Updates for the new year.
I freaked out working on the car a few weeks ago...... redbacks and other spiders.... hate the suckers. People fumigate dwellings, I fumigated all cavities of the car. Last thing I need is a nasty surprise, me freak out and knock my head under the car ! And fixing my other stocky guard ... thanks for your honesty J/B and the call back from your OS trip..... too bloody late now
Stripping it... not rusty at least...
Spoke to Dennis on the phone, the Oracle of all things Mazda, welded up non factory holes. Pic 2 Boot seam sealed and epoxied... Akzo - Lesonal EP440. Despite efforts to clean out blast grit, the stuff keeps reappearing even after spending a good 4 hours getting everything spotless. I suspect it'll be dropping out of the seams for years. That is one down side to blasting and one + to dipping.
Sanded and resprayed affected areas... much better. Scuffing boot floor for colour in Pic 2. New rear bar brackets, thanks Tricky Rick.
And a few more...
Cowl area 100% rust free even at the seams where firewall joins. Even the factory seam sealer still perfect 37 years later. Area has been cleaned and epoxied for extra protection with a modern product. Pic 2 this is the area directly behind the chassis number.... 100% untouched and genuine Rx3 right down to the factory sealer.
Removing the rear end so I can lift it up onto the rotisserie. The front pivot was jammed, spent 4 hours before I chopped through the pivot. The nolathane bushes were'nt going to give in. A days frustration.
U bolts off... easy ! Pic 2 I asked some time ago regarding 808 and 10a Rx3 housings.... I noticed the complete 808 rear end I bought has different hydraulic points. Probably an early late model difference.... no idea really unless I want to try and find the missing bits in dozens of boxes I have.
Another general shot showing differences. Pic 2 housing is out.
Finishing off some welding on the rotator rotisserie arm. Total cost of rotisserie was approx 320 in steel + some cutting disks.
Some mechanical strength to the pivot point rather than just but weld the pivot. The 2 steels are different compositions, so was probably a good idea.
I ran a flap disk over the weld and then weld another box section over the top for the rotator arm to slide and adjust. Pic 2 car on rotisserie, lifted it up on my own. Rx3's are pretty light with nothing in them.
Finishing off some plug welding on the left quarter underside... Pic 2 opposite leaf was stuck as well....
Removing heat shield... Pic 2, ended up chopping pivot bolt, gave up trying to get it off.
The sucker is off......finally. Those springs weigh as much as the shell !
Cleaning the underside, much easier with the car on the stand. Pic 2 removing the welded non factory muffler stop... nothing is suppose to be there.
No rust at all which is a first, almost disappointed
Factory sealer in pretty good condition.
Fixing the guard flare... much faster this time around.
Fixing the front edge where they get cut for big wheels. I cut up Phils el crappo repro panel.... sort of close in shape is all I'll say, the panel is good for NOTHING
and I wasnt going to cut up another OEM one rusted or not. Turned out OK.....
Polyester sprayed the quarter, photo taken immediately after spraying. First run was disastrous, had the poly started to harden in the gun despite mixing the prescribed 100:5 with hardener. 20min pot must have been shortened to about 5 minutes
with yesterdays heat in the garage. Quickly cleaned out gun before it went rock hard and added 85% the prescribed hardener 2nd time round. Much better ! Can be blocked same day but will leave it a week then will block the quarter, sill and jam and epoxy all in one go. For Amateurs out there, I wear a complete fresh air fed space suit when doing this stuff. Carbon masks are crap and will probably be ineffective in 10/15min unless your spraying in a booth which continuously changes the air.
Ive got more which I'll put up another time..... Im yet to decide how Im going to finish the underside, whether to paint it body colour of give it a fresh coat of factory tinted primer.... I think I'll leave the stone guard areas (floor) black and do the rest body colour given the amount of paint I have. Also working on fitting the new gearbox mounts, finishing off the front guard and completing the underside sometime soon. Shell is almost complete ready for painting stages.