#
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:17 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Help With Rust Ridding!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:06 am 

I have an '88 corolla, first project car with 264000+ miles. It's getting a full load of stuff; turbo 20v, coilovers, jdm exterior stuff, etc.

The problem is, apparently, rust.

There was a small, an area about 1.5"Hx3"L over the passenger wheel well. I cut the section out. I then used JB weld to fill in the made gash which works quite well. Because of the fear of the rust coming back, I shot primer after I cut the gash, applied the JB, then shot more primer over that. I would say it's about 4 coats or so of primer. I left it at that since then. A few days later, it rained, I didn't worry about any rust appearing. But I happen to look anyways after a couple days after the rainy day, best behold I saw discoloration seaping out from between the cut-edge of the body metal and the jb weld...

There is also another spot over the passenger taillight. I removed the taillight to get to it, not hard to get to really. I sanded and scrubbed as much of the rust I could get off. The rust area is just as big as an eraser tip, maybe a bit larger. Only surface rust but it had dug into the metal some. So I cleaned it nicely leaving only rustless metal then shot primer over it. Weeks later, I'm seeing the area bubble up again...

Could it be the primer I'm using? I know that some primers can actually act like a sponge and soak the water down to the metal.

I used Rustoleum rust reformer primer, in black. Image

I used it on the hood and it seems to be working well there, just not anywhere else... and the whole hood was sanded down to virtual bare metal.

I'm thinking about going with POR15 rust prevention paint... they cost...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]