this one, so unless you're 5'6" and 150 pounds, I'd say get one. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 pm 

Debating on two different paint schemes, so if you want to voice your opinion, now's the time. 8)

Either a 3-tone color combo like this:

Or a "John Player Special" paint scheme like this (but glossy black, not satin):

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:40 pm 

Second one suits it better

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:49 pm 

apextamer wrote:
Second one suits it better

I agree. Just ordered the JPS logos. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:20 pm 

My vote's for JPS. But I'm a little biased... when I have a black vehicle I have a tendency to put gold pinstriping/details on it, like my CB650 and my old 5 Series (which went through 2 different iterations of gold striping):

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:48 am 

I love that CB. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:10 pm 

nice wing man :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:34 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
I love that CB. 8)

Thanks. I'll trade you straight up for the GL.

:tu:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:48 pm 

Joel wrote:
Thanks. I'll trade you straight up for the GL.

If you were closer, I'd be very tempted to do that... :mrgreen:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 40 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next