#
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: HELP!!!! identify this cvcc engine!!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:52 pm 

i have this rebuillt longblock i recently purchased (as well as some other goodies) from an old guy that used to have a turbocharged cvcc powered sandrail.. he had a few spare parts from his sandrail laying around his garage and offered me a great deal if i bought everything, and i did. he didnt have any knowledge what so ever about the engine other than he thought it was a "78 and its prob built for turbo. as he told me he was not mechanically inclined at all and said "i would only check the oil, put gas, and step on the gas pedal".."my builder would tell me what to buy and i'd buy it". i guess the sandrail as well as this longblock were built years ago. ive tried looking up info on "ED" cvcc series engines and cant find rock solid info to id its exact origin. HELP!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:35 pm 

ED-1 is '75 only 1500 Sedan/Hatchback Civic motor. ED-2 is '75 Wagon, ED-3 is 76-79 Sedan/Hatchback, ED-4 is 76-79 Wagon.

The '75 had a 4-port exhaust head, the 76-79 were 2-port exhaust heads.

What else did you get in the deal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:11 pm 

Jonathan wrote:
ED-1 is '75 only 1500 Sedan/Hatchback Civic motor. ED-2 is '75 Wagon, ED-3 is 76-79 Sedan/Hatchback, ED-4 is 76-79 Wagon.

The '75 had a 4-port exhaust head, the 76-79 were 2-port exhaust heads.

What else did you get in the deal?

i was under the impression that the engine code should be stamped as ED1- ###### ED2- ####### ED3- ###### etc. my block is stamped ED - 1#####, isnt the 1 on my block the start of the vin number or is this how all the ED series engines are stamped? thnx for the help!

included with the longblock was a 5spd trans with a new clutch, flywheel, nice sized "rajay" turbo with an adapter that replaces the carb on the cvcc intake manifold to run turbo, turbonetics wastegate with dump tube, weber 45mm dcoe sidedraft carb with the manifold that goes to the inlet of the turbo, stock intake and exhaust manifold (that doesnt fit this head), and a bunch of random parts (braided lines, flanges,starters, alternators, brackets, and bolts). i was really hoping he had the exhaust manifold to run the turbo on the cvcc engine!! no luck =/ i think thats the only missing piece i would need to put together a sweet little turbo set up =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:42 am 

It's a early 75 cvcc engine witht he funky head. You can still get a header for them on Ebay every so often. (becasue they DON'T FIT the other ones, and over the years the parts stores that haven't sold them to ignorant customers, have liquidated them to OTHER parts stores for a "deal")

That head/block is an animal to itself. The bolt pattern for the head is off just enough that they aren't interchangeable with other cvcc's. The intake side, there are two headbolts that are more inward to the cam just enough to not fit with other cvcc heads/maniflolds. SORRY..

Back in the day, I had a machine shop egg-shape (well, that's what I ASKED FOR) those two holes to use a double-dual EM-1 head (since I had ported it already) came back to pickup and he drilled out the hole larger all-round INSTEAD of doing what I wanted and cut thru the aluminum and into a water passage. :x ! Then I had a BRAND NEW JUNK HEAD

You're gonna have a heck of a time finding an intake to fit also..

I wonder if you could take the block to a "good" machine shop and ask them about boring those two holes out, and heili-coil them back to the right pattern of the ED-3/4's..?

NOW, on the other hand.. You picked up some R A R E parts there.. Lets see some pics PLEASE!!!

Errol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am 

77amc wrote:
It's a early 75 cvcc engine witht he funky head. You can still get a header for them on Ebay every so often. (becasue they DON'T FIT the other ones, and over the years the parts stores that haven't sold them to ignorant customers, have liquidated them to OTHER parts stores for a "deal")

That head/block is an animal to itself. The bolt pattern for the head is off just enough that they aren't interchangeable with other cvcc's. The intake side, there are two headbolts that are more inward to the cam just enough to not fit with other cvcc heads/maniflolds. SORRY..

Back in the day, I had a machine shop egg-shape (well, that's what I ASKED FOR) those two holes to use a double-dual EM-1 head (since I had ported it already) came back to pickup and he drilled out the hole larger all-round INSTEAD of doing what I wanted and cut thru the aluminum and into a water passage. :x ! Then I had a BRAND NEW JUNK HEAD

You're gonna have a heck of a time finding an intake to fit also..

I wonder if you could take the block to a "good" machine shop and ask them about boring those two holes out, and heili-coil them back to the right pattern of the ED-3/4's..?

NOW, on the other hand.. You picked up some R A R E parts there.. Lets see some pics PLEASE!!!

Errol

thanks for the infol!! so it sounds like its somewhat of a bastard motor and its exact origin is a mystery??? im still a little confused, so theres no other cvcc engine that is interchangable parts wise and is the issue your talking about with the headstuds or the studs for the in/ex mani?? i dont plan on swapping the head ,drilling the block, or any of that crazy stuff!! what year intake/ex manifold do i need to look for? i have access to 5 self serve wrecking yards and often see old cvcc hondas...... i really want to get this engine sorted out so can put the turbo setup together. if this longblock is to much of a hassle i will just sell it and put together an EK longblock, just want to try to use this one since its completely rebuilt top to bottom. thanks for the help!! i will post pics soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:32 pm 

Nope, no real mystery, just a one-year-only engine. You need the intake and exhaust manifolds off a '75 (and only 1975)) Civic CVCC. You can pick them out easily because the 76-79 CVCC's (and 1200's too) had the headlight switch on the column, the '75 and earlier 1200 and CVCC cars had the switch on the dash. 1975 was the first year of the CVCC motor in the US, before that they were all 1200s.

A company used to make a header for the '75 cars (Thunderbird headers, I think) and they pop up on e-bay now and then.

If you do find a 5-speed CVCC in the wrecking yard, please PM me, I want parts, and there's none left on the East Coast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:45 pm 

Jonathan wrote:
Nope, no real mystery, just a one-year-only engine. You need the intake and exhaust manifolds off a '75 (and only 1975)) Civic CVCC. You can pick them out easily because the 76-79 CVCC's (and 1200's too) had the headlight switch on the column, the '75 and earlier 1200 and CVCC cars had the switch on the dash. 1975 was the first year of the CVCC motor in the US, before that they were all 1200s.

A company used to make a header for the '75 cars (Thunderbird headers, I think) and they pop up on e-bay now and then.

If you do find a 5-speed CVCC in the wrecking yard, please PM me, I want parts, and there's none left on the East Coast!

great info!! i will def be keeping an eye out for a '75 so i can jump on the in/ex manifold. as far as the valve cover, distributor, alternator brackets,etc, will misc parts be '75 only or are they universal within the ED cvcc engines? what parts did you need from a 5 spd? there was a 5spd here locally a few months back and i was lucky enough to get the roof rack, steering wheel, and shift knob. i returned to take the a/c unit but somone beat me to it =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:02 pm 

If the CVCC has a good front crossmember I can really use it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:23 pm 

I think the external parts are pretty much universal except for the A/C brackets if you find them. They're '75 only along with the intake/exhaust manifolds.

If you find a 5-speed car, I could use a spare tach/speedo/temp/fuel setup, as well as a spare shifter mechanism if the bushings are good and tight. The dealer can't help anymore, and I'm just concerned about the future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:33 am 

You should already know this engine will also have more in common with the '76-78 EF/EG Accord 1600 engines than the later EK/EL so there's also differences/complications mounting up the later Accord flywheel/clutch/transaxle etc bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:25 am 

bob78cvcc wrote:
If the CVCC has a good front crossmember I can really use it. :)

i will keep an eye out..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 am 

Jonathan wrote:
I think the external parts are pretty much universal except for the A/C brackets if you find them. They're '75 only along with the intake/exhaust manifolds.

If you find a 5-speed car, I could use a spare tach/speedo/temp/fuel setup, as well as a spare shifter mechanism if the bushings are good and tight. The dealer can't help anymore, and I'm just concerned about the future!

i will keep an eye out for those parts also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:37 am 

79cord wrote:
You should already know this engine will also have more in common with the '76-78 EF/EG Accord 1600 engines than the later EK/EL so there's also differences/complications mounting up the later Accord flywheel/clutch/transaxle etc bits.

yeah i figured. my initial plan was to turbo my EK sedan but everything is in great working order, ac, ps, etc, and the car is in top running condition. im leaning more towards finding a cheap, complete, original, and tired early model accord or 1200/cvcc, swap in this drivetrain/turbo and build a fun sleeper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:59 pm 

Nice find. Did you buy this motor off Ebay or the previous bought it off Ebay? I thought I've seen this motor before. It was built for a small airplane.

I have a new similar motor w/ intake and header.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:03 am 

OldSchoolMugen wrote:
Nice find. Did you buy this motor off Ebay or the previous bought it off Ebay? I thought I've seen this motor before. It was built for a small airplane.

I have a new similar motor w/ intake and header.

if thats the case its for sale then!!! "aviation spec cvcc longblock for your street car".. (prop not included).. jk i bought it here locally, theres more info in the 1st post.. trust me this things been sitting in dudes garage prob before ebay's conception.

Post subject: Re: HELP!!!! identify this cvcc engine!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:59 pm 

I have a 75 Cvcc 1.5 weird head engine
An I'm, looking for the intake & exhaust
manifolds, if any have them for sale
u can hit me back at oscbald2@yahoo.com,
I surley appriciated.
Oscar
From; Long Beach, CA

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]