#
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Manual gearbox research...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm 

Howdy all. looking for gearboxes that are ex longitudinal fe/fwd cars...

It seems according to a US sports box maker, that most us/europe engines spin anti-clockwise, where japanese engines tend towards clockwise rotation.

so now need a manual box including transaxle for my mid-engined Diamante race-car

what gearbox is in your tercel?

PS Diamante is now ME/RWD longitudinal ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm 

Better to start your own topic than hijack someone else's. :wink:

The first-gen Tercel does have a longitudinal engine placement. :tu:

Post subject: Re: Manual gearbox research...
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:17 pm 

007Snoopy wrote:
It seems according to a US sports box maker, that most us/europe engines spin anti-clockwise, where japanese engines tend towards clockwise rotation.

And this is incorrect. Practically every engine ever made spins clockwise. To my knowledge, the only mass-produced engines that spin anti-clockwise are most of the FWD Honda engines.

Post subject: okaaay lol
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
007Snoopy wrote:

And this is incorrect. Practically every engine ever made spins clockwise. To my knowledge, the only mass-produced engines that spin anti-clockwise are most of the FWD Honda engines.

Okay, hence my confusion DF...
this from the GT40s forums Scott at Advanced Automotion in the US (rebuilders of 01e, 01x gearboxes plus tons of other stuff... )

"You have received a new private message at GT40s forum from advancedautomotion, entitled "Re: 6g72 suitable transaxle help needed".

This is the message that was sent:
Yes most if not all European and American cars used anti-clockwise rotation engines. The only American engines that spin clockwise are used in twin engine boats, or are Japanese engines used in American cars. "

Post subject: as for hijacking
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm 

sorry, but last post was 2009 so assumed the thread was mostly done with, but the people that seemed best able to help were right there lol

thanks for the thread move :)

Post subject: Re: okaaay lol
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:41 pm 

007Snoopy wrote:
This is the message that was sent:
Yes most if not all European and American cars used anti-clockwise rotation engines. The only American engines that spin clockwise are used in twin engine boats, or are Japanese engines used in American cars. "

Never has anyone been more wrong. 8)

Post subject: so where to from here...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 pm 

[facing the timing belt the engine rotates towards the fron of the car - clockwise]

I was originally looking at a transaxle from a renault 25V turbo (V6 turbo with 151Kw/202.5Hp)
or an 01x from advanced automotion but the cost is getting up there, i have since located a subaru turbo box (180+Hp rated) from a turbo 4wd car, which i could cap the rear wheel drive output and just use the transaxle bits, as i have spun the engine longitudinally, and ahem, put where the backseat used to be ;) i have plenty of space through the cut-out boot/spare wheel hold space. fuel-tank is race-spec mounted where engine used to be, I should also mention this is a purpose built racecar for amateur/club racing.

Anyother ideas on transaxles out here? parts to be sourced from within New Zealand needs lsd diff and suit ME/RWD + be manual and Reverse cannot be 'push down' style of selection.

and before those here that ask Q) why... A) Because the car was a spare one... and i just wanted to :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:01 pm 

Why not a FWD Subaru trans? Nothing to cap off, and it's shorter/lighter.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]