#
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Rx2 sedan restro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:15 pm 

Hi All,

Just starting a new Rx2 series 1 resto.

Bought this a little while ago and have been having trouble deciding what to do? Thought if I put it down I might not change my mind to much.
The car was a club car from the 90’s(no rust) but rough (welds and self tapers) I want to remove the flares but not to sure how to attack it yet. I do have another donor series 2 1600 so it maybe the whole quarters but that scares me, I not good with pannels really.

Plans - I want to drive it on the road, NA and would hit the track maybe.

Post subject: Re: Rx2 sedan restro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:28 pm 

Looks like a very nice clean car.

I think the first thing you need to decide is what how you really intend using it. It looks like you really want a street car otherwise you wouldnt have chopped the cage. If it were my car and its as clean as you say it is then I wouldnt remove the quarters. I think if the quarters are truely rust free then I would graft in just the wheel arch sections from the spares car, the repair could be pretty much invisible if done right.

Same goes for the inner front guard, I would unpick and put in a clean section. Looks like a good car otherwise. You really need to be able to weld to do the repairs. If you cant competantly weld, a good panel shop could repair those sections without too much trouble. It doesnt look like it needs much to be presentable. I like the fact it still mostly wears the original paint. I'd just touch up the factory paint on this one rather than go for a full respray myself, it adds a bit of character :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:05 pm 

Ooooohhhh I like it....... :shock:

First thing that pops in my mind is tuff street car / track warrior. I would personally leave the flares (and the front spoiler) cage and everything in, but run a traditional original interior with race seats in front and tuff ported NA motor. The green suits the car well, so as gypsy said, I would leave that and touch up where needed.

What is the rim that is on the LHR of the car?

Good luck with your project, keep us updated. If you need any advice or help there are plenty of good people on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:08 pm 

Thanks

I do weld TIG more than anything (fitter and machinist, welder by trade), panels just frustrate me.
Cage is bolt-in alloy so that’s no problem.
The wheel is a first gen 13 inch Simmons
I finished another car(Group C) awhile ago and it sucks to let it sit and gather dust. It could be registered but straight cut gears and brakes that have to be hot to stop. I take it to the track but thats not too often. :cry:

So that might explain why no flares. Not to keen on green either, I like the colour but something different would be good but you don’t see to many original green Rx2’s.

Would like a tip on where to cut the donor rear guards but? The roof has a bit crows feet happening.

Pic of it back in the day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 pm 

Mate, your RX3 looks sensational!! Now I see why you don't want a green RX2 with flares though.......

If you want to keep the car originalish, there are some cool factory colours. Flair Yellow always looks nice on a sedan......

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:04 pm 

Thanks, your car is very impressive too

I had a white Rx2 along time ago. It would get an original colour paint anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:49 am 

Its hard to advise where to make the quarter cuts without looking over the car in person. The way I see it you want to make the cut so you can dress/ treat the reverse side of the welds so they dont rust, cut them in an area which isnt going to stand out/ look odd, and finally leave as much of the original quarter in place.

Judging by the photos I'd cut just above the factory wheel flare (right round) on the car where the metal is untouched and just inside the door jamb (past the wheel flare/ 1st jamb step). Cut a larger section off the parts car and tech screw the replacement area to the car. Finally when you are happy with the fit use a very thin cut off wheel and cut through both panels so you have a perfect welding gap and 100% conforming edges.

I'd personally MIG it but have seen people TIG similar repairs in place. You shouldnt need much filler at all.

Im only an amateur so take my advise with caution ! Who ever repairs it may prefer to replace the entire quarter, if they have a proper 3 phase spot welder even better. I dont think there is any right or wrong way, you can make a real mess either way and either way can rust in the future if not done right. In my opinion replacing just the wheel flare area is much less intrusive and less likely to cause future problems.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:29 am 

Good starting point mate. Shame about the flares thou. Looks like someone put a Rx3 or Rx4 fuel tank between the strut towers in the back.

Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:08 am 

It had a tank out of a Galant in the boot.

Soda blasted the engine bay this week and checking how the guards fit and front trims. Need to fit the series 1 blinkers but.
I started a monster I think? I'm now wanting to fix every little problem I see. Tunnel looks crap.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:38 am 

RX2 tunnels always seem to cop a flogging at some point in their lives....mine had been belted around on the passenger side, presumably to clear a starter motor at some point. What strut's did the car have fitted, as I just noticed the additional holes in the strut towers?

Are you going to use the front spoiler again? Noticed your cage is gone too.....would love to put a cage in my coupe....I really liked the race look of this car, it was mean. :twisted:

Looking forward to watching this car progress :D

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:50 am 

jdmrx2 wrote:
Are you going to use the front spoiler again? Noticed your cage is gone too.....would love to put a cage in my coupe....I really liked the race look of this car, it was mean. :twisted:

No spoiler. The cage is bolt in, so I'm sure it will get a polish and make some guest appearances.

Commodore strut tops

I was thinking of late 80’s build but I’m seriously struggling with a colour. It will be a factory Rx2 colour but which I don’t know. Does any one know the colours?

I also have been trying to find seat material and have just noticed my BT50 has similar material as Rx2’s did but not vinyl.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:11 am 

how are ya dude.... good starting point m8... luv rx2's hears a pic of my old rx2 i had in the late 90's

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]