#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:15 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 12   [ 231 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: The Bellet of the ball!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:49 am 

So this story actually starts with, "Once upon a time... in October of 2009", haha.

I had just moved to Nagoya and my buddy took me to a shop called Classic Car Nagoya. They had tons of cool old cars, one of which is the Bellet pictured below.

I then moved places, bought a GC10 Skyline and an LT23 Mitsubishi (check the Mitsu out here: viewtopic.php?t=8589&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 )

I went back to Classic Car Nagoya in February of 2010 (right after I found the Mitsubishi) and sure enough that Bellett was still there, only moved over one spot, haha.

I since started using Classic Car Nagoya to help me hunt down parts for my Mitsubishi (finding parts for a 1967 2 stroke kei jidosha aint easy, haha). So on one trip back trip for parts I took another look out back and sure enough, there was the Bellett, still sitting there, looking sad.

So I head in and while talking about brake parts for the Mitsubishi, on a whim, I ask about the Bellet. They say it's for sale for 4 grand, but that I might be able to talk the Shacho (boss) down a bit. So, I hem and haw and say "Well, to be honest, I have a GC10 in my garage that is completely rusted out..."
The dude perks up and says "If you want to trade it in on the Bellett, we could do that." Now its my turn to perk up. Not because I don't want a Skyline, but because if I restored just the body (not the interior, engine, or anything else, but just the body) on the Skyline it would be approximately 10 grand. I could probably restore that Bellett in it's entirety for 10 grand.

So after some negotiation, we settle on a price (The GC10 plus all its rusty parts and 2 grand for the Bellett). I say deal and get the Skyline all prepped and ready.

Here's the Skyline ready for them to come take her away.

Then, the new hotness shows up!

This car is surprisingly clean! Very little rust to speak of. Here she is getting unloaded.

And safely in her new home!

Wave goodbye to Skyline!

Hooked the battery up and fired up the headlights. That's six lights hanging off the front of this car!

It's a 1.8 liter SOHC engine (no DOHC love for me, but I'm still happy as can be, haha). After some work we actually got her to fire up, but one of the carbs has a stuck or sunk float and was spewing fuel everywhere! Aside from that, the engine sounded fantastic!

Picture of the gummed up carbs.

The interior is remarkably clean! Very little needs to be replaced, just some cleaning and it'll be like new!

Back seats are extremely clean as well!

A slightly old picture of the dash.

And the speedometer that fits in that massive hole. Yes, that reads 220 kph, a little optimistic I think, haha!

The center console just looks so awesome.

A bad shot of the underside, it rocks IRS with a transverse leaf spring, pretty cool stuff!

All settled in!

My garage is cool!

Definitely expect more on this, summer is coming so I will be out there just about every night tearing it completely down, cleaning up the small amount of rust and prepping for paint! She's going to get a full restoration!

Cheers
David

Last edited by Nakazoto on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 am 

Nice Isuzu man!Cool pics too.And why you remove Skyline? :? I mean you could sell it to someone :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:13 am 
Administrator

i think you (correction: i know you) made out like a bandit on that deal :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:24 am 

Dave,

Check it out, the wheels in the first picture are different than those in the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:16 pm 

Did you get the fender mirrors with it? If not, Mooneyes sells that same mirror cheap. :tu:

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/shop/product ... ts_id=1336

Very cool Bellett, and I'm very jealous. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:52 pm 

Can't wait to see the end result on the Bellet after following your 360 build. It's in good hands.

Are you planning to change the colour or leave it the same colour ( I'm a big fan of them orange so I'm hoping you go orange).

Nath

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 am 

Nice Trade !!! I'm sure you are going to love this project, The only thing I hate about it is finding parts, but that's the fun part I guess.

By the way, you got a GT-R speedometer, I thought the GT goes up to 180 but I might be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:18 am 

that is sexy, i loved the other car you built and followed that thread to see what was happening. Being a bellett owner too i will definately follow your thread on this sexy beast!
No offence to those that like the orange ones, please keep this one blue they all seem to be orange now!
would be great to see you on http://bellett.net/ with it too!

Last edited by mrflibbles on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:38 am 

I say keep it the original color, too. nothing wrong with blue.
Please give us LOTS of details on this build. I would love to know more about the bellett, and a restoration is a great way to learn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:47 am 
Mild Cam

I'm so excited to see one of these built up. I think you were in a bit over your head with that Skyline - not saying you couldn't have fixed it, just saying that that car needed EVERYTHING! It would have taken years.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject: Re: Oh sweet Bellett, how I love that you're mine!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:50 am 

Nakazoto wrote:

Hooked the battery up and fired up the headlights. That's six lights hanging off the front of this car!

this picture is beautiful!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 am 

I can't wait to see more of this car. Love the shape, have never seen any restoration threads on a Bellett before.

Post subject: Re: Oh sweet Bellett, how I love that you're mine!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:28 am 

Car looks in amazing condition. When was the last registered date?

And great come up on the C10 trade. Good ole American wheeling and dealing right there. :tu:

Nakazoto wrote:
.. After some work we actually got her to fire up, but one of the carbs has a stuck or sunk float and was spewing fuel everywhere! Aside from that, the engine sounded fantastic!

Picture of the gummed up carbs.

SU's... :roll: Never fail to always fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 pm 

Lucky man. I haven't seen a Bellet in a long long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:00 am 

Thanks everyone for the comments!
I think I'm already in love with this car, haha. I thought the suspension was identical to a C2 or C3 corvette at first (double wishbone front, leaf rear), but upon further inspection the rear is actually coil with shock absorbers, it just uses the lateral leaf spring as a sway bar! I can't wait to let this thing loose on a track for a spirited drive one day, haha!

Ya, I think I could have done the C10, but to do it right it would have cost me more than it would be to buy one already restored. Since I had no really emotional attachment to the car it wasn't really worth the effort. I kind of miss the opportunity to learn some body work, but I'll get that chance on my Mitsubishi soon enough (updates coming on that one soon (double parenthesis, I feel like I'm programming, hah; no I didn't crash it, haha, just fixing the mismatched paint on it)).

I unfortunately didn't get the mirrors with it, but if I can't find any for cheap here I'll definitely hit up Mooneyes! Thanks Datsunfreak!

Alright, on with the updates!
A friend of mine from work came over this weekend and he'd never worked on a car before in his life, but was keen on learning something. So, naturally I gave him the tools, kept a watchful eye and a little bit of direction and let him go to town in dismantling the front. He had a blast and didn't break anything (the one thing that broke, I broke, haha).

First thing we did was take the carbs off (he had fun trying to get to the bolts on the bottom, hehe).

Gonna have to clean that intake manifold.

The fog lights are aftermarket items (and had the worst hack job wiring I'd ever seen). So we started pulling all the fog light associated wiring out. That involved this awesome old relay. I think these old electronic bits are just so cool!

Then we pulled the headlight relay off as well. This is the original relay so it was interesting to see how different it was from the aftermarket one used to control the fog lights.

Hood latch off.

Throttle linkage and main battery cable.

The biggest, coolest factory radiator overflow tank ever, haha!

Who's that ugly mug holding my radiator?

Fog lights and alternator off.

And the engine bay when we left it!

We both had a blast! Keep posted for more updates coming soon!
Thanks again everyone for the comments!
Cheers
Daivd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:30 pm 
Mild Cam

I love SUs! HATERS GON HATE

Nice progress so far. Looks like your Mitsu all over again! Make sure to get us some pictures of that neat suspension setup.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:20 pm 

It's great that you are giving someone wrenching experience!! They might develop a knack for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm 

Man, this is amazing!

I thought it would be sad to see the Hakosuka go, but somehow, the Bellet you received in the trade seems to be a prettier car (and rarer!), and it looks like it is at ease in your garage, hehe. I'm probably changing my tastes; liking an Isuzu more than a Nissan. :P

You don't know how much I love Isuzus! They are very underrated but their styling was always nice, not to mention their engines were good. And speaking of which, I think that the SOHC engine is pretty cool! I mean, it's a nice change from the Bellet GT-Rs with the DOHC engines. Is that a G180Z? I'm curious to know.

I loved following your Mitsubishi's thread, so I know that you will do a great job to restore this beauty. I wish you the best of the luck for your project! I'm very anxious! :D

P.S. Keep it in that color! Blue looks sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:28 am 

killua...
it's a G180SS.
the G180W is a twin cam
the G180Z was a Gemini SOHC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:48 pm 

1600GT wrote:
killua...
it's a G180SS.
the G180W is a twin cam
the G180Z was a Gemini SOHC.

Thanks. There doesn't seem to be too much info about those engines judging from what I searched.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 12   [ 231 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next