Hello everyone this is my 1986 Mighty Max/D-50. I got her for $400, was going to trade the seller my PS3 for it but for some reason it didn't work on his TV. It had 2.6 g54b, 5 speed, no AC, no radio and the interior is about gutted. When I got it both doors and fenders were rusted really bad, but lucky there is this guy in Winston that has a lot full of Arrows, Mighty Max, and D-50s. I got both doors, both fenders and valance for $100. The bed of the truck is about gone, I'm thinking about replacing it entirely or just patching it up. It also came with this ugly homemade rear bumper that is coming off soon as I hit the pull a part. Right now I'm fighting the rust, luckly 99% of the rust on the cab is surface rust. I spent yesterday evening removing rust from the roof and priming it. Im painting the truck white, using the $50 paint job. I've seen the results on other cars and they came out great. I did a test on the hood in green and I was happy with the results.
It runs great the g54b sound great, but it needs a carb or it needs to be adjusted. But the g54b is coming out this July and in its will be a 4g67 or 4g61. There are couple of junkyards that have a bunch of these engine for about $350-$400 with less than 100k on them. I know your prolly asking yourself why didn't I get a 4G63 and answer is price. It seem the junkyards know about the 4G63, but Hyundia Elantra's 4g67 and 4g61 are not that well known. Anyways I got a 4g67 engine harness and ECU from the pull a part for $40. The car I got it from looked clean and pull a part only charges $75 for a engine but I dont wanna rick getting a trashed engine. I have everything I need for the swap except the engine and the mounts.
The transmission is garbage, 1st and 2nd gear are done lol. I have to shift into 3rd to get her really moving. Luckily it came with a extra tranny, that has a short block pattern. And when I first got her the shifter came off while driving lol. I go to shift gears and the shifter comes off. I mean completely off. I was holding it up in my hand, trying to find somewhere to park. When I go and fix it , I see that shifter was been held down by wood screws and the plastic things they use to seat screws into drywall. I had to re-tap the holes and install the right screws lol.