#
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 1st Gen Integra- newb
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:48 am 

hey guys, I can't find any info on my car. I'm an ex Ford boy who recently became interested in Japanese cars. I've been searching online, and it seems nobody knows anything about these old Integras. And parts are nearly impossible to find. I've only been able to source basic info, strangely enough wikipedia had something. I've only ever seen a couple of these cars. I think mine might be a sportier model or something. it has holes drilled in the hatch lid where a wing may have been, but alas, that is missing. So, is my car really as rare as i think it is.

brief description:

stamp says JAN 89, but appears to be 87 or 88 model (based on my research)

red
electric windows
power steering
5 speed manual
pgm-fi
DOHC
2 door
pop up headlights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:32 am 

Sounds like you have the SE model it came with a spoiler and side skirts. Also most of them have leather seats.

G1teg.org is a wealth of information. Check out their fourum, its been a few years seince I was last on there but it should still be active.

I had a 87' for 6 years. Great car, i loved it. But sadly it had to go due to structural rust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm 

yours is not an SE. just one that came with a wing. more than likely just an RS or LS. the SE was only black or white. they are fun cars although with there unconventional suspension can be difficult to find parts for. what are your intentions for the car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:44 pm 

^ Oh its red, nvm he's right its not an SE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:09 am 

Forget the RS/LS/SE model specifications. Australia really only got the early Integra in one main spec. with various options like sunroof, A/C, Automatic & were labeled as SX16 to start with. (Though there was a rare white Grand Prix edition with a factory- or more likely Honda Australia fitted body kit of side skirts & bumper extensions.)

All came standard as 3dr hatchbacks with a rubber rear wing mounted on the rear hatch (which often suffer from rusted steel mountings moulded within - often fostering rust in the hatch itself). 5dr versions curiously being sold through Jaguar/Rover Australia as the Rover 416i (since Rover had managed to sell the Honda Quintet with surprising success after Honda figured them not worth bothering with).

Initially in '86 Alloy wheels were also standard but were replaced by steel in exchange for standardizing the electric windows when the car received a minor facelift late in '87. We did receive them into '89 before the 2nd gen body shape was released.

They were loosely based upon an enlarged version of the 3rd gen Civic ('84-'87) floorpan which featured torsion-bar sprung front struts & a dead-beam rear axle, which left the 1st Integra the odd one out when 2nd & 3rd adopted the classic double wishbone layouts of the 4th/5th/6th gen Civics.

They weren't particularly rare but weren't cheap either so not HUGE sellers. Parts shouldn't be too difficult to get -for now- since they seem to have reached prime dumping age, but having such cheap, possibly worn-out examples about most professional wreckers just don't bother so smaller pick-a-part style self-service wreckers are the best best for body & trim parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:37 pm 

@ E-at_me, my intentions are to fix it up into a nice, tidy daily driver, with a few mild performance tweaks. I'm undecided on the bodykit issue. I was going to fabricate my own fibreglass kit, but that's a lot of effort. If I can find a nice one for sale, I may buy it. But I'm also considering just getting a new rear bumper, as my old one is kind of bent. (my girlfriends sister reversed it into a fence, she's no longer allowed to drive it)
My plan is to keep it the factory red, mostly because i've found the colourmatch paint, and it's a perfect match. (i had a few stone chips in the paint, gone now). I'm going to stiffen the suspension a bit, feels kinda limp (may just need new shocks, idk), i need the windows re-tinted (cheap tint is bubbling- :x ), maybe get the suspension adjusted a little... the rear sits a bit high. Other than that, I'm basically happy with it. Well, I want to change the wheels too. Right now it has steel pressed rims with the original covers. I'm thinking I'll get some used 5 spoke racing wheels, powder coated black.

@79cord, thanks for the info, it actually helped me a lot. by far the most useful information i've ever found on any forum on, any topic.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]