#
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: 1990 Mitsubishi Magna GLX Sedan!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:09 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Hello Gang,

Now if this car doesn't say to everyone that our soon to be operating Japanese Motor Museum takes on anything and everything Japanese, I don't know what will! I will be checking with my doctor just to make sure that the medication is at the right dose!!

It's a 1990 Mitsubishi Magna GLX sedan, 2.6l Astron 2 motor with auto.

Why buy a Magna I hear you say. Well, the museum is being built to celebrate the long history of the Japanese auto industry here in Australia. As most Aussies know, the Magna was fully built here down in South Australia until only recently.

This version is a TP series, which was the first to add the revised 4 speed automatic transmisson. The GLX trim level, added cloth trims, power steer, Air con, 6 way adjustable seats and a AM/FM wireless with tapedeck!

This was sold new at Nundah Mitsubishi after being a demo for a couple of months and recently returned back to there as a trade in. Just on 200K on the odometer and the thing that surprised me the most, it is still running it's original engine, which must be a miracle for a Astron 2.6 as most here have suffered a cracked block or head or both!!

Hat tip to Mazdajon for the locating of it so technically it's half your fault!! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy(I think!)

Made in Australia!!

Last edited by B1500boy on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:30 pm 
Administrator

can't be many of these unmolested 1st gens left ... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 am 
JNC Fanatic

I'd rock it. nice clean car. Definately not a real sexy car, but I might daily drive it lol.

87 Montero swb turbo, 1987 Minicab van Supercharged
86 mighty max 4x4
84, 85, and 86 lancer ex1800 turbo
78 lancer
73 galant coupe
65 Debonair Deluxe
80's Hero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:10 am 
JNC Fanatic

matt wrote:
can't be many of these unmolested 1st gens left ... 8)

Yeah Matt, sorta why we made the call and bought it. Unfortunately over here the poor old Magna is usually sort after for it's weight in scrap metal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:43 am 

Bringing a tear to my eye just thinking that I was involved in this transaction.

No, really it is. Haven't stopped crying since.

The medication will work soon...............

In all seriousness, this much maligned and forgotten Australian built car is fast disappearing from our roads. This car is a very honest example that deserves to at least live on and not be cubed!

Glad to have done my bit for the museum. It actually got a lot of interest from the older employees that have fond memories of the 1st generation Magnas at Nundah Mitsubishi.

I have managed to save a lot of early literature on the 1980s and 1990s Mitsubishis so it was about time a complete car was also saved.

2003 Lexus LS430 sedan
2011 Mazda CX7 diesel wagon
1977 Honda Z50 J1 Mini Trail
Then there are the three fire engines.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:47 pm 
Administrator

This is awesome. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:52 am 
JNC Fanatic

ben wrote:
This is awesome. 8)

You know you want a wagon version Ben!!

I know its not quite the nostalgic era yet, but there probably won't be any left by then! I'm finding now that this era of vehicles here is just as hard as a 70's JNC to find - too many car body collectors for scrap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:18 pm 

it's so horrible it's awesome! I have a real soft spot for the 5th gen Galants these Magnas were based on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:08 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I literally saw hundreds of the Galant versions of these in Thailand recently. I was really, really surprised.

Back in 1991 or 1992, my parents had a XD Falcon station wagon that had been really well looked after, but it was a bit tired after some big interstate trips and the daily school run. A family friend had one of these as a company car, my dad was amazed - here was a family saloon/sedan that could keep up with the XD on the highway when our families went away together, used about a quarter of the fuel that the XD did and had all of the mod cons at a reasonable price.

I had a TF Magna solara that got rear ended a few months ago, it smashed the equivalent Falcons and Commodores at the time in terms of refinement, sadly big sedans in FWD are always a compromise and this thing had a shocking turn circle and wicked (in a bad way) torque steer. The INVECS II auto was garbage too.

Such a shame Mitsu packed up in Australia, if only they built something decent in RWD!

Good idea to grab one of these Magnas, a good one will not die. I used my uncle's workshop wagon a couple of times, oh lawd the laughs I had in that thing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]