#
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:54 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: hakosuka rear brakes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:29 am 

i have been looking through some old magazines i have and i am having no luck with finding info on upgrade options for the rears. i know that ive seen some hako's with rear disk brakes, but i cant figure out what they are coming from aside from rocky auto's s13 rear subframe they used for s13 rear brakes.. anyone here have rear disc's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:27 am 

From everything I've seen/heard, the trailing arm setup is similar between the 510, Laurel and Hakosuka regarding the rear brake disc conversion. The Japanese guy that I got my donor parts from had a Hakosuka, and he was going to do the rear disc conversion. He mentioned the usual conversion type for the 510's, as listed here:
http://www.datsuns.com/510/brakes/510brackets.htm
But he also mentioned that he was planning to use the R31 rear disc brake conversion. Being in Japan of course it was an available route for him (especially since he had a junkyard), so this might be a route you could consider as well. Especially if you only want Skyline parts to be used, since I know some people who feel that way. Here's the R31 conversion, it's in reference to installation on a 510, but again they are very similar:
http://www.datfusion.com/forums/index.p ... ed&pid=313
One thing that the R31 conversion doesn't mention, but that the other conversion does in new bearings. I would highly recommend getting new bearings, after several decades of wear it would be a very good thing.
I hope this helps you out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:21 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Some owners in Japan use R32 Rear brakes. The WORKS Hakosuka uses R32 all the way around. The down side you will have to buy the brackets or have some make them. However since you’re in Japan it shouldn’t be too hard to source some brackets. I plan to have some brackets made as soon as my calipers arrive. If your serious Ill see if I can have another set made.

I have a few pictures of the complete swap I'll try and post them later tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm 

thanks, i would LOVE to see the pics. will you be able to retain your parking brake with that setup?

and let me know what the price you are looking at with those brackets, i may jump in on the order. i was planning to just buy the standard offset bracket/rotor setup that you see on YAJ for around 33000Y

i have a set of S14 4 pistons for the fronts, and R32 rears would be really easy for me to get, just need a set of rotors, but i dont want to install a line lock, would much rather be able to retain the handbrake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:15 pm 

a 510 and kgc10 are similar but tnot the same the bearings are diff size and so is hub shaft diameter any kit that fits a 510 will not directlyn bolt up to a hako...unless you get one of the kits from victory 50 or rubbersoul ...if your going r32 you can make your own brackets not to hard i nwould check clearances with your watanabes before getting crazy ...cause usually you will need to space the rim out to clear 15 inch any ways i am using evo brakes and it is a tight fit on the 15 watts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:10 am 

Norcal510 wrote:
The WORKS Hakosuka uses R32 all the way around.

What "WORKS" are you referring to?

The term "Works" when applied to cars like the Hakosuka usually means the factory 'Works' racing team. None of those cars used 'R32' brakes, unless they had a time machine at Maruyama......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:47 am 

How much is the s14 rear conversion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:55 am 

greenmonster80 wrote:
They recommend using the S13/14 rear components in order to maintain the parking brake.

I'd be interested to see how that works. As the old 200sx, maxima and r31 conversions are the only ones I've seen retaining a parking brake since the parking brake on those is built into the caliper. I can't see bolting on the s13/s14/r32 rotors/calipers and retaining a stock parking brake system as those are a brake pad inside the rotor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 am 
JNC Enthusiast

HS30-H wrote:

What "WORKS" are you referring to?

Alan Im sorry I meant the victory 50 works theme Hakosuka.

After quickly browsing through a few mags I have. Here are a few of the pictures. Forgive me for the poor quality as they are pictures of a picture = ) I wasn’t able to find the slightly more detailed pictures of the rear brake setup but I’ll just have to go through all my mags sometime this week.

Also I was wrong Victory 50 hakosuka is running Brembo calipers upfront r32 calipers outback.

I meant to say this car was running R32 all around.

Quote:
2000gtx - I am using evo brakes and it is a tight fit on the 15 watts.
If you have pictures of the your setup. I’d sure like to see :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:18 am 

unfortunately these are all purpose built machines, and im betting they dont retain parking brakes HAHA

i would really like to do this, but retain the parking brakes for my Hako..

thanks for the pics, they will be very helpful!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 pm 

Look into 510 rear disk brake options. From everything I have seen, the suspension and brakes are very similar between the 510 and the skyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:37 pm 

i will look into that, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:05 pm 

are these any good for your conversion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:10 am 

maybe. i will have to look into those. Thanks

Post subject: Re: hakosuka rear brakes
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:05 pm 

Any update on this topic?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:07 am 

I will have some "alone" time in the garage this weekend. I will post pics of the disc brake kit I know works. It is very easy to install. 280zxt rear bearings are a good upgrade to do while you got it apart. 28zxt bearings are sealed on one side.

The 510 kits do not work. We have board members who own both cars (510 and KGC10). They are similar but not the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:53 am 

So here are the photos of my stock GC10 and a datsun 510 rear wheel cylinders. I took picture of them next to each other and they have a few things that look different but I think they are just from who made them. The piston size and the E-brake thing are both the same. The pistons both measured .812 (13/16).

I tried to get some rear cylinders from nissan USA and they were out of stock on back order. They also cost about $88 ea USD. So I Adam at Feast Auto and they were like 9000 yen per cylinder thru rubber soul. He did some looking around and found a place that sells the shoes and cylinders as a set for like 16000 yen. So long story short you can use datsun 510(1600) rear cylinders if you want.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 am 

You should buy the brackets from Eric B. He is loosing money on the deal. If you want to maintain the parking cable, mount them upside down (cable pull and rear shock relationship). If not worried about the parking brake mount them normally and remove the cable pull parts from the caliper, so they do not rub the rear shock.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:38 pm 

At the Bayline meet there was a white Skyline with Brembo calipers front and rear...I feel like I have seen it on this forum but I can't find it:

1967.5 Datsun Roadster (SR20)
2006 Nissan 350z

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:12 am 

That looks like Ralph's car.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 34 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next