on the weekend i took a break from my own car and worked on Nick's car for the day. can't be bothered explaining as i normally do, but the pictures should do the trick
edit - i'm going to explain what i've done just as a record for me
So Nick asked me some months ago to start to pull apart the plug so he could fix the broken insulation on the wire. Using a small screwdriver set, i popped the tabs and pulled the wiring from the plug
as you can see, the insulation has broken exposing the raw wire. This was the same for all wires into the plug.
the rubber grommet acts as a water resistance barrier. Commonplace on plugs in the engine bay. I pried open the retention tabs to release the grommet.
and pushed the grommet back along the wire. At this stage, I closed the tabs back so I could slip the heatshrink onto the wire
i then bent the wire 90 degrees and used a heat gun to shrink the heatshrink over the broken insulation.
then replaced the grommet, closing the retention tabs. its a tight squeeze with more insulation under the grommet
as you can see, all need repairing.
and all done
i pushed the wires/connectors back into place, ensuring that the metal lug clicked into place. as the grommet was thicker due to extra insulation, i used the jewellers screwdriver to force the grommet into place in the hole. always good when there is a satisfying click
nick was starting to mount the ecu, relays and fusebox. he had to cut the mounting tabs on the relays as he has relay holders for mounting. side cutters for the quick win.
next job was the coil loom. this came from an RB/holden setup (Nick can confirm) and we were having trouble tracing wires back to the ignitor, so I decided to strip it down to be able to trace wires back more easily
the person who nick got the loom and ignitor had replaced broken plugs previously, and subsequently soldered the new plugs on. UGH! Joints were not insulated properly, this having corossion on the wire and one of the solder joints had broken apart. If we were to fire up teh car, then tracing that issue would have been one of the last things we would have inspected. Lucky that I exposed the loom and its crap.
as you can see, insulation that has dried out and broken, exposing the wire.
all loom tape and insulation off. meassy job!
i like to use crimps when joining wire. Stronger and better electrical connection than solder.
4 plugs were replaced by the previous person, so 12 wires to crimp up. wires to particular coils were labelled 1-6. zip tied to ensure that I knew where everything should be going.
crimped up ready to insulate
smooth! everything a lot better now
takes a little while to do the job right, but at least we know that when the engine starts, that this is not a weak point if we need to troubleshoot.
roughly finished. I noticed that the two original plugs were broken and these will have to be replaced using the same methods as per above.
Once that is done, then i can go around with loom tape and some split corrugated plastic cover and that is one job done and dusted.