#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Possibility of having a "Brochure and Advertising Category"?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:19 am 

Hello fellow members and moderators.
I only recently joined this forum and would like to compliment everybody on a fantastic site.
I am amazed by how friendly and helpful the members are and congratulate the dedicated people who made this happen.
Not only is this forum user friendly and easy to navigate but the members themselves are informed and ready to share their knowledge with those of us who are less technically proficient.
I even started a light-hearted thread myself on Japanese Nostalgic Limousines. It is a little bit silly but hopefully funny and I guarantee there is at least one member out there who owns, is modifying/restoring or who is looking to purchase a luxury retro limo!
Anyway, the reason for this post is that I have noticed there is no dedicated category for Brochures and Advertising.
I have (on my computers swollen brain) a collection of brochures and advertising and I was considering posting it on here. They are a source of invaluable information and can often be a source of inspiration when you are saving for that special classic car or don´t know which direction to go on your restoration project.
So, why does this need a dedicated category instead of just posting them under the garage sections of particular manufacturers?
I had considered this but if I start a thread under say Datsun and Nissan garage it is going to be many many many pages long. Other people will contribute and before long it will be too much of a pain to look through everything until you find the specific model you are looking for.
Also, many people collect the originals of these and a dedicated category would allow for a For Sale/Wanted section.
I also considered posting a long list of links to other sites but c´mon, this is JNC. As far as I am aware this is the biggest and best site for classic J-Tin. We have the opportunity here to create the biggest online database of brochures and advertising for classic Japanese cars so everybody can access it.
JNC is also an international forum and brochures and advertising are country specific.
Colours, models, model names and manufacturers names often vary wildly.
Sure, maybe you have seen a Datsun 240Z brochure but have you compared it to a Nissan Fairlady Z brochure of the same era?
As I said, this is an international community. We even have members in Japan. Wouldn´t you guys like to see this?
Members, let me know what you think by posting a reply here but DO NOT post any brochures here (for reasons mentioned above). Would you be interested in a dedicated category for brochures and advertising?
Moderators, what do you think? Is it feasible/do we have room?
Anyway,thanks for listening.
I will post an example of what I am talking about in about 5 minutes.

(Bare with me, I had all this typed with photographs and my computer crashed and I lost everything).

Post subject: Re: Possibility of having a "Brochure and Advertising Catego
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:26 am 

OK, here is an example of what I am talking about.
A bit random - It is a 1974 Dutch Datsun 120Y brochure! Fan-bloody-tastic!
Enjoy....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...more to come...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:32 am 

Now, would you not like to see this for your car and from every market in the world where it was sold?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:41 am 

Forgot to mention, if we can make this happen I will spend a few days posting what I have on my computer to start the ball rolling.
Thanks again for listening.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:06 am 
Mild Cam

Cool, I never knew Nissan did an ad campaign with the cast of "Boogie Nights." :lol:

I like this idea. Many of us collect assorted ephemera of our favourite car/marquee, and sharing it with the rest of the world would not only be fun, but an invaluable resource as well. For example, I'm sure that Dutch ad shows some feautures specific to Dutch cars (indicators, trim, etc.), making it great reference material for someone restoring a car to that specification.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:20 am 

You said it camshaft
Here is a Finland brochure for the same year

The more observant of you will notice that the Finland version in standard trim did not come with the cast from boogie nights. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:53 am 

... and just to be fair, they are not all Datsun/Nissan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:51 pm 

This is a great idea, I can contribute as well.

I know I have S13 Silvia catalogue, as well as Bluebird of the same era, Skylines, Cedric/Gloria/Cima, etc. of the same era, all in Japanese. I also have early 70s Cedric, Laurel and some others, I forgot, in Japanese. I have some US brochures, too.

Only thing, I have no scanner. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:41 pm 

I have TONS of PDF files... not all are JNC, but many are. I love a place I could deposit what I've acquired....

a few examples....
old Celica xA2x parts views
1973 240Z service manual
MkII Supra service manual
KP61 wiring diagrams
much of the TRD Bible
I also have an old Dobi catalog for mid 80s Toyota

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:44 pm 

"Information = POWER" - you said it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:38 am 

Maybe I should have used better advertising techniques to drum up some support for this idea.
Sex sells!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 am 
Mild Cam

That dude looks like the JDM Jerry Seinfeld.

*nasally, incredulous voice* "I mean, seriously! What is the deal with all these Twin Cam motors?"

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 am 

It would be great to see this. I have a deep collection of '80s U.S. brochures I collected back in the day. I would add to your scan collections as well.

Maybe, instead of creating a new section, just start a new thread in each of the "garages" and add scans to each thread? That way all the Datsun scans, Toyota scans, etc stay sorted by "make". You can encourage others to add to it.

Just be sure to mention the model year of the scan and the nation it was intended for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:29 am 
JNC Enthusiast

This is a great idea, and it would be nice to see it happen.
If I can ever find the time, I would love to contribute - I have about 90% of the US Toyota brochures, but unfortunately I don't have the time to scan them all. I did contribute many of my brochures for the toyotareference.com while it was being built.
BTW - a similar topic to what you are proposing exists on the Old Japanese Car forum.

A few suggestions I'd make would be:
1) a dedicated forum section for brochure / literature.
2) broken down by Make, with sub-categories for Country
3) Photos / scans should meet a set of standards (same size, etc) in order to be consistant.
4) posts should be moderated and edited to meet these standards, OR, limit actual posts to a select few contributors otherwise it could turn into a messy free-for-all.

Of course to achieve all this you'd need to get Admin approval, so I'd suggest PMing them directly and start up some dialogue.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing it happen! :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:35 am 

slimwhitman wrote:
Maybe, instead of creating a new section, just start a new thread in each of the "garages" and add scans to each thread? That way all the Datsun scans, Toyota scans, etc stay sorted by "make". You can encourage others to add to it.

My initial thought was to do this but even for one manufacturer, lets say Toyota, it would be an unbelievably long thread.
(Number of models produced by Toyota) x (brochure variations ie 1973 brochure in U.S. probably different than 1974 brochure in the U.S. for same model) x (countries of the world) = shedloads.

It could become tiresome to look through such a long thread for a specific model as it would be in chronological order of post and not filed under model/year.

I just see so much chaos in the world today (**holds back a tear**) and i´m trying to bring a little order into all our lives (**sweeps back hair and stares into the distance with a vulnerable yet determined look upon his face**). :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:17 am 

Thank you Toyotageek. I appreciate the support.
I am aware that you possess an original of probably the rarest-of-the-rare brochure of the rarest-of-the-rare Japanese nostalgic car ever produced and share my attitude that information between enthusiasts should be shared and not hidden away as "secret information".

I have been on the Old Japanese Car forum. It is where I got the Isuzu Bellett brochure from (there was a bit of a war going on here and I wanted to show that this idea was for everybody and not just Datsun owners :wink: ).
It is an interesting site but lacks the publication (JNC Magazine), membership and ease of navigation that this forum has.
JNC Forum also seems to have a larger and more international membership and therefore a greater possibility of compiling a more complete database.

I am totally agreed that some sense of order would have to exist for this proposal to be truly accessible for the members. This would require someone to commit time and effort editing posts, making sure standards were met, erasing double posts etc. etc.

Note to Administrators -

If it was technically feasible I would be willing to donate a few hours of my week to enable this to happen.

Everybody, let me know what your feelings are on this proposal. Any further suggestions that could positively benefit this discussion are always appreciated.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:34 am 

ToolZ wrote:
Any further suggestions that could positively benefit this discussion are always appreciated.

Thanks.

I should add that if anyone believes that this is not a good idea, has valid reasons why this would not work or simply believes it is superfluous to the modus operandi or raison d´être** of this forum then please also post your opinion.

Thanks again.

**Ran out of Shredded Wheat this morning and ate a dictionary for breakfast. Sorry. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:33 am 

Something else that I would like to discuss concerning brochures that appear on other sites -

I have a file on my computer with scans of a Hakosuka brochure that I admit to lifting of another site.
It is superb quality but ruined by a dirty great big watermark to "stop misuse or theft by another site or forum" that obscures the photographs and information on every page.
I would not post that on JNC for two reasons -
(i). Some information is obscured.
(ii). I would not wish to advertise that site because of this attitude.

I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. On the "Japanese Nostalgic limousine and VIP cars" thread I posted some photographs from another site, acknowledged this, gave a link and even mentioned the two members who were responsible for the post and information.
I find it incredible that people who post these feel the need to protect "their copyright" of the brochure so it is not "misused" by others.
We do not own the copyright.
The copyright is owned by the manufacturer.
I understand the use of watermarks on photographs. If you are the photographer you need to protect both your livelihood and your artistic copyright of the material you produce.
I do not understand the use of watermarks by a person who is posting a scanned brochure on the internet especially if it obscures photographs and information. I believe these people are saying "look what I have and you don´t" rather than "here is something to share that you might find interesting"

Anyway, I think watermarks (including JNC watermarks) would be something that could be avoided if we get the go-ahead for this and if other forums "steal" all "our" hard work then fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am 
Mild Cam

My idea for organization:

Ad/brochure subforum within each section, with dedicated threads for each car.

Examples:

Toyota Garage > Advertising & Brochures > KE70 Corolla

or

Mazda Garage > Advertising & Brochures > FC3S RX7 :mrgreen:

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:36 pm 

Heres some ads out of old magazines i have collected:

My CRX Brochures.

Trying to sort through all my stuff I'm sure I will find more!

SoHonda Garage.
http://sohondagarage.blogspot.com/

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next