#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: msd6a?
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:15 pm 

hi i know i ask alot of questions but you guys seem to have lots of answers and i greatly appreciate the help i find on this forum

now for my question
does msd6a replace the stock ignition module (ignitor) or do you still need it. the reason i ask is ive seen some photos floating around the net with 3tc's w/ msd6a and i couldnt see the ignitor anywhere. i found mine and the wiring is mangled, and i was debating msd6a. what to do now :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:41 pm 

I have never been able to use the VR pickup AC voltage output from a pre-1985, non-computer controlled timing distributor to trigger an MSD box directly. The signal is not strong enough and needs something to convert it, either the stock ignitor or a GM HEI module.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:13 am 

so i will need to retain my ignitor then? all of this information is new to me. this is the 1st car ive ever built.. or attempted to build

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 am 

Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:23 pm 

BigSteve wrote:
I have never been able to use the VR pickup AC voltage output from a pre-1985, non-computer controlled timing distributor to trigger an MSD box directly. The signal is not strong enough and needs something to convert it, either the stock ignitor or a GM HEI module.

FWIW, there are lots of Datsun guys ditching their ignitor when running a 6A/6AL. Not sure what Nissan did different but no one has reported any ill effects from it? In fact, you're the first person I've heard of that did have a problem with it? Kooky...

But since I haven't personally done it, I'm inclined to agree with keeping it. :tu: :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:38 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
BigSteve wrote:

FWIW, there are lots of Datsun guys ditching their ignitor when running a 6A/6AL. Not sure what Nissan did different but no one has reported any ill effects from it? In fact, you're the first person I've heard of that did have a problem with it? Kooky...

But since I haven't personally done it, I'm inclined to agree with keeping it. :tu: :mrgreen:

I've done it for years with L28 distributors...just dump the black box on the side of the distributor and hook the leads directly to the mag pickup wires on the MSD box. Works like a charm!

However, the Toyota signal output is quite weak and won't trigger the box directly...at least with the 18R-G, 20R, and 22R/RE distributors I've tried it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 pm 

I have had it on my 22r no problems but u got to use a 12v coil always worked fine no problems same on both my 1.8s

78 Toyota Corona
71 Datsun 510

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:06 pm 

BigSteve wrote:
I've done it for years with L28 distributors... However, the Toyota signal output is quite weak and won't trigger the box directly...

Well that explains it. Thanks. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm 

I have run the MSD on many 3TC's all without the ignitor. Most set ups I have seen on the 3TC have ditched the ignitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:51 pm 

73te27 wrote:
I have run the MSD on many 3TC's all without the ignitor. Most set ups I have seen on the 3TC have ditched the ignitor.

any chance you can explain/simplify how to do so for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:37 am 

I should correct myself...my Toyota ignitor-less attempts were only with R and M series engines. The T pickup and reluctor may produce a stronger signal output? You would hook it up tne same way...I.E. - the two wires coming from the pickup go to the green and purple wires for the mag pickup trigger input of the MSD. You have a 50-50 chance of getting it right on the first try. :lol: If you have it backwards the timing will be way off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 pm 

oh ok, thanks steve, this website and all you guys are abunch of help! i cant wait too have my build finished and to not be the stupid newb on the forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:45 am 

Pink goes to green and white goes to purple. Black/yellow to small red. The rest of the wires are shown on the bottom of the MSD itself.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]