#
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:47 am


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:24 am 
Mild Cam
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
This looks so good! I have a thing for 4-door 626s, and yours is absolutely brilliant. I'm so glad you still have this car!

_________________
-Cam
1980 Toyota Celica
1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Camshaft wrote:
This looks so good! I have a thing for 4-door 626s, and yours is absolutely brilliant. I'm so glad you still have this car!


Hi Camshaft, I'm pretty sure I'll be buried in her! :lol: Thanks for the positive feedback. :tu:

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:05 am 
Mild Cam
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
L10B wrote:
Camshaft wrote:
This looks so good! I have a thing for 4-door 626s, and yours is absolutely brilliant. I'm so glad you still have this car!


Hi Camshaft, I'm pretty sure I'll be buried in her! :lol: Thanks for the positive feedback. :tu:

Cheers,
Danny


Once you post some "current" pics I'll have to make a blog post about it. Behind Miatas and RX7s, the 626 is the Mazda I've posted the most about.

_________________
-Cam
1980 Toyota Celica
1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:01 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Camshaft wrote:
Once you post some "current" pics I'll have to make a blog post about it. Behind Miatas and RX7s, the 626 is the Mazda I've posted the most about.


I'd like that Camshaft. :D I'm only up to 1997....still got another 10 years before she's in the form she is today! :)


Next on the agenda was to get the exhaust system completed (early September 1997).

I used cast steam pipe bends off the header plate. IIRC they were 2 1/4" to 2" reducing 90 degree bends. Their ID perfectly matched the exhaust port diameter and suppressed the tinny sound that you normally get with thin wall bends normally used at the header plate. The whole construction was of mild steel/aluminised tube.

Image


The primaries were 2" in size and extended to just behind the drivers door and included a couple of "hotdog" resonators where they combined into a single 2 1/2" tube and before the first custom straight through muffler. A bit of heat wrap was used on the primaries to reduce in cab temps and noise.

Image

Image


It then went out of the first muffler and up over the diff housing to the rear muffler. Mandrel bends in 2 1/2" mild steel were used.

Image

Image


In the following month I finished the exhaust off and started on fitting the freshly retrimmed interior.....and of course put my ORX-626 number plates back on.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Here's a little sample of the new interior.... :mrgreen:

Image

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:43 am 
JNC Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:40 am
Posts: 902
Location: Villeneuve, Qld, Australia
That's more like the RX626 I know mate!

I spy a Fiat X1-9 in the pic too, something you're not telling us mate!

_________________
Too many Mazda's in the collection. 4 Mitsubishi's, 6 Toyota's and now 3 Datsun's as well.
Putting together a Mazda/Japanese motor museum. New bigger venue for the museum has been bought, watch this space!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:51 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
B1500boy wrote:
I spy a Fiat X1-9 in the pic too, something you're not telling us mate!


Hi Tim, would you believe that I had it as a company car in the mid-nineties!? :P

Went alright too! 1.5l with a close ratio Lancia 5-speed! :tu: Almost handled as good as an NA/NB MX-5!

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:20 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 11:37 am
Posts: 31
Location: Seattle
Great read! Waiting for the rest of the story to unfold. :tu:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:08 pm 

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Brisbane
L10B wrote:
B1500boy wrote:
I spy a Fiat X1-9 in the pic too, something you're not telling us mate!


Hi Tim, would you believe that I had it as a company car in the mid-nineties!? :P

Went alright too! 1.5l with a close ratio Lancia 5-speed! :tu: Almost handled as good as an NA/NB MX-5!

Cheers,
Danny


Did your Boss not like you??!

Great to see pics of it all coming together. Its a hard road that's for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:26 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Blur wrote:
Did your Boss not like you??!


Obviously he did not...because the X1/9 was followed by a Saab 900 Turbo automatic that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! :lol: It cured me of ever wanting to own a European car!


Blur wrote:
Great to see pics of it all coming together. Its a hard road that's for sure.


That it is Adrian. That it is! :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:18 am 

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 5:28 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Brisbane
L10B wrote:
Blur wrote:
Did your Boss not like you??!


Obviously he did not...because the X1/9 was followed by a Saab 900 Turbo automatic that wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! :lol: It cured me of ever wanting to own a European car!


Its much better to find out via someone elses money too!


Looking forward to some more happy snaps when you get a chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:37 am
Posts: 184
Location: Ballarat
Gee Danny,
I wish you had posted some of these pics sooner. The pics of your exhaust system would have been a good guide for my exhaust system on my 626 coupe - I'm just getting ready to build some custom resonators
to fit in that recess below the drivers seat. (I love the sound of the current exhaust but I don't want the boys in blue hassling me out!)

Oh, and then I found out how hot a 2" dual system is - the sound deadener was starting to melt off the floor pan and melt the RH tie rod end
grease out. My extractiors are now heat wrapped as well! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 413
Location: Adelaide
I still have the fast fours mag that this weapon featured in. I reckon I have read that article umpteen times. Loved the detail in this car. It is Sooooo clean and looked like a factory fit. Glad to see it is still around and still loved. :D

Bit off topic, but do you remember the yellow coupe that was done around the same era as yours? Loved that one as well!! There is just something about an RX626 isn't there?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 am 
Mild Cam
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
jdmrx2 wrote:
I still have the fast fours mag that this weapon featured in. I reckon I have read that article umpteen times. Loved the detail in this car. It is Sooooo clean and looked like a factory fit. Glad to see it is still around and still loved. :D


Somebody should scan that article in! I'd love to read it.

_________________
-Cam
1980 Toyota Celica
1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:21 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
philip wrote:
Gee Danny,
I wish you had posted some of these pics sooner. The pics of your exhaust system would have been a good guide for my exhaust system on my 626 coupe - I'm just getting ready to build some custom resonators
to fit in that recess below the drivers seat. (I love the sound of the current exhaust but I don't want the boys in blue hassling me out!)


Sorry Philip! :P Yes you must keep the crabs away! :lol: I don't want to hear that your 626 is off the road because of the boys in blue. :x


philip wrote:
Oh, and then I found out how hot a 2" dual system is - the sound deadener was starting to melt off the floor pan and melt the RH tie rod end
grease out. My extractiors are now heat wrapped as well! :D



:shock: oops on the heat damage! The wrapping will get that sorted for you.

There's heaps more changes to go...the car changed direction again in 2000/2001.

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
jdmrx2 wrote:
I still have the fast fours mag that this weapon featured in. I reckon I have read that article umpteen times. Loved the detail in this car. It is Sooooo clean and looked like a factory fit. Glad to see it is still around and still loved. :D


Thanks mate! :mrgreen: Yes it is still very much loved...and I enjoy driving her whenever I get a chance...although she's lucky if she's done 100km in the last 12 months! :cry:


jdmrx2 wrote:
Bit off topic, but do you remember the yellow coupe that was done around the same era as yours? Loved that one as well!! There is just something about an RX626 isn't there?


Yes I certainly remember that yellow series 1 626 coupe. Yes we have the same number plate (Qld vs NSW). That rx626 was a step up from mine...it was more of a show car with it's detailed underbody and suspension. Not sure if it is still around though.

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:01 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Camshaft wrote:
jdmrx2 wrote:
I still have the fast fours mag that this weapon featured in. I reckon I have read that article umpteen times. Loved the detail in this car. It is Sooooo clean and looked like a factory fit. Glad to see it is still around and still loved. :D


Somebody should scan that article in! I'd love to read it.


If you can wait a little bit longer I'll post the article up. It went to print in 1998.

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:40 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Time for some pics of the interior....but first...on the dyno for a tune. :D

Image


The interior was knocked up by a friend I went to school with....don't know where he got the skills from, but he delivered exactly what I was after. Even after 14 years it's still in pristine condition.

Image


Momo Race Steering Wheel - they'd just been released.

Image

Image

Image


VDO Mechanical Oil Pressure and Water Temp Gauges

Image

Image

Image

Image


Current engine bay shot....

Image


Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:11 am 
Mild Cam
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 1678
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
That interior makes me want to cry, it's so beautiful. I need to get cracking on my RX7's interior now. :P

_________________
-Cam
1980 Toyota Celica
1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Camshaft wrote:
That interior makes me want to cry, it's so beautiful. I need to get cracking on my RX7's interior now. :P


Glad to be of assistance Cam! :tu:


We're getting to late 2007 now and just a few last touches were added to the exterior in preparation for a photo shoot. :mrgreen:

Image

Yes, I did butcher an RX-3 badge :shock: ....they were readily available from Mazda and not too expensive back then! :D

In December 1997 I had a photo shoot done by a fantastic young automotive photographer by the name of David Hack. Unfortunately he was very ill with Leukaemia and passed away in 1998 :cry: . I believe an annual classic car show is still held at Toowoomba Airport in his memory.

Here are some photos from the shoot.....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


I designed and fabricated a stainless steel shroud for the thermo-fan.

Image

Image


...and finally I got her out to the track for some fun....Lakeside! :twisted:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

It was a very full on 6 months to complete the external transformation, but it was well worth the effort! :mrgreen: This was by no means the end of the build, not by a long shot! :wink:

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ORX-626 - My Mazda 626 13B Turbo
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:22 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 76
Location: Brisbane, Australia
1998 was a year I really got to enjoy my efforts and in June I took her to FF&R Jamboree at Willowbank. Seen here parked with another rotary powered 626 from NSW.

Image

Image


In October ORX-626 finally made it to print in Fast Fours and Rotaries magazine 8) . Here's the story.....

Image

Image

Image

Image


...and here with my wife's (then girfriend) Series 2 RX-7....

Image


I continued on throughout 1998 getting to Lakeside Raceway as much as possible. Here's a short video from an event...back in the day before anti-shake technology! :oops:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olo7FMYT1oM


Various shots with a 3/5" floppy digital camera! :P

Image

Image

Image


Obligatory modification plates! :tu:

Image


Custom adjustable camber/castor strut top plates I knocked up...IIRC just over 2 degs negative camber and 4 degrees of castor.

Image


New in car entertainment - Pioneer CD Head Unit

Image


Momo Shadow Carbon gear knob

Image


Real time air/fuel ratio gauge - Wolf unit IIRC

Image


In December 1998 a friend had a deal fall through on a series 5 RX-7 front cut with 70k km on it....hmmmm :D Yum 13B turbo powered 626....I like the sound of that! :wink:

Image

Image

Image


Now the fun was really about to begin!

Cheers,
Danny

_________________
L10A
L10B
KPDA
KRBB
KTBA
M13P
TVA
VA


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 4   [ 74 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net