#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 59 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:28 am 
JNC Fanatic

Hashiriya wrote:
Norton Rotaries are, IMO, the coolest bikes in the entire world.

I wish I could find a museum like that. Super cool.

It was a great day at the museum, the owners cook you lunch and are happy to talk away all day about bikes! I certainly learnt a thing or two!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm 

yep, i've got a Honda H100A here that i aquired last october.
i have always wanted an old bike, and preferably a jap bike, being that when i was growing up, the 2 stroke jap stuff was totally dominant in the racing circles, and having a few old jap cars, it makes sense to add an old jap bike....... or 2 one day??....... to my collection. i don't have any brand preferances in bikes, and with the luvly's ok, i started the ebay search. had to be a small capacity jap bike, old enough to 'look' old, 2 stroke, running, and importantly, cheap. i was keen on a 1969 suzuki t250 hustler that was once a race bike and needed work, but that went for waaaaaaaay more than i was willing to part with. then this popped up a few weeks later.
it's a 1982 Honda H100. they were a 100cc commuter bike that was built between 1980 and (believe it or not) 1996! they went thru the normal model running changes during that time, and being mine is an 82 model, it's the first version, called the H100A. i believe these things are popular these days in small capacity classic racing too, as the head design is very good for it's time, and the original 10 hp can be upped to over 20hp with full race prepping!
i picked it up from outer northern melbourne, and paid very little for it. story goes that it was bought in 1982 by a farmer (hence why it had the knobby tyres instead of the normal road ones when i got it) to use around the farm and to go to the shop for the milk and paper. it clocked up 4600km in 4 years, then ran funny one day, and was parked in a shed. forward to 2009, and the guy i got it from is doing some work on said farm, sees it in the shed, and as he put it, "it followed me home". this guy is a collector of many jap bikes, including some beautiful 60's and 70's suzuki's, yamaha's, kawasaki's and honda's. his shed was amazing! he sold it as he already had a nice H100, and didnt want to wreck this one as it was so good. the funny running was casued by, of all things, a small blockage in the fuel line, so a quick clean, some fresh fuel, and away it went! 5 weeks after i brought it home, i thought i'd better start it and let it run for a while. so ignition on, fuel on, choke out, and 2nd kick.....yes 2nd kick!!.... it starts and runs like a swiss watch! amazing really. it picks up all 5 gears (most H100's were 4 speed, and the 5 speed option is rare), stops and turns, and rides well for an untouched 28 year old bike, still with 4600k from new! best of all with this bike is that most parts are still available brand new, and as it has spoke wheels, drum brakes, and a 1960's-70's look, it fits exactly to what i wanted.
my plans are: a full strip down (bar engine re-build as it runs too well to touch), clean, re-paint and re-build along the style of a "cafe racer" or 1960's-70's race bike. i won't be riding it on the road, so it'll be a lightweight race looking unit. when it's done, i'm hoping to put it on the back of my Wasp for car shows/displays for some added interest, or put it in a trailer behind the Wasp or GT, to have that "tow car going to a race meeting in the 60's" look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:05 am 

I have one :)
1980 Yamaha XS250, alloy 5-spoke wheels, drum brakes, 6-speed, twin exhausts etc
It'd been parked under a peppercorn tree for around 10 years when I got it, so it's fairly rough. The only thing stopping it from running atm is the carbs, which need rebuilding due to cracked diaphragms, and coils which are fucked :P
It's got shit paint, a dented tank, a couple of broken indicator stalks, missing side guards, missing mirrors and a completely fucked rear plastic seat jigger, other than that it's ok.
Plans are a full resto and daily it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:22 am 

I have had somewhere around 50+ Motorcycles in my life. Here are a few. I'll try and dig up more of the Japanese Classics I've had. :wink:

Hodaka Ace100. Sold

XR400R set up for street. Sold

550 Zephyr. Sold

DRZ400SM. Sold

1972 Norton. Current project

FJR1300. Current rider

KLR650 current Dual Sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:28 am 

Hashiriya wrote:
Norton Rotaries are, IMO, the coolest bikes in the entire world.

I wish I could find a museum like that. Super cool.

If you come through Richmond sometime check out Velocity Motorcycles. It's not a Musuem, but close to it.
http://www.velocityvintage.com/VintageBikes.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:19 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Though not strictly a nostalgic (but perhaps close in its own right these days), the Suzuki SW-1 always strikes me as a stylish 250cc (Akiba on Sunday):

Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I wonder if these will ever be considered classics...

Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:21 pm 

^^
I imagine that someday, that will be as big an institution, design-wise, as boso bikes are today.

I really want to sell the Ruckus, buy a Reflex, and build a crazy maxi-scoot, but parts are *so* much harder to find.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:14 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Hashiriya wrote:
I really want to sell the Ruckus, buy a Reflex, and build a crazy maxi-scoot, but parts are *so* much harder to find.

There are a few willing exporters of this stuff: http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=fusion+%E3%83%95%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A7%E3%83%B3&auccat=26318&aq=0&oq=&ei=UTF-8&tab_ex=commerce

Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:43 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I had a 1985/6 Suzuki GSX-S 250 that I always thought had been modified before I got it. Either it had a sleeper 400cc engine swap or someone had played with it as it went way way way way way harder than any 250 should have. The only thing was that it was cantankerous, suzuki electrics were difficult and a bit iffy at the best of times. I ended up re-wiring the bike from scratch, newly wound stator, new this, new that. I got t-boned by a car, lost interest in it after I patched it up and sold it for a thousand bucks.
It was a great little bike, all the guys at work in the office ride, I've been looking around for a Honda CB to mod into a cafe racer but I'm holding off until I finish the wagon.

I saw a cool old Honda bike in Thailand that had big fairings on it, like a cross between what Kuroneko has posted below (the Suzuki SW-1) and an Indian. Sadly I walked back a few days later to try and find it - no luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm 

Here are a couple of stuff I've had over the years:

KZ650 Steetfighter with ZX7r front and rear.

NT650 Hawk with F2 front and VFR rear. TB pipes 900rr shocks.

FZR600 all stock:

$100 Seca:

My nekid DiO:

I'll post more when I find my other stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:10 pm 

migz808 wrote:
Here are a couple of stuff I've had over the years:

KZ650 Steetfighter with ZX7r front and rear.

Thats freaking awesome! Never thought a Z650 could look that good.

Well Aussies, anyone spot me a restorer YZ490H to K and I'll be a grateful man, I want to go pre-85 MX racing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:32 pm 

I had a YZ490, it was an '82 model. 'tis long gone now though :(

I gave up on the XS250, cbf finding bits. So now I have a '79 Suzuki GS550. Needs a good wash, but at least it runs. Sort of. The carbies are full of gunk because the last owner used two-stroke fuel to move it up a hill then let it sit in a shed for 10 years.......
The last owner being my dad.
It's a 580-ish cc 4-cylinder. It's 580-ish because my uncle (who was the first owner) had it bored. It's also got a 4-1 exhaust.

EDIT: Have a shitty pic courtesy of my phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:50 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

nice! that's got loads of potential.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:57 pm 

My first Japanese vehicle after a 10 yr hiatus (1st vehicle was an old Nissan Hardbody, then 10 years of German cars) was the '79 CB650 I bought last summer. I use it as my daily, and have now added a '74 CB200 project bike--with a few ticks under 3,000 miles! (Looking to sell the 650 if anyone's interested... want to build a naked early Gold Wing to replace it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 am 

my 81 xs650.

Last edited by jamesgs4 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:26 am 

I'm glad this thread is still going. :D

Cub is giving me problems. It starts/runs fine with a fresh plug, but it will foul a plug in like 4-5 MINUTES. Absolutely black.

I have NO idea how to tell if it's oil or just running rich.

If I take the head off, will I be able to tell? The top of the piston will be black regardless of the cause though, yes?

I tried messing with the tuning to fix it and it didn't do anything, but that doesn't mean it isn't the problem. I don't know what I'm doing.

I really want this thing running for this summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm 

i have a few bikes kicking around

suzuki GT750 water buffalo that i cafe'd out

norton F1

and somewhere around here...

oh yes, here it is.

cl450

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:39 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I've been on the hunt for something to turn into a cafe racer or bobber as I'm over my Kawasaki GTR.

Anyone in Melbourne seen a run down Honda CB or similar?

Brought to you by me as I search Alta Vista for Geocities webpages using Netscape Navigator while listening to Jam & Spoon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:47 pm 

Hashiriya wrote:
Cub is giving me problems. It starts/runs fine with a fresh plug, but it will foul a plug in like 4-5 MINUTES. Absolutely black.

I have NO idea how to tell if it's oil or just running rich.

Pull it out while it's still "wet". Set it on the table. 5 minutes later if it's still wet, it's oil. Dry to the touch? Fuel. And you should be able to give it a good strong sniff and tell.

Or wipe it on a white cloth while wet. You'll instantly know if it's fuel or oil. 8)

Quote:
If I take the head off, will I be able to tell? The top of the piston will be black regardless of the cause though, yes?

What's coming out of the tail pipe? Black is fuel, grey is oil.

Too much fuel? The cylinder will likely be clean. Very clean.

Too much oil? Nasty.

Also, if you can, get a good strong sniff of the oil in the crankcase. It it's getting too much fuel in the cylinder, the oil in the crankcase will have the very strong smell of gasoline. :td:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 59 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next