It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 13   [ 252 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:53 pm 

XXR's???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:42 pm 

Hmm...it says Sport Max XXR in the description though. But at any rate they might be about right for the front, but are way too small for the rear with flares :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:50 pm 

Holy crap those XXRs are heavy. 17lbs is a HUGE chunk of weight in a really bad place to have it. Shop carefully and find some Watts or Panasports for a good price and save the 3+ lbs of rotating unsprung weight per wheel.

Will

'87 BMW M3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:55 pm 

DaveW wrote:
Found these? Seem a reasonable price?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

Ahhh duuuude no...you're trolling right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:21 am 

aah I need some nice rear wheels in my life lol!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:16 am 

I know alot of people who run the xxr or other knock off wheel, but i could never do it. In my opinion you can find a decent set of used, legit wheels, that are around the dame price, and just do a little refinish work, and you have a set of wheels worth more than you are into them, and better for your car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:12 am 

BTW I still think you should source your flares first, and then work out what the ideal wheel size is later :) After all the wheels are going to be such a massive expense that you might as well get them perfect :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:43 am 

I agree with Kev, but I'd go a little further and suggest that you might want to delay sourcing your choice of overfenders until you find out just how much metal is left to bolt them to once you've removed the body filler, chicken wire, fibreglass paste, old newspapers and tram tickets that those rear wheel arches appear to be made out of........

But hopefully I'll be wrong...... :wink:

I've got some 7.5j x 14" and 10j x 14" R.S. Watanabe 8-spokes stacked in my garage. The 10js are Magnesium 'R' types. They might be available if you want to stick with a more period-correct look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:34 pm 

Hiya Alan

long time no hear. Sure i really would love to keep it period looking and as always would appreciate your assistance with this lovely old car. She arrives in the uk in about a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:06 am 

wow cool car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:22 am 

clean71 wrote:
wow cool car

Cheers Buddy :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:07 pm 

HS30-H wrote:
I agree with Kev, but I'd go a little further and suggest that you might want to delay sourcing your choice of overfenders until you find out just how much metal is left to bolt them to once you've removed the body filler, chicken wire, fibreglass paste, old newspapers and tram tickets that those rear wheel arches appear to be made out of........

But hopefully I'll be wrong...... :wink:

I've got some 7.5j x 14" and 10j x 14" R.S. Watanabe 8-spokes stacked in my garage. The 10js are Magnesium 'R' types. They might be available if you want to stick with a more period-correct look.

well she arrives in the UK 9th dec so we will find out about the chicken wire pretty soon. I'd be interested in the 10J's if you are prepared tomake them available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:22 am 

DaveW wrote:
well she arrives in the UK 9th dec so we will find out about the chicken wire pretty soon. I'd be interested in the 10J's if you are prepared tomake them available?

Don't take me too seriously, Dave. I'm only ribbing you. It's pretty much immaterial about the rear arches anyway. I believe you'll cut them out like the factory GT-R panels and then put Overfenders on them.

It'll be nice if there's nothing too serious wrong with the structure of the car, and I'm sure that's the case. However, it's best to be realistic and the rear arches are non-standard ( there has to be a reason for that ) and a little wobbly looking. The car bodyshell needs taking back to bare metal to cure the issues with trapped rust ( EG, around the windows ) and there's no point cutting corners. If I were you I'd strip it completely, put it up on a rotisserie, turn it upside down and go to town on the underneath. I'm doing this with an HS30 body at the moment and its so much better than struggling with a rolling 'shell.

Yes, we could talk about the mag 10J x 14s, but to be honest you might want to go to at least 15" for a better tyre choice. Plenty of time for you to search for wheels, anyway. You'll be needing to gather lots of trim, rubber and ancillary parts first. First thing you need is a copy of the factory Parts Manual.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:31 am 

HS30-H wrote:
DaveW wrote:

Don't take me too seriously, Dave. I'm only ribbing you. It's pretty much immaterial about the rear arches anyway. I believe you'll cut them out like the factory GT-R panels and then put Overfenders on them.

It'll be nice if there's nothing too serious wrong with the structure of the car, and I'm sure that's the case. However, it's best to be realistic and the rear arches are non-standard ( there has to be a reason for that ) and a little wobbly looking. The car bodyshell needs taking back to bare metal to cure the issues with trapped rust ( EG, around the windows ) and there's no point cutting corners. If I were you I'd strip it completely, put it up on a rotisserie, turn it upside down and go to town on the underneath. I'm doing this with an HS30 body at the moment and its so much better than struggling with a rolling 'shell.

Yes, we could talk about the mag 10J x 14s, but to be honest you might want to go to at least 15" for a better tyre choice. Plenty of time for you to search for wheels, anyway. You'll be needing to gather lots of trim, rubber and ancillary parts first. First thing you need is a copy of the factory Parts Manual.....

Hiya Alan

aaah dont worry I didnt take any offence to your comments. The car will be done exactly as you said, stripped to a bare shell and work on the rust issues that are bound to be there.

I've got a factory parts manual just arrived the other day. The car is fairly complete though natually I will needs lots more as I want period front bucket seats, correct wing mirrors, rear lamp covers, a few external badges inc a GTX badge for the grill.

As for the engine I really am undecided as to which way to go yet.

Hopefully we can chat on the phone in the future regarding these wonderful cars.

DaveW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:44 pm 

i want one so bad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:06 pm 

well, she lands this week (tuesday)............cant wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:02 pm 

Haha...I bet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:15 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Please do take lots of pictures :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:57 am 

yes, take LOTS of pictures :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:54 am 

Sorry..havent read the whole thread yet, but the pix look super nice. :tu:

Has anybody else noticed the mirrors are on the door not the fenders? pointing out the obvious :oops: I cant remember ever seeing a hako with door mirros before. Suprisingly, I like it just as much.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 13   [ 252 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next