#
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:33 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 110 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: The 'Mistress' - 74' Corona Mark II
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:05 pm 

I was bored a few weeks ago so I decided to go look around a few junkyards and see what parts I could find for the s13 I was building. The last one I went to, I found this beautiful piece of history. It took about an hour for me to decide to put the 13 on hold, sell my 14 and buy this.

2 days and ¥200000 (about $2400) later, she was mine. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:08 pm 

The guy at the junkyard helped us get it started when we first looked over it. It was running a little rough and had a pretty loud knock, they thought the engine was no good.

I had it towed to the hobby shop on base the day after I bought it.

First thing was getting the passenger door open. The spring on the outer handle was rusted to the handle keeping it from moving. A couple minutes in the parts washer and hitting it with a wire brush and some white lithium grease worked amazing. Also cleaned and greased the latch assembly. I can open and close the door with one finger now. still gotta do the driver side.

tightened the alternator belt... didn't do much good, the belt is stretched so it still screams a bit.
Cleaned the trunk out so i could get a look at the inside of the floor board. Still had the spare tire, tire cover, rubber carpet, and the board to cover the fuel tank.
Pulled everything out and went swimming. The spare tire spot was almost completely full of water.

And so far, the trunk lid seems to have the worst case of cancer.

That's pretty much it for today...

oh... forgot the extra horse power

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:10 pm 

Some upskirt action

interestingly made, newish exhaust.

blurry, but half the boots/bushings up front look to have been replaced not too long ago.

found another tumor.

I've decided i'll just do what i can here, and keep it more original for now. when i get back to the states it'll follow the cadillac and be spun on a rotisserie and get all new fun stuff. It'll be easier and i won't have to worry about being down a car .

still need to dig into the engine and get it running good enough to go through the line, then we'll be cruisin'
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:13 pm 

it's getting closer to jci time :bangbangbang:
did an oil change, cleaned the plugs. The cap, rotor and wires seem brand new, no corrosion on the points in the cap or nothin, everything was just dusty.
waiting for belts and new plugs, computer didn't show anything for the car, guess i'll have to order a couple of everything so i don't have to wait later.

got the optima put in :green:

took a cool picture with the air cleaner off :evil:

i'll have to fix three of the headlight rings before i can jci it. the tabs all broke off. should have them fixed by morning.

also found one of the most interesting throttle linkage setups i've ever seen
driver side near the hood hinge

to the passenger side behind the carb

to the carb, then a cable for the kick down

i'm thinkin about running a cable the whole way, but that'll be later if i decide to.

and... obviously it ran before, but after the oil change, it ran so much smoother, i had to take a video of it. no knocking, and the belts were even quiet for the whole clip, lol. it ran out of gas near the end, that's why it died

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnMyDQ5j6lM[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm 

Wednesday's Inspection results....

FAIL :(

1. front wheels stick out past flares. (fixed)

2. JWL stamp not on wheels. (fixed)

3. Outer brake lights needed to run flares. (fixed)

4. Left rear doesn't lock using e-brake... (pending)

I'll be going back monday to finish the inspection. We got the rear brakes adjusted yesterday. I've never seen an adjustment like this has, I've only ever seen the little cylinder with the gear that you spin, this has some arm coming off the front shoe, to another arm and so on. Very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:30 pm 

Alright, I'm done with the copy/paste :)

The plans for now are to get it on the road. First thing is to start on the rust. You can see in the pics, it's not terrible, but it's far from good. Luckily, a friend of mine has a media blaster big enough to hold some of the smaller panels. I'll blast the trunk, all the panels around the grille, the front valence, the piece around the tail lights, and anything else I can fit it there. He will also be helping me with welding some patches on the trunk lid.

Another friend of mine found an 18rg with a manual transmission for a really good price, I'll be getting that as soon as I get some body work done.

right now, I have limited tools and cash to give this thing a full make over, so everything I do here will just be baby steps for when I get back to the states. I plan to get it up on a rotisserie and blast the whole thing and start all over. While i'm here, i'm thinking I may just shoot primer on it, unless I get some paint for a decent price. I don't want to give it a nice paint job just to be stripped down in a few years.

Well, that's it for now. Let me know what you think, and if anyone has some info where I can order parts from (brakes,belts, plugs, mainly preventative maintenance stuff and anything that needs to be special ordered) without a big hassle, that would be awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:24 pm 

c72c wrote:
also found one of the most interesting throttle linkage setups i've ever seen

Yeah, the RHD 510s have the same weird set-up... :P

So where will you be when you move back to the states?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:

Yeah, the RHD 510s have the same weird set-up... :P

So where will you be when you move back to the states?

I still have a while before i get orders, so i don't know yet, but home is AZ. Eventually i'll have to go back there to get the rest of my cars :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:08 pm 

Welcome, I am glad that you made it here. It looks like you have a good project going there. I have one that I am working on myself. I am also almost done parting a Corona Mark II L. Its nice to see another service member over here with an interest in these things. Let me know if you need anything, I know that I am in Tokyo but I may be able to help you locate parts if you can't find them down there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:19 pm 

theunstated wrote:
Welcome, I am glad that you made it here. It looks like you have a good project going there. I have one that I am working on myself. I am also almost done parting a Corona Mark II L. Its nice to see another service member over here with an interest in these things. Let me know if you need anything, I know that I am in Tokyo but I may be able to help you locate parts if you can't find them down there.

Thanks.
Yea, i was reading your thread and sent you a pm. I like the temporary color you got goin on :tu: :lol: . There's not much for parts down here for anything older than 80's. It's even hard finding parts for hachis here. But, if you'd like to help out, i'd appreciate it very much.
I know a few things i need right now is the crash pad for the dash. If i can get at least the base of one to work from, i could reupholster it. And I need the little plastic trim around the door lock lever and door handle on the inside of the driver door. And I also need one piece of stainless trim, you can see in the pics of the front end, just under the emblem on the grille, i'm missing a piece about 8" long.
now that i think of it, there's a lot more than just a few...
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 pm 

sweet find! did it come with the 'champs and ssr meshies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:55 pm 

Very nice! Man, I wish we could stumble on to stuff like this at the JY. This would be an amazing score in the states! Enjoy it while you are over there!!

How many cars can you bring back? I was a airforce brat (Was in the PI), and as I recall it was just one?

Any Corona 1600 GT's lying around!!

www.fischart.com
Fisch's Art gallery and Print shop!
http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=17196

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:28 am 

strmrdr23 wrote:
sweet find! did it come with the 'champs and ssr meshies?

Thanks, Yes, it came with the wheels :D

fisch wrote:
Very nice! Man, I wish we could stumble on to stuff like this at the JY. This would be an amazing score in the states! Enjoy it while you are over there!!
How many cars can you bring back? I was a airforce brat (Was in the PI), and as I recall it was just one?
Any Corona 1600 GT's lying around!!

Thanks. We're aloud to bring back one car if we don't have one in government storage in the states.

there's hardly ever anything from this era just 'lying around'. :wink:
Only other classic car I know of that's goin to be for sell shortly is an old bluebird near my friends house, but that's about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:23 am 

very long day getting her legalized, and i almost (accidentally) recycled her :hehehe:
however...

LTO

and tagged
:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 am 

Welcome to Corona Mark II owners club :)

Many thanks for you for saving this corona from scrap yard.

I see from your car year of production that facelifting in Corona Mark II was introduced in Japan in 1974 ( In Europe it was 1975)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 am 

wow :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:48 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Beautiful, Take care of her well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:10 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice car. Glad she's legal :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:54 pm 

@Oracles- believe me, i plan to. :tu:

decided to take some pics last night on my way home. I'm no photographer, but, i wanted some pics since she was on the road and haven't had a chance to get any, so i tried. :D

and the ridiculously stretched tires. :twisted:
14x9 w/ 165/70

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:37 am 

Sick pictures man keep them coming. I will be back from my TDY tomorrow evening. I will try and get some of those pictures out no later than this weekend. Did you ever get anywhere with those parts on yahoo auctions?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 6   [ 110 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next