#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:52 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 110 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 'Mistress' - 74' Corona Mark II
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 am 
JNC Fanatic

Don't have much to say, but I love your car, and I love this thread. 8) :tu: Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 pm 

Thank you :D

Picked up the engines. :mrgreen:

I'm going to check to see if I'll be able to swap in the 1j without worrying about it getting stuck when I import it. If I can't, the engine will be put in boxes and swapped later, and the spare engine will be sold.
Also depends on where I PCS to next. I should know next week if I'm staying overseas.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:32 am 

Hey man, got your rain guards all together fasteners and all. Have you found out anything about being able to swap in engines yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:24 am 

Got the new hood in and on. Still waiting on the cowl though, should be in tomorrow.
The difference in the core support from mine and the car it came off will keep me from actually closing the hood right now, but in due time, i'll have all the parts.

core support/hood latch. I'll need to swap this too. The hood latch hook sits about 2" further forward on the new hood.

and compared to my grille... longnose :lol:

theunstated wrote:
Hey man, got your rain guards all together fasteners and all. Have you found out anything about being able to swap in engines yet?

Awesome!
Not yet. Although, 'KP30' took his laurel back last year with an SR20 in it and didn't have any problems.
I'm going to send out some emails though and see what I can find out. I still don't know where I'm going next, but I'll let you know what I found out.

also, I got the pic of the core support above. If your parts car has the piece that will work for me, I'll need that too. I think I'll just run it without a grille.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:44 am 

Hey man good looking hood for the car. Great snag at such a good price. I have the same radiator support.... it would have made it really difficult if I hadn't found the grille and hood off of the GSS. I have the two grille and grille center for the long nose as the top center support and latch. If you want the whole radiator support we can pull it for you if we have to. We still have the red car as of right now and it is gutted so if you want anything else off of it now is the time before it gets junked. The doors are in good shape. When i get the inside gutted they are all yours. If you want all of the front end, doors, we can make you a good deal on the whole thing, we just need to get a way to get it down there to you.... We have the crash pad from the other car but it got a little distorted when something leaned on it you are welcome to as well

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:18 am 

theunstated wrote:
Hey man good looking hood for the car. Great snag at such a good price. I have the same radiator support.... it would have made it really difficult if I hadn't found the grille and hood off of the GSS. I have the two grille and grille center for the long nose as the top center support and latch. If you want the whole radiator support we can pull it for you if we have to. We still have the red car as of right now and it is gutted so if you want anything else off of it now is the time before it gets junked. The doors are in good shape. When i get the inside gutted they are all yours. If you want all of the front end, doors, we can make you a good deal on the whole thing, we just need to get a way to get it down there to you.... We have the crash pad from the other car but it got a little distorted when something leaned on it you are welcome to as well

Thanks, got the cowl and hood for 35,000 shipped ($443). Iirc the hood was 11500 and the cowl 5500, It's not all that cheap to ship down here with local shipping.
You are awesome. I'll talk to a few friends and see if I can get a boat or something up there, unless you want to mps parts down and save me some money :mrgreen: . If that's the case, I can supply you with lots-n-lots of bubble wrap.. and a gorilla box for anything small. lol
I can use the crash pad as long as it's in one piece. It'll be redone anyway, so I can work with it.
If the top piece of the core support is the only difference, it should just unbolt like mine. I'm not sure what I want to do with the grille, I liked how it looked without one. lol
As for the doors, I mainly need the passenger door, my driver door is good. The passenger side isn't real bad, but i'd with everything else, I'd rather just replace it than spend the extra time on it.
I'll take a look at my interior and see if there's anything I want/need from yours and let you know.
So; radiator support, passenger door, rain guards, crash pad, and possibly some other stuff.

edit... if you have the gauge cluster & trim, and the clock from the console. Fuel cap and surround if they're not all pitted real bad. And i suppose I'll take the grille and headlight surround, the wife says she likes it. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:21 pm 

Hey man yeah. Sounds good. If we can find a place to get the parts shipped we will be good. If I can MPS them to you I will, but our post office doesn't really like to ship big things. For you to be able to use the grille, and upper support and latch and such you will need to change the radiator support. It will be better for your 1j swap anyway as it moves the radiator out almost another inch, but that's personal opinion. I do like the looks of the car without a grille too, I am possibly going to take my other grille that had its emblem stolen and phantom it to see whether or not I like it. Take a look at your interior, and let me know if you want/need anything else from the interior. I am probably going to use the clock and the gauge cluster and such for mine, but there is some rewiring required so I am not ready to get into it quite yet. Anyway.... Send me a message with whatever you want. I will check around for shipping methods as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 pm 

Ok, well I got some information on the MPS sending option. I can send any parts MPS as long as the longest width and longest height are less than 130 square inches, and the total package weight is less than 70 Lbs. The doors and such might be do able if they are stripped completely out and packaged separately. The Grille and headlight surrounds are do able depending on the way they are packed along with all the chrome. The latch and such to is possible and can probably be packaged with the window rain guards. The crash mat is going to be ok as long as I can find a good box to ship it. Do you want the radiator support. I need to know by Friday so I can plan to take it off. If you are going to use the grille and such you are probably going to need it as the grille attachment points are further forward and the upper hood latch assembly will not work with our straight supports without major modification of our existing supports but it is up to you, it will also give you another inch or so to work with in the engine compartment for your engine swap. I will make you a great deal on everything all together if you want it all and we will ship as much of it as possible MPS so it wont cost either of us a thing. I really don't want to separate the doors if I don't have to, as I don't really have a use for one door and don't want to just junk it.... but will understand if it ends up not being able to be MPSed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:43 pm 

man, im loving this build. keep up the great work. 8)

model car blogspot
http://zenkitrdcoupe.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:30 pm 

I think Classic Car Nagoya is parting out one of these that is almost complete.

http://www.n-classiccar-jp.com/english/

It isn't listed, but I saw it there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:01 am 

So I finally found a place to start on the body work. A buddy of mine has a spare parking space at his house, and it just happens to be the covered spot. :D
I dropped it off at his place during lunch and went back after work to start taking her apart. First few hours weren't bad at all, only 3 broken bolts, one cross threaded bolt, 10 mosquito bites, and I didn't hit my head once. :lol:

Right side core support. I hate seeing rust trails. :cry:

Left side

Behind the bottom of the left fender

While I'm down here, the passenger (left) door, rusted all the way down. From the center on is where the paint is still just lifting.

Cowl is back off. The other is around here somewhere.

Small rust spot at the edge of the windshield/roof line.

Top of left fender.

Edge of left fender near the windshield.

Bottom of left fender.

Rear before

Checking under and around the weather strip.

up near the rear window

I'm thinking of fixing the bumpers and painting them chrome rather than actually getting them chrome. The rear is pretty wavy and bent and i missed the last auction for another just like it.
The left side also sits out further than the right, the right side actually sits right where it's suppose to since the mount holes on the side line up.

From the top of the rear, looking down at the left side of the bumper. Notice the inch or so gap.

Right side, sits almost flush.

And done for the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:09 am 

Thank you for the compliments.

@toyguy- thank you. 'theunstated' is helping me out with the cars they have at nagoya.
I'd like to come up and check the place out, but I'm in a hurry to get as much body work and anything else done as I can before i pcs in march.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:21 am 

Hope it helps!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:54 am 

Wow man, looks like you have your work cut out for you. Wish you could have started a bit sooner, I could have pulled other panels for you that you could have pieced in. Just junked it today.... I hated to let it go.... I really wish I could have fixed it but I guess that is just the way things work sometimes. Wish I had somewhere to work on mine like this, I guess I will just have to wait till she gets back home to the states to get taken care of properly. Still haven't heard from CC Nagoya since I asked last Saturday or so... I guess we will hear something when we hear something.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:27 am 

Heya,

So sorry about the delay! I just sent you a PM. I got like crazy bogged down with overtime at my full time job (Classic Car Nagoya is only a part time job on my days off) and didn't get quite enough spare time to do my Classic Car Nagoya job after I got home from work. We're like crazy inundated with orders at the moment at Classic and they've never dealt with this volume of online requests before so they're all scrambling around to get parts together as well, haha. We're getting a system figured out, but since I can only be there two days out of the week, things move kind of slow when I'm not there in person.

Sorry again about the delay, I'm trying to do as much as I can from a simple computer screen, haha. You can bet that the next time they see me in person I'll be kicking them into gear.

Oh, also, if you need any pictures other than the ones I sent you a few days ago, let me know and I'll get on the horn and get them out there snapping away!

Cheers
David

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 am 

Aaron,
No worries. I was going to ask about some sections, but I didn't think about it until it was too late. I wasn't expecting to start taking it apart yet either... I was talking to someone at work and they said I could bring it over. I'm a little bummed I can only half ass it right now though. The plus side is all I'll have later is the chassis its self. fix all the panels and rust on the outside, then work the under body later. This thing REALLY needs to be sandblasted.

David,
Thank you for what you're doing to help us all out.
I am curious, are you/them willing to cut sections out of the shells, or will they just pull bolt-on parts?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 am 

and today's update...

Pulled the other fender, and stripped everything off both.
Pulled the headlight buckets.
and looked around for more rust.

I figured the right fender would have already had some body work done since you could see some lines where the metal was pinched at one point from a wreck. When I had the grille off before, I noticed them.
A little of the front section has some filler. I got one pic you can see how thick it is, it's of one of the holes for the flares. Also, the lower rear part had a section replaced, there's a pic of that too. So far that corner is the best (looking) bit of repair I've seen on the last few cars I've worked on here.

A few things that bummed me out today;
Rocker molding/trim was screwed in on the driver side. I also think it was upside-down... but i'm not sure.
The rust hole mentioned above.
Soon to be rust holes in the trunk floor. (on the sides, where a jack normally sits on newer cars.)

rocker molding

1 of 3 screws

right fender off

rust hole

again

small rust spot, but this piece will be removed to fix the inner layer of the rocker panel.

right fender stripped of accessories

fender corner near windshield

lower rear of fender

lower rear of fender(backside)

front mounting hole for the flare. somewhat thick body filler.

and I'll need some new mirror lenses later on

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:24 am 

love the corona.

makes me have hope for the celica.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:45 am 

Pulled more off today and started fixing the dent on the left quarter.
Found some more rust.

Behind the fuel filler neck trim

close up

pulled the other two flares off.

little hard to see, but the dent on the left quarter

other angle

Left rain gutter

down by the base of the windshield

under side

Right rain gutter

under side

And I forgot I had these, just pulled them out of the back seat.
Power door lock kit. Ordered it for a 4 door so I'd have extra plungers.

This thing really needs to see a rotisserie. I'll do what I can to stop the rust that's already started, but she's going to need some attention soon. Since I don't have the time or equipment to do everything right now, all I'll be doing is the body. The chassis repairs will have to wait.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:47 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Looks like you got lots done. :tu:

Man I hate rust!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 110 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next