#
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 13   [ 253 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 am 
JNC Enthusiast

xs10shl wrote:
If we can get 10 or so together, I can co-host a catered affair along with Brad Goldstone at SF Sports Cars in San Carlos. I talked to him today, and we'd like to wait for the weather to improve before considering putting on a meet.

Sounds like a great Idea. I'm sure once more details are confirmed more people will join. As always you can count me in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:27 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Some more work done on the car while the sun decided to come out & play.

I really like the look of the OE badges that it came with from the factory. So I orderd some new OE badges from Japan. When the car was restored in Japan they had filled in the holes for the quarter panel “skyline” badge. Looks nice & clean but personaly I like it more with them on.

I didn’t have the exact measurements but thankfully you can still see where they were originally on the backside of the quarter panel.

Used some paper & a pencil to trace the outline. If you look closely you can see the darker spots on the paper are the location where the studs go through the panel.

The pink paper is just a rough template but ill transfer everything over to thicker paper before re-installing the badges.

Will post more pictures of the final product once completed.

Last edited by Norcal510 on Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:26 pm 

xs10shl wrote:
If we can get 10 or so together, I can co-host a catered affair along with Brad Goldstone at SF Sports Cars in San Carlos. I talked to him today, and we'd like to wait for the weather to improve before considering putting on a meet.

Now I just need to get my car back together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:23 pm 

Nice car man, love it. You do appear to have the wrong GT badges though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:51 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

kyteler wrote:
Nice car man, love it. You do appear to have the wrong GT badges though.

Thank you sir.

About the badges you're right. I didn't notice until after they had arrived. Got some new ones coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:03 pm 

Good stuff.

Other than the face of the badge perhaps not sitting flush against the body work, it would be one of those things that would bug me, if it were mine.

As it is with mine, I still need to get those badges, I have some GT-X and KGT ones I was going to recondition and change into red GT-R ones but... easier to buy them now they're available as reproduction items (they weren't when I first started looking, infact the GT-R rear panel badge has only recently joined that list of repro items).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:49 pm 

xs10shl wrote:

I may not have a old J-tin car but I'll be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:21 pm 

xs10shl wrote:

I'm down, as long as I'm not racing it some place. Currently I'm in the process of making it a legal vintage race car. I can likely lure a few other roadsters out once the date is known.

Will

'87 BMW M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:34 am 
JNC Enthusiast

kyteler wrote:
Good stuff.

Other than the face of the badge perhaps not sitting flush against the body work, it would be one of those things that would bug me, if it were mine.

I agree. Plus the ones I have look kinda cheap looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:43 am 

Beautiful car!

notajncr wrote:
Ditch the wrap and the L6 while you are at it. Drop in a real nice RB and have a good time.

Why? A good L28 will rip an NA RB's head off and defecate heartily down its metaphorical neck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 am 

i think he means a turbo rb....cause my rb26dett kills L motors and gets better gas mileage with 400 to the wheels ,dont think a L series is doing that on pump gas......no offense to the l-series....you are right though the na rb are not the greatest but very smooth i had rb25de with itbs it made 186 to the wheels...not bad but not great either....anyway back to the ken meri....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:36 pm 

Just drop a 2JZGTE :lol: ... no really the L series with the triple side drafts kicks ass. Thermal coat those headers/fix your exhaust piping and get those tires ASAP, cause it's really bothering me :) BTW I really like the fact you're putting those skyline badges on the side and the work you did with the GTR badges, pulleys and misc parts painting them black. It's those little tiny details that really shows the love, passion and dedication one has for their cars. :tu: :tu: Good luck to you and enjoy every second!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am 

2000gtx wrote:
i think he means a turbo rb....cause my rb26dett kills L motors and gets better gas mileage with 400 to the wheels ,dont think a L series is doing that on pump gas......no offense to the l-series....you are right though the na rb are not the greatest but very smooth i had rb25de with itbs it made 186 to the wheels...not bad but not great either....anyway back to the ken meri....

i think he is in love with the sound of the triples, dont see an RB going in this car anytime soon :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

seventhskyline wrote:
Beautiful car!

te72_sunny wrote:
Just drop a 2JZGTE :lol: ... no really the L series with the triple side drafts kicks ass. Thermal coat those headers/fix your exhaust piping and get those tires ASAP, cause it's really bothering me :) BTW I really like the fact you're putting those skyline badges on the side and the work you did with the GTR badges, pulleys and misc parts painting them black. It's those little tiny details that really shows the love, passion and dedication one has for their cars. :tu: :tu: Good luck to you and enjoy every second!

Thank you both for your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

One of the things that’s recently been keeping me busy is the tank in the c10. A while back I got the tank boiled & re-sealed. I’ll later discuss all the issues I've had w/the tank in another thread but for now let’s get to the good stuff.

Thanksgiving morning I met up with some good friends of mine. We decide to head out to the shop & a few miles on our way there the car starts acting like its starving for fuel. I look down at my fuel gauge & it reads ¾ full. We pull over to see what's the issue, I can see the pump is working double time but the fuel filter is bone dry. My friend suggest possibly the tank has no fuel. Initially that wasn't even a question that ran through my mind as my fuel gauge reds ¾ full. I know my fuel gauge works as I tested it before I re-installed it a few weeks back.

I open the trunk & see this!!! OMG what the hell happened??

With no other option my friend (drift86) runs out in his Hachi at full throttle to save the day. Lol He comes back with 5 gallons of fuel. Quickly we fill the tank and I turn the ignition on. Bam the electric fuel pump is no longer working twice as hard as it was before. The fuel filter starts to fill up & the car fires right up. GREAT SUCCESS!!! Little did I know that the tank was so damaged it had dented the tank to the point where the sending unit arm would rest on the top of the damaged area not allowing the arm to go any lower than 3/4 full.

A few weeks go by & I decide it was time to fix the tank. But debated if I should get a new tank or just repair the one I have. Checked Yahoo Auctions Japan but the one and only tank I saw was in the neighborhood of 60,000/JPY. I've also seen them for sale at victory50 but those tanks are well over 100,000/JPY not including shipping. Now Im sure some of you might think it’s stupid of me to repair the tank when I could buy another. Fuel cells are also an option. However personally I find it more gratifying when you repair/restore what you have so I went ahead & started the repair.

Pull the tank & remove all the fuel and let it air out for 2 weeks. Also run some warm air with a blow dryer to make sure its dry.

While helping a good buddy of mine (nismopunch) I decided to bring my stud gun over to fix some dents on the zed. Figured it would be worth a try and add a few studs and attempt to pull the damaged areas.

For anyone out there who plans to restore their car you should consider adding this tool to their collection. Back in the day a body man would drill holes in a panel to repair a dented area. However with the stud gun it welds a stud on the damaged area allowing you to add a slide hammer to pull the damage. When you’re done with the metal work the stud comes off easy leaving no holes.

Nismopunch getting some practice behind the stud gun -

* * Before anyone says anything. The tank has NO FUEL & has been dried out with warm air before we used the stud gun.* *

After a few hard pulls I decided it would be best to go another route. Upon further inspection I noticed the tank had literally crushed the inner walls. You can also see how it pinned the hard line to the bottom of the tank.

The tank was crushed to the point where the only way fixing the tank was to either cut it open or heat the walls up. Considering the tank still has tank sealer I didn't want to build too much pressure with a torch. I felt it’s more of a wise decision to cut it open and fix it the right way.

The culprit of my heartahce

More to come keep posted...

Last edited by Norcal510 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:33 pm 

ooo im in a kenmeri thread :D i wont lie...i was a little nervous using the stud gun with that smoke from the heated up sealer coming out of the filler tube hole..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:53 pm 

OMG!! Next time I get a tank done I am going to poke some wire thru all of the tube in the tank to make sure they are open. Did they drill a hole to drain the stuff and sodder on a penny to cover it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:08 am 

Wow, I need one of those stud gun things in my life, would make fixing my squashed sill section a walk in the park.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:45 am 

Cool pics dude.
Hope you work easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:29 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

DeRuX wrote:
OMG!! Next time I get a tank done I am going to poke some wire thru all of the tube in the tank to make sure they are open. Did they drill a hole to drain the stuff and sodder on a penny to cover it??

Yes, lesson learned always double check. I think they shook the liquid around & let the excess out the main inlet tube. I didn't see any holes or signs of welding on the bottom.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 13   [ 253 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next