#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Adam's DR30 RSX mk2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:19 am 

Way back in the day I fell in love with a DR30 sedan that was featured in one of the first issues of High Performance Imports. It was silver over black and had Volk GR-C's. I'll find the magazine and scan a picture. I photocopied the article and stuck it on my wall when I was in second year at uni. By the time I turned 21 I had managed to scrape together enough cash to buy a DR but every time I found one it got sold before I could get money down on it, so I ended up buying a JDM Charade Detomaso (F2 rally homologation model, 1600, LSD, Recaros, rear discs, retuned suspension etc) then sold that and bought a JDM Charade GTti (993cc twincam intercooled turbo, along with the FJ20 it was one of the first production engines to make 100hp/l stock) which I really liked.

One day I was driving past a mate's work and saw a white DR30 coupe on Watanabes sitting outside and almost fell over, I had to have it. I ended up doing a deal with him to swap the GTti plus a couple of spare engines and some cash for the DR30. I then had to get it ready for registration because he hadn't had time to get it legal since it was imported and had just been using unregistered vehicle permits. After a bit of mucking around I finally had my DR30.

After a year and a half I managed to smack the sump into the oil pickup on a bumpy dirt road (sump is lower than the crossmember and the pickup is only a few mm from the sump) so it ended up in the shed for six months until I could afford to repair it. I eventually got the engine repaired and got another six to nine months of use out of it when it started having electrical problems and a friend who had happened to have bought a mint HR30 Paul Newman Version coupe pretty much the same day I'd bought the DR (and lived in the house behind ours) and ended up selling that and buying a MX5 Clubman after a Honda and a Silvia, got in contact with me and asked if I'd be interested in swapping my DR30 for his MX5, which at the time was worth a decent amount more than the DR30, so I jumped at that.

The MX5 was so precise to drive it was like it was from another planet. Anyone that thinks they're a girls car just hasn't driven one hard, they're bloody awesome. As a Clubman it had a manual steering rack, a Torsen LSD, different sway bars and specially valved Bilsteins that were a lot stiffer than the off the shelf items Bilstein sell. It has ended up with Stance GR+ coilovers, a hardtop, rollcage, an AVO turbo kit, Autronic SMC ecu and a dozen sets of wheels. Its not really as fun as it was when it was standard though...

Anyway, last year I thought it was time to grow up and buy a sensible car so I cut down a tree so I could back the MX5 into my courtyard (goodbye summer bbq's :() and bought a nice little 3 door Mk3 Golf. And a set of coilovers. And a set of nicer seats from a VR6 5 door that prevented the rear seats from being used. So my sensible car turned out to be kind of impractical, but I think I've only used three tanks of petrol in it since July, I just don't drive very much outside of going to the supermarket and to my weekend job, as I ride my bike to work on weekdays. Last week I saw a DR30 available on Iron Chef's site and realised that since I don't really drive much anyway, I shouldn't have much of a problem with getting a DR30 as the "daily" (not that I'd use it daily, but far more than the MX5, which has done about 500km in the last two years).

So I've bought another 1984 DR30 RSX, same colour and interior as my old one (which Lee from Canberra now owns, anyone at the Nats would have seen it) but this one looks to be 99% standard and in pretty good condition

Once it arrives I'll get the intrusion bars done and probably do the seatbelts/mirrors/child restraints etc myself, give the engine bay a good steam clean and replace as much fuel and vacuum hose as I can to reduce the chance of anything leaking (and I know from past experience how annoying vacuum/boost leaks on these things are, they have a mile of hoses in there) and get it registered. I'm hoping I can get the same rego my old one had since its been out of the state for a few years.

Then I'll maybe lower it a little bit (but not much), look at getting an exhaust similar to the one I had on the first DR and hoepfully leave the engine at that. My first one was making 124rwkw on 6psi which was enough to make some whooshing noises and feel kind of quick when needed, but it also got pretty awesome fuel economy (10L/100km) for an early 80's engine. It had a reasonably tight diff and I ended up running some 16x7/8 Enkeis with secondhand RE55S 225/50 semi-slicks and I was quite happy with it like that. I was planning on trying to find some Watanabes for it but when I started thinking about that sedan in HPI with the Volk GR-C's I had a DERRRRRR moment... I have a set about 4 metres behind me in the living room hahaha. I bought them for the MX5 as the wheels have a 4x100 pcd, but they ended up being a much higher offset than the markings on the back said, so they didn't fit and I just put them in the corner. Turns out that they only made centres with a 4x100 pcd, and to sell them for Silvias/Skylines/AE86's with a 4x1143 pcd they used a really high offset and supplied them with a set of bolt-on adapters to go from the 4x114.3 pattern on the car to the 4x100 pattern that fitted the wheels, so all I have to do is work out what effective offset I want these 16x7/8 GR-C's to sit at, then get some adapters made to the required thickness. Job sorted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:28 am 

grats, that coupe looks very tidy, easily puts mine to shame. if you ever get sick of the OEM stereo equipment... I could find a good home for it 8)

There must have been several silver/black DR30 sedans in HPI, I saw an article about one a few years ago but it had some pretty hideous looking mesh rims on it, not GR-Cs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 am 

I went through boxes of magazines earlier, I found it. Can't scan it at home though so might take a few days to sort that out.

Its issue 10 of HPI. Silver over black Tekamon sedan with a mesh headrest Recaro on the drivers side and silver Volk GR-C's. It was reprinted with a different layout and some different photos in the HPI 2000 Japanese Import Buyers Guide. I remember seeing a couple of other issues with DR's, there was the blue one with the flares and a white sedan that did nothing for me. Don't remember any red ones though?

The stereo was half the reason I bought it hahaha. I'm thinking I'll put a 4 channel amp under the passenger seat, some new splits in the doors and a 10" sub in the boot and see if I can find a pre-amp kit at Jaycar so I can just plug my iphone straight into it and leave the stock head unit disconnected.

Also just realised I have a pair of mesh headrest Recaros sitting along the wall, might see about chucking them in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:12 pm 

Stock Wheels, ADthree wing and a Stock Radio... Very Jealous.

How long before its landed? Good to see another DR30 in Adelaide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 pm 

Six to eight weeks I think, he has to sort out import approval before it leaves Japan, then its a couple of weeks to ship it, then it has to clear customs etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:22 pm 

Starting my stash of parts to go on it.

Volk GR-C 16x7/8. They're ~ +48 and 4x100 so I'll get some 30mmish boltons to convert to 4x114.3

Mesh headrest Recaros. Fabric is kind of faded and the drivers side has a big hole in one of the bolsters, but I think I've found some rails that might suit them

70's Momo Prototipo. Will need to find a Datsun Momo boss kit to fit it. Had it in my last DR30 but its bloody tiny, so I may find a Nardi instead.

I've got a SAFC in a drawer upstairs somewhere, I guess I could run a couple of extra psi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:30 am 

When I respray the FJ20's rocker cover and inlet manifold in crackle-finish red, I think I'll also pull off the ones from the MX5 and redo them to match. They were originally going to be done that way but my friend decided to spray them when I wasn't there :(

Which lives in

I don't know how I'm going to make it another 7 weeks until the DR arrives :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:20 am 

Anyone know the optimum offset on 7's and 8's on a DR?

I don't plan on lowering it much if at all (already smacked one sump into a FJ20 oil pickup) and I liked the way my 16x7/8 +32's sat on my old one but I'm hoping its possible to go for around +20 because I need to get some bolt-on spacers to go from the 4x100 on the wheels to 4x114.3 on the car on some wheels that are around +47, so they'd need to be around 25 to 30mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:11 pm 

Adam_RSX wrote:
Anyone know the optimum offset on 7's and 8's on a DR?

I don't plan on lowering it much if at all (already smacked one sump into a FJ20 oil pickup) and I liked the way my 16x7/8 +32's sat on my old one but I'm hoping its possible to go for around +20 because I need to get some bolt-on spacers to go from the 4x100 on the wheels to 4x114.3 on the car on some wheels that are around +47, so they'd need to be around 25 to 30mm

I reckon around +15 to +20 offset is optimal if you plan to run something close to the stock 205/60R15 tyre profile.

my DR30 sedan currently runs 7.5J+11 on the front and 8.0J-3 on the rear. At the car's current height the wheels sit outside of the guards (it's painfully obvious on the rear), but I've had it lower before and they "tuck in" thanks to the suspension geometry. It also runs 225/55s on the rear which contribute to a bit of guard rub on acceleration - prior to this it had 195/60s which didn't rub at all.

just like you I'm reluctant to go any lower thanks to denting the sump in the past :x

to give an idea of other widths, my Watanabes are 6.5J+14.5 and 7.0J+15 which follows the 'official' RS-Watanabe matching guide here, and my old SSR reverse mesh wheels were 6.0J+20 and 6.5J+13.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:54 pm 

Hmm, I was planning on running 225/50/16's like I did on the last one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:00 am 

:( Still another 4 to 6 weeks to go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm 

225/50R16s should be fine with the values I mentioned above, maybe allow for slightly more positive offsets.

odd issues with the rear subframe aside, this is how mine looked on the 15x8s when I first ogt it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:58 am 

any updates?has the car arrived in Australia yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:21 am 

those volks would go perfect on my wifes' 08 Fit. stock offset on her car is +55!!!

nice roadster man. you should register at clubroadster.net.. your car would get much approval.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:03 am 

It won't be here for another month or so, its landing in Brisbane on May 3rd, then has to clear customs and be shipped halfway across the country

Post subject: Re: Adam's DR30 RSX mk2
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:07 pm 

Import approval arrived yesterday and the ship leaves in a day or two. Its getting closer :)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 am 

Not long now :)

I don't suppose I'd be able to come close to running 16x8 +0 all round?

Are your guards rolled Orion?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 pm 

Yup, they have been rolled.

the reason my wheels still rubbed was due to the combination of tyre width, offset and vehicle height.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:11 pm 

Jeez Adam it can't be too far away..................... excited ??

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:08 am 

It'd still be in Brisbane, so for international readers, thats half the country, and while Texans seem to like referring to really big things as "the size of Texas", both my state and the one the car has landed in are bigger than Texas (so nyah :p)

I'm not really sure how long it takes for cars to clear customs once they're unloaded at the dock, then I guess they have to be taken to the transport company's yard, then wait to be slotted onto a truck thats headed here, then the trip down takes a couple of days because truck drivers are only allowed to drive for a certain number of hours a day...

What that all boils down to, is that I don't think it'll be arriving for a least a week, in fact it had better not because I have to go to Sydney on Thursday for a course until Sunday afternoon so I wont be around to have it unloaded here or pick it up from the truck yard or whatever

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 38 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next