#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: Flooding in Queensland
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:02 am 

any JNC member in the flood areas in Queensland ?

i've seen the news footages. My heart goes out for you guys out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:04 am 
Mild Cam

Same here. I hope the waters subside soon...it looks terrible from what I've seen. I can't even begin to imagine.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:39 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Hey gang,

Yeah, biblical water, I've never seen water like it. I live upstream of the two big dams above Brisbane(Wivenhoe and Somerset), so they were closing/slowing them to try and save the Brisbane river from getting any higher. Somerset dam was 8 metres higher than it's normal capacity or about 175%.

I was flooded out so I got stuck in Brisbane. I went out yesterday to help in a suburb called Yeronga which is right on the river. It truly looked liked a warzone. The mud was a foot deep everywhere and through everything. The water was over the roof of a lot of the houses in the area I was in, you just don't know what to say to people who lost everything. I'm part of the rural fire brigade so we'll be going down to Brisbane tomorrow again to help. Won't be any fires for a while!

I have a couple of mates that live a Murphy's creek where the wave of water went through, haven't been able to contact them yet so I'm praying that they are ok and somewhere safe.

I talked to a friend who lives in Toowoomba where all those major flood/waves in all the news is. He said it was the scariest thing he's ever seen. He works not far from the drains you saw on the news. He said in the time in needed to run 15 metres to his car and try and move it, the water went from ankle deep to his car floating away so he jumped for his life. Still hasn't found the car yet!!

I think I used up all my luck this year already as I found out the place I moved from recently went about 4 foot under water, meaning the entire fleet of JNC's would have gone under

My thoughts go out to everyone who was and is effected. Queenslander!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 pm 

I was wondering how you fared.......

I have family still stranded (I grew up in QLD), one is going back in today, the other is stranded on their property north of Toowoomba and now out of essential medication (Toowoomba was that video footage that went viral with the cars being thrown around in the water). A third was flooded in Rockhampton (this happened before the new year) and she still has water in her house. That's only 3 of tens of thousands and there are so many worse off. I hope our JNC'ers have stayed safe from this disaster. It's so great to see the thousands of volunteers- many who are still flooded out and cannot get back home - helping total strangers get back on their feet and clean out their houses.

For you non- aussies, the QLD floods cover the same area as the entire state of Texas, or France and Germany combined

Closer to home here in Victoria we have had flooding in the west and just this morning many towns in northern Victoria are on alert with a third of the state flood affected , whilst on the western coast of Australia there have been bushfires........ and this is summer!

We have tons of jnc'ers in QLD, so I hope they are all safe and well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 am 

I heard there is bad situation I hope everything will be fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:13 am 
JNC Fanatic

Yeah GBG, old mother nature is pulling out all the aces this summer. We've just had a hail storm and another 70mm of rain to go on the top of the 800mm of rain we've had in the last fortnight - that's tropical Qld water, not 90 minutes from Brisbane!

I've been out help most days since last week, went past a Toyota dealer of the southside of Brisbane yesterday, went completely under, over the top of 200 series Landcruisers! There was a very mud laden MS85 Crown wagon sitting out the side of it, hope it will be cleaned and saved.

A great note for myself, my two good mates from the Murphy's creek have been found. No house or shed but alive. He found his Toyota Camry 15 km down stream, just amazing.

My thought's go out to all stuck and affected too, keep your chin up!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:32 am 
Mild Cam

Just an idea...

How about a JNC fundraiser, maybe $10 or $20 gets you a special edition JNC sticker, to help the Queensland flooding effort?

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 pm 

My heart goes out to all affected :(
Have quite a few people there who bought items from me in the past.
I've been looking for a way to donate some online so a JNC fundraiser is a good idea :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:06 pm 

Hope all our JNC members up north are all safe and well. Camshaft, I think that's a great idea about the stickers. :tu:

A lot of our overseas members are probably not awere that for a lot of these people affected that it is there second flooding in about a month.

Nath

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]