#
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Have you ever stopped to help someone on the road??
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:02 am 

If I see someone along side the road, and I have time to stop and offer help I will. I usually assess the situation before I get out though, just in case.

So it's about 11pm and I'm driving home, and I see a car on the side of the road with it's hazards on. It's at a pretty odd angle. As I see it I'm already turning off the road onto another street, but I decide to go back and see if they need help, it is thanksgiving day on a nearly deserted road at near midnight. I turn around, I see a wheel on the side walk. About 100 yards up front is the car.

I pull up next to the car, it's right side is sitting really low. I roll down the passenger window and and the lady rolls down her's. I ask, "Do you need some help??" She replies, "I have no idea what happened." I don't think she even got out of the car. I calmly say back to her, "It looks like your wheel fell off." She gives a blank stare. So I ask again, "Do you need some help putting a spare on??" "No, my boyfriend lives nearby but he's not answering his phone." "Are you sure??" "Yeah, I think I can get ahold of him." I try not to laugh, but she's pretty out of it. I bid her good night, and turned around hoping she didn't see me trying not to smile.

It was a newer Mazda 3. I think she just had snow tires put on or something because it just snowed here. She must have made it pretty far without a wheel, because it was really far away from her car. Even before that she must have felt the vibration of the loose wheel. I wonder how much damage she did... LOL...

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:24 pm 

WOW, talk about situational awareness...

Good on you for trying to help the strange stoned girl. :lol:

Cannondale R1000 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 am 

It wasn't exactly on the side of the road...rather in an Autozone parking lot. Started with a broken brake master in a '04 mazda tribute (?)...11 hours later I finished putting in a new alternator. That was my good deed for the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 pm 

A while ago I was at a Petrol Station and a ladies car wasn't starting. I always carry leads with and I offered to give her a boost. She was most grateful and we both went on our way.

Several weeks later I was trying to start my car out front of my own place and to no avail, battery was just on it's way out. I had the bonnet open and then a car pulls up. Offers assistance because "someone helped me out a wee while ago so I figured I would do the same"

Turns out that someone was me. I'd cut my hair and so she didn't recognise me at first :lol: I didn't recognise her really at all, I barely pay attention to people. I remembered her car but she was in a different one this time, as was I.

Generally though, yeah, I help out. I used to be a tow truck driver and also worked for roadside assist, essentially the call-out guys for new cars, insurance things, etc. So am used to doing it anyway, just carried on doing it without being paid :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:11 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Sure... I think a good deed will be rewarded, someday.

When I had my 87 Mazda 626LX hatchback( gee, don't see any of those around anymore)... I was driving down the road and saw this kid on the side, under the hood of his Jetta. I pulled over and asked what was wrong, and he said his car just sputtered. I looked around for him... and noticed his alternator belt snapped in two. So I jumped started his car for him... we had to do this every few miles(like 5 times), because the alt couldn't hold a good charge without the belt. This kid lived pretty far too. lol

He offered to pay me,when we finally got the Jetta to his house, but I told him to put it toward fixing his car.

Now, on the flip side... yesterday when I was coming off the highway exit, there was some kind of Korean car(Hyundai or Kia??) at the top of the offramp. It was smashed against the guardrail... and the dude was still sitting in it. He looked like he was dazed or drunk. The car was steaming pretty good. I noticed a few people walking towards the guy's car.

I woulda stopped, but I had an appointment to go to... plus my car's not insured. lol So not gonna get my self in trouble for helping a stranger... or a possible drunk driver, for that matter. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:33 pm 
Mild Cam

KresSlyda180 wrote:
I woulda stopped, but I had an appointment to go to... plus my car's not insured. lol So not gonna get my self in trouble for helping a stranger... or a possible drunk driver, for that matter. :?

Go get insured, dude. Minimum coverage. Anything. Trust me, it's not good to get caught without insurance...

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:41 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Camshaft wrote:
KresSlyda180 wrote:

Go get insured, dude. Minimum coverage. Anything. Trust me, it's not good to get caught without insurance...

You're exactly right, Camshaft. I just gotta pay an old excise tax and 2 parking tickets... all dating back to 1997, and I can insure it.

I only use the car to go to my therapist appointments, but yeah, that is no excuse. Why risk another suspension and also, why chance getting my S12 impounded? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:23 pm 
Mild Cam

KresSlyda180 wrote:
Camshaft wrote:
KresSlyda180 wrote:

You're exactly right, Camshaft. I just gotta pay an old excise tax and 2 parking tickets... all dating back to 1997, and I can insure it.

I only use the car to go to my therapist appointments, but yeah, that is no excuse. Why risk another suspension and also, why chance getting my S12 impounded? :(

No worries. Let me know when you're ready and I might be able to put you in touch with someone who could help. :)

1988 Mazda RX-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:14 am 
JNC Fanatic

Camshaft wrote:
KresSlyda180 wrote:
Camshaft wrote:
KresSlyda180 wrote:

No worries. Let me know when you're ready and I might be able to put you in touch with someone who could help. :)

Thanks. Is your friend a lawyer or insurance agent? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:16 pm 
Mild Cam

KresSlyda180 wrote:
Camshaft wrote:
KresSlyda180 wrote:
Camshaft wrote:
KresSlyda180 wrote:

Thanks. Is your friend a lawyer or insurance agent? :)

I work for an insurance company, and I have a lot of friends here. :D

1988 Mazda RX-7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm 

This topic reminded me of a time when I did stop to help someone. It was getting late, and a guy was walking up the off ramp and it looked like we were ready for a downpour. So I stopped and asked if he needed help, and took him to the gas station. The station didn't have a gas can, so I told him, "I only live a couple blocks away, I'll get mine". I took a lot of back roads just in case, then got my can and took him back to the station, and then to his car. I only had a small can available so he didn't think a gallon was enough, and I took him back for another gallon. That didn't work either and then I looked as his gas gauge and it was on 1/4, so I told him I didn't think he was out of gas.

He only lived a half mile away, so I gave him a lift home. Yeah, I know, I went throug a lot for this guy, but people have helped me before so it was my turn. But then the guy starts acting like I'm looking for a new best friend... he wants to invite me to his house for a barbecue, he wants to call and let me know when he can pay me back (I didn't give him any money) and he kept going on about getting together, wanted me to meet his family, asked me if I wanted to go to his church, etc. Damn, it started to make me regret helping him. I have enough friends, I just felt like helping. But now it's been a few months... he never invited me to a barbecue, thankfully.

I guess it could have gone the other way... he could have been a bad guy, but still - wasn't trying to find a new BFF! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:26 am 

Lol sounds a bit gay, with meeting the family and stuff.

Never saw someone that needed help with mechanical problems, but some people really do need directions with parking. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:54 am 

haha, yeah, kinda freaked me out a little. I mean, if someone stopped to help me I wouldn't be inviting him to meet the wife and kids... if I had a wife and kids, that is. I don't mind helping someone, but let's not make it a regular thing. Well, unless she's cute and single... lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:08 pm 

I've done this a couple times, but since living in Detroit I have not with exception of #2.

First, I was driving from a shift at one restaurant to a shift at another and had about an hour inbetween. It was summer and I was wearing black pants. Yuck. So I pull out, about a block away from work and hear someone yelling at me. It's a guy in a red '84 GTI who gave me a radio a month or two prior. His gas line was leaking like a sieve, so I took him to Autozone, he got his parts and I watched to make sure it would kinda work.

Second, I wrote a big long post about this, but actually I'd better not give too many details. :lol:

Basically we were "cruising" and after I left my friend told me another guy had crashed and I immediately went back to make sure everything was alright. (This other guy had completely f***ed his car.) But since i was pretty sure some lady heroically read my bosozoku style bent up license plate, we had to split.

Harrowing night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 am 

People here are crazy, you never know if it's someone in need or someone who's going to murder/rob you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 am 

You're right, there. A friend of mine saw a couple kids fighting in the street and stopped to help. One kid ran when he stopped and the other asked if he could get in the car. My friend kept the doors locked and called 911, and just talked to the kid with his window partially down.

The kid "being beaten" didn't want him to make the call, and within a minute he signalled to the other kid (and a couple others that were hiding) that he was calling the police and all of them ran off.

Pretty sad that it's come to this... you have to fear for your own safety before you can worry about someone else's these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:54 pm 

A few months ago I was picking a 4Runner up with my friend and some guy asked if he can get a boost. His car was a few blocks down. And I had my booster pack with me. idk, I have a thing for helping people in need. So I had him hop in with me and drove almost 15 blocks to give him a boost.

He could have just killed me, but I guess it was an alright situation.

Back during the day after Xmas storm we had here, I helped a guy and his worker for 3 hours dig his truck from in front of my house all the way to the main road. It was like A block and a half but the truck kept getting stuck. Didnt take any payment or anything. I just hope karma is on my side. My feet were FREEZING could barely feel them when I was done.

- 1985 Toyota Celica GTS Convertible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:14 pm 

Sometimes I do. Yesterday I saw a CRV stuck in a deep gutter, I had my dad's Hilux at the time so I towed it out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:39 pm 

I was TransamBandit when he gave that guy a jump.
Didnt really think things through there.

But yea, I was in Cincinatti for work related duties a while back
On the highway we saw some lady slide her Accord off the road into the grass.
Stopped, helped her get out & she thanked us

A day later I crashed that rental car I was driving into a guard rail...
I though karma was supposed to be returned. LOL

Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:46 pm 

Ha, forgot I posted this here. Here's another story...

Back in 08, when we suddenly got 2-3 inches of snow. I was coming home from a Christmas party about 45 miles away, which I made it there and back... without chains, on the interstate which has some steep hills and dangerous downhill curves. Took forever, but it wasn't so bad... for me.

On the way back, this VW passed me, and about 30 seconds after passing me spins across all lanes and bounces into a small ditch.

I'm not in a hurry, so I pull over to help. Turns out to be a girl, who says she made it all the way from Seattle without spinning till now. So I'm trying to push, but the car is lowered with 17's and low pro z rated tires. I try to drive it out by rocking, but it's a gay automatic.

Eventually some other guy in a truck pulls over to help, and as he's getting out of the car I see a car spinning across all three lanes!! I'm quite sure that everyone was paying attention to the car stuck in the ditch, slowing down while drivers behind them weren't paying attention.

I didn't see what happened to that spinning car after that because my attention was then focused on a semi truck trying to brake for all the noobs in front of him and his rear trailer starting to whip out on him... towards my wife in the car on the side of the interstate. I guess the traffic had slowed to see the "action".

Fortunately the semi gets it under control, and I turn back and the spinning car is gone. Me and the guy easily push the car out, and the girl waves and says thank you as she's driving off.

All the reader boards said chains required, but I wasn't worried about spinning out. I was going about 30mph on the interstate, since I had no chains or studded tires. While I see these dumbasses flypast me at 45+ just cuz they're driving a 4wd. I was worried about these fools spinning out in front of me, or into me. Noobs!!

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 23 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next