8/11/10 - Super Update Time! Part III
My AC removal:
Found these pics from 2006
So the AC was shot. I already had plans to mount a sub in the dash based on my experiments:
Let's get this #$%^ out! AC gas was already gone, and I didn't really want the extra crap in the bay. Also, at the time, I needed to fit larger batteries for my audio.
Was an interesting experience finding out how the lines snaked through the bay. This was before I had the BGB's and EPC to guide me.
Wow- garage was kind of empty hahaha
Hmm.. that was it? Oh well.. in the bin in went
Engine Bay February - October:
So this is where I left a previous update..
So the aim here was to clean up all the road grime and built up crap around the bay and in the guard areas. Seriously, it was the worst job cleaning up all this.
Ideally, it would have been easier media blasting, but hey, it's me and there is always a reason why I do things the way I do.
In this case, I didn't want to remove the old underseal in the guards. a) it's a messy job b) what do I gain from something that I won't see? c) i won't have to reapply underseal, though I am going over with a plastic liner material to ensure that there is more than adequate protection.
Found a little bit of rust where the suspension was in contact with the body. Will clean up before liner application.
The build up, while under flash, was actually quite bad. I initially thought that some areas were painted black. How wrong I was. The black on the tow hook is actually dirt!
Amazingly white under here.
One of the things I wanted to do was delete holes and major depressions in the bay.
Commonly, hotrodders will delete the firewall and smooth out the bay. For me, this was not a focus.
The main reason is that I've been to many car shows and I smoothed out engine bay is actually rather boring.
Who wants to see an engine sitting in a shiny box? Not I! The contours and shapes within a bay give more character and actually interesting.
Then again.. deletion of the engine loom hole, AC pipe and heater pipe holes time hehe
3 holes to delete
studs sticking out.. need to get rid of those! Angle grinder time..
not too bad. Reasonably clean job.
so i had to get to the firewall. I store a bunch of shite in the cabin most of the time.. whats that down the back?
Why there are some cusco front and rear strut braces. Brand new, but will be stripped of the blue. I have my colour codes firmly in mind with white as the primary colour and red/black accents.
Great.. a bit of room to work in now.
First things first.. clean up the replacement metal. Jonno had already used this panel for his widebody kit.
I cleaned up the glue and other crap then grabbed the paint stripping disc to get some clean metal.
Double skinned firewll. Plan is to weld from the interior side so that nothing is protruding on the engine bay side.
Time to make some templates.
3 templates made.
Added a weld buffer for me to push the metal up against the back of engine bay metal of the firewall.
Cut and traced.
Interior shot, fit's like a charm
Some gear that was borrowed. Mask for Jonno, mask for me. I really need to learn how to weld. This is a TIG welder I can borrow after all lol.
Welded up. Jonno used rods, but ideally we would have got the auto feed mig, but that was in use building a garage haha.
Oops.. drop plastic got burnt up with all the sparks haha.
Little mess under the plastic. Not too bad and the concrete pad is still protected to this day after a couple of years living under plastic.
Grabbed some new plastic and duct tape and did the fix it job - easy peasy
Oh - Speed Source solid engine brace mounts. Fancy! Decided that I would play and see how they fit.
Not bad.. but oh no.. what do I see? A dent in the metal member running across
More on this later..
Considering I didn't remove the gearbox and engine orginially, I actually had no idea how the brace fitted. Oh well, worked it out
fibrglass infused filler. Strong, but a bitch to sand. Note, the left hand side of the pic. The weld areas for the centre brace on the interior side had depressions. They were filled up and smoothed out.
That was the extent of the smoothing on the firewall.
after all the seam sealer was removed, smoothing done with filler (not on any seams mind you..) and some spray putty to check smoothness, this is a high shot of the bay - 12 March 2010
Thought I'd get fancy with the merge function in photoshop. Saved me from manually merging the photos in Adobe Fireworks. Yes, ASI radiator on the back.
Etch primed ready for seam sealing.
Another fun photo merge
This is an example of how I did the seam sealing. I carefully taped and cut around the seams and then applied the sealer. Then I removed the tape and smoothed out with my fingers before the sealer skinned.
I used wax and grease remover to keep the sealer flexible while smoothing out.
Nish came around and watched me for a couple of hours. I made him tape up some bits..
And this is the bay as it currently stands. Due to the method I used, it took quite a while to get the seam sealer done. Tape, seal, remove tape, smooth. Repeat over and over and over.. many hours and cramped fingers, but its all worth it