#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:06 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]
 Post subject: 2nd Gen. Civic Hatchback
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 am 

Looking to keep the car as close to stock as possible, although appreciate the modified stock look. I want to lower the vehicle down a few inches and run a smaller tire/ wheel combo. Wheels are fairly easy to find, but suspension is a trick, does anybody have any ideas on spring companies or other car springs that will fit? ...

Here are some pics of how it looks currently as purchased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:04 pm 

Car looks great, man. My '79 site on factory heated springs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:35 am 

thanks qdseeker. i did not want to have to heat coils but desperate times call for, well, heated coils... love these cars, always have, i was hooked back in 95 when I owned my first crx.

what carb are you running?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm 

illvin_toyota wrote:
i did not want to have to heat coils but desperate times call for, well, heated coils...

Heat is bad for springs. They lose their temper and start to sag a little more every day until they don't work at all. You'll be bouncing all over the road eventually.

Although not ideal, it is better to take them out and cut a coil or two off than it is to heat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:54 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
illvin_toyota wrote:
i did not want to have to heat coils but desperate times call for, well, heated coils...

Heat is bad for springs. They lose their temper and start to sag a little more every day until they don't work at all. You'll be bouncing all over the road eventually.

Although not ideal, it is better to take them out and cut a coil or two off than it is to heat them.

I respectfully have to disagree with 100% of this post, lolol. I heated my first set of springs on my 1980 Datsun 210 SW back in 1986. I've never looked back. I've owned about 30 cars or so...all of which I heated the springs on. Even now, 25 years later, I have 2 cars (both dailies) that are on heated springs. And I'm not talking an inch or two. I'm talking full on heating about 4-5 coils on each corner, lolol. I have NEVER had a suspension problem with ANY car I've owned with this method. I have never replaced a spring. They were the original springs that came on the car and never once did I have an issue. As far as ride quality goes, it's a much smoother ride on heat than cut. I'm also old school going back to when after market springs weren't available or readily available.

This is all based on my experiences and the experiences of the dozens of people of whose cars I lowered by this style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:03 am 

Now all we need is a purist to chime in and tell us that both options for lowering are the devils work and we will have a well rounded discussion going! - lmao :D

Too heat or cut? Everyone has their own experience with both options that are negative & postitive. All I know is I have a 4x4 CVCC currently that wants to get low!!!... Either in moderation will work for me. I have know some friends that went crazy with the torch and bounced all over the road as an outcome - I will attempt the moderate approach.

Its hard to believe that no other car manufacturer made a spring that was shorter & in the same circumference as the Honda spring.

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 pm 

illvin_toyota wrote:
I have know some friends that went crazy with the torch and bounced all over the road as an outcome -

As I said, I've been doing this for 25 years. A bit of experience can go a long way, man. But you got to do what you feel is good for you. My '79 actually has Civic EG springs that are cut in half and heated, lolol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:42 pm 

qdseeker wrote:
illvin_toyota wrote:
I have know some friends that went crazy with the torch and bounced all over the road as an outcome -

As I said, I've been doing this for 25 years. A bit of experience can go a long way, man. But you got to do what you feel is good for you. My '79 actually has Civic EG springs that are cut in half and heated, lolol.

You threw the EG's on the 79's struts? I like to hear what has worked for other people...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:30 pm 

1G and 2G Civic suspension is pretty different, I don't think EG/DC or other later model civic springs will fit your struts. I think there are some lowering springs made by 'ZOOM' for sale on Yahoo Japan for the EN/ 2G Civic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:28 am 

1GMatt wrote:
1G and 2G Civic suspension is pretty different, I don't think EG/DC or other later model civic springs will fit your struts. I think there are some lowering springs made by 'ZOOM' for sale on Yahoo Japan for the EN/ 2G Civic.

Thank you !!! I will check these out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:05 pm 

i found these: less than 1.5 inch drop though...

http://www.spaxdirect.com/index.php?cPa ... f08cb3ebef :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:37 pm 

1GMatt wrote:
I don't think EG/DC or other later model civic springs will fit your struts.

I actually KNOW they will work as I have EG springs on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:38 pm 

qdseeker wrote:
1GMatt wrote:

Really? I have a 83 S. So you are saying for sure an EG spring fits?

Do you know if I could put some coil sleeves on then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:22 pm 

qdseeker wrote:
1GMatt wrote:

I'm sorry YOU ARE WRONG. They will fit 1st Gen Civic struts NOT 2nd Gen. 2Gen suspension is quite different.

And yea don't expect great drops from aftermarket springs because too go low they won't be captive anymore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:48 pm 

1GMatt wrote:
I'm sorry YOU ARE WRONG.

I didn't know you worked on my car. I barely have the money to work on my own car, let alone fly someone in from out the country to do it. Stay out if you don't know for certain.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 15 posts ]