Finally some real progress
Decided to make an effort to start the car up prior to taking it apart.
Just to see if everything works and to get a feel for what needs replacing and fixing.
I have had a spare carb lying around for som time.
Gutted this one to source the jets that were missing on mine.
Did a re-build on mine, properly cleaning all passages and jets, replacing O-rings, gaskets, etc.
I drained the engine oil and replaced the filter.
The oil coming from the engine is of the worst I have ever seen!!
It had a terrible smell that I can not even begin to describe. Does that shit turn rotten over time?
Anyway, filled it back up with some temporary 10W30 oil.
Next up were the ignition system.
Inspected the coil and cables and replaced the point, and the spark plugs.
While the plugs were out I also took a compression test.
Both cylinders came out at a little over 150 psi which is actually quite good if I have understood correctly.
Hooked up a new battery.
The old one probably ended its life back in 1984.
As the fuel system on the car is clogged and requires work I made a temporary frankenstein gravity tank thing
After that I engaged the choke and turned the key...
Some pics for you below:
Bottom one is video of the first turn-over. Click to view. (Sorry for crappy sound
Cellphone-cam is no good...)
I was quite surprised that it fired up so easily.
And even more surprising, it actually kept a steady idle, since I have made absolutely no effort at all making any set-up of the carbs adjustment screws.
There is however some hesitation when giving it som throttle, so I guess I need to adjust some here and there.
-74 Honda N600 restoration project