#
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:06 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:13 am 

8/11/10 - Super Update Time! Part I

So I haven't done a decent update for ages. Been very busy at work and I normally get home mentally fatigued and with no energy to focus my attentions on the elephant.
But I have slowly being doing work on the the silly car, so I know that counts for something :lol:
Plus I have been buying lots of stuff, and you all know how that can be very enjoyable as well!

In this update (which will most likely be multi-part due to the amount of photos) I'm going to cover all the little things that I have done, purchases and any misc. stuff.
Oh and if my boss is reading this, sorry boss. Need to do focus on work life balance :)

Engine

So I'd thought I'd just start from the start and get everything up.

Engine received (note: this was back in June 2008)

Putting onto the stand

Strip down

ST205 TB

More strip down

Initial clean up of all the grease and dirt build up on the engine.

W2A

#$%^&* I bent the water pipe (sigh) So obviously this was of great concern for me. Not too many st205 engines are broken down, so finding a replacement was going to be a bitch.
I actually found the gen3 3sge had a similar pipe according to the EPC, and luckily I found one up at pick a part and got it for $10.
But recently when putting the engine back together, I've found that there are issues. More on this later.

Bought a chinese special. 3" dump pipe with support bracket. This is obviously going to change with the holset, but I will still use temporarily while I run the CT20B/CT26R2

Ugh..

Okay, so after many months of waiting for a 3sge gen3 to come up to pick a part, the patience was rewarded with a 1996 celica and I was able to grab the oil pan, baffle and oil pick up to replace my dented baffle and lower pan.

If you remember, I posted this:

Well, after spending 8 hours up at the scrap yard, I finally got my replacement baffle and lower pan. I only took removing the ancillaries, engine from the bay, getting the auto box off, rounding an allen head bolt between the block and the box and rushing to the hardware store to get some vice grips and finally prising the oily parts away from the block, I had what I wanted.

Here is the comparison between the old bent baffle and the replacement. Some may say it wouldn't have affected performance or it could be bent back, but I'm too pedantic for that :(

As you can see, there is a slight deflection in the baffle. Enough for me to wait nearly a year for something to come up!

New oil pump to install

Engine gasket kit (thanks always to Mark @ Manawatu Toyota for the prompt parts delivery and great service :) )

Decided to clean all surfaces between cam cover and head of old gasket crap. Cam's came out for some reason as well :lol:

Replaced crank seals as well

All back together and sealed up :)

A little extra sealant was applied. No biggy though.

So this 3sge water pipe. Sigh. Good intentions, but as you can see, there are differences. Another difference was that the water pipe to oil cooler inlet/outlet (whatever) was shorter than the st205 one. Estimate for a new pipe was expensive to say the least. But I went to Howat engineering this past weekend, and the engineer said that since the pipe wasn't creased and no hole, then flow would be impeded minimally. Yay! No having to pay $$ for mistakes!

Decided to see what the differences between the throttle body diameters were.

Side by side comparison. The ST205 TB on the left doesn't have the inlet piece on it. St215 TB has the inlet piece as part of the TB body.

Purchase time. A powerful gt4 was being broken/sold on as the owner had decided to move in a different direction.
I was able to purchase a pile of things off him. Intercooler setup, including inlet pipe with tial bov mount, bar/tube intercooler, other intercooler piping; 3" dump pipe with WG pipe; 3" mid pipe with flexi; Carlos Sainz/RC bonnet - the bonnet was the most important thing for me. Rare as hen's teeth in NZ.

This is the engine as it stands at the mo. I won't lie. It's been over 2 years since the engine was stripped back and I've been trying to figure out how to put it all back together. I'm just glad Ii bagged and tagged all the stuff that came off! Getting there though :)

So ends this part of the update.

Oh - there is also an Audi A3 turbo block/head in my garage that my sister broke a cam on. I should either dump it or strip it down and see what can be salvaged. Prob just get rid of it tbh. Taking up too much room!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:13 am 

8/11/10 - Super Update Time! Part II

Before anyone says anything, yes I do start have a lot of little mini projects going on at the same time. If I didn't then just doing the same thing would be quite boring :lol:

Body:

Carlos Sainz/RC bonnet :D
I'll take a mould before painting. Gotta go lightweight or at least have a replacement in those times of need!
I did plan on asking someone if I could take a mould of their bonnet, but that would have meant flying around NZ, shipping the mould back to Wellington and that was if I absolutely couldn't find a bonnet. Glad Ii have something local I can work off now haha.

Driveline: June 2010

Drive shaft doesn't look in too bad condition

Bottom of the car is also in good condition. Minimal signs of any rust or corrosion. Lucky me

Sometimes my friends give me a hand every now and again. Scoob came over in the STI and was poking around under the rear of the car helping me remove the rear driveline.
Bit of plumbers crack there hahahaha :lol:

So after unbolting the rear subframe and lowering on the jack, the elephant is coming apart slowly.

Bit rusty, though I've seen worse. I like the small collection of stones on top of the diff. Found similar on the subframe itself which I'm currently cleaning.

Overall, rubbers aren't in bad condition. Undecided whether I'll replace. I'm sure it's going to cost me in parts from Japan. Won't be going solid bushings. I like some comfort.

Diff cushion is cracked. Will have to cut out and re-poly.

So one of the long suspension arms is bent (no pic yet). I saw a trace of rust under the paint. Better inspect.

Err.. will clean up that mess :)

New front and rear bearings for hub conversions for brake upgrade :D

New ball joints from Mark @ Manawatu Toyota again ( I see a trend here :D )

Electrics: April 2010

Starter motor was begging attention - looks so dirty! So I decided to take it apart and inspect and start cleaning.

Brushes are fine

Cleaned up the crap on the armature

More inspection - this time the solenoid.

Hmmm... new toy ;) Link G3 LEM with 55psi MAP sensor internal :D Thanks Matt D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 am 

8/11/10 - Super Update Time! Part III

My AC removal: Found these pics from 2006 :lol:

So the AC was shot. I already had plans to mount a sub in the dash based on my experiments:

Let's get this #$%^ out! AC gas was already gone, and I didn't really want the extra crap in the bay. Also, at the time, I needed to fit larger batteries for my audio.

Was an interesting experience finding out how the lines snaked through the bay. This was before I had the BGB's and EPC to guide me.

Wow- garage was kind of empty hahaha

Hmm.. that was it? Oh well.. in the bin in went :D

Engine Bay February - October:

So this is where I left a previous update..

So the aim here was to clean up all the road grime and built up crap around the bay and in the guard areas. Seriously, it was the worst job cleaning up all this.
Ideally, it would have been easier media blasting, but hey, it's me and there is always a reason why I do things the way I do.

February
In this case, I didn't want to remove the old underseal in the guards. a) it's a messy job b) what do I gain from something that I won't see? c) i won't have to reapply underseal, though I am going over with a plastic liner material to ensure that there is more than adequate protection.

Found a little bit of rust where the suspension was in contact with the body. Will clean up before liner application.

The build up, while under flash, was actually quite bad. I initially thought that some areas were painted black. How wrong I was. The black on the tow hook is actually dirt!

Cleaned up.

Amazingly white under here.

One of the things I wanted to do was delete holes and major depressions in the bay.
Commonly, hotrodders will delete the firewall and smooth out the bay. For me, this was not a focus.

The main reason is that I've been to many car shows and I smoothed out engine bay is actually rather boring.
Who wants to see an engine sitting in a shiny box? Not I! The contours and shapes within a bay give more character and actually interesting.

Then again.. deletion of the engine loom hole, AC pipe and heater pipe holes time hehe :D

3 holes to delete

studs sticking out.. need to get rid of those! Angle grinder time..

goneburgers

not too bad. Reasonably clean job.

so i had to get to the firewall. I store a bunch of shite in the cabin most of the time.. whats that down the back?

Why there are some cusco front and rear strut braces. Brand new, but will be stripped of the blue. I have my colour codes firmly in mind with white as the primary colour and red/black accents.

Great.. a bit of room to work in now.

First things first.. clean up the replacement metal. Jonno had already used this panel for his widebody kit.

I cleaned up the glue and other crap then grabbed the paint stripping disc to get some clean metal.

Voila :)

Double skinned firewll. Plan is to weld from the interior side so that nothing is protruding on the engine bay side.

Time to make some templates.

3 templates made.

Added a weld buffer for me to push the metal up against the back of engine bay metal of the firewall.

Cut and traced.

Interior shot, fit's like a charm

Some gear that was borrowed. Mask for Jonno, mask for me. I really need to learn how to weld. This is a TIG welder I can borrow after all lol.

Welded up. Jonno used rods, but ideally we would have got the auto feed mig, but that was in use building a garage haha.

Oops.. drop plastic got burnt up with all the sparks haha.

Little mess under the plastic. Not too bad and the concrete pad is still protected to this day after a couple of years living under plastic.

Grabbed some new plastic and duct tape and did the fix it job - easy peasy

Oh - Speed Source solid engine brace mounts. Fancy! Decided that I would play and see how they fit.

Not bad.. but oh no.. what do I see? A dent in the metal member running across :( More on this later..

Considering I didn't remove the gearbox and engine orginially, I actually had no idea how the brace fitted. Oh well, worked it out :)

fibrglass infused filler. Strong, but a bitch to sand. Note, the left hand side of the pic. The weld areas for the centre brace on the interior side had depressions. They were filled up and smoothed out.
That was the extent of the smoothing on the firewall.

after all the seam sealer was removed, smoothing done with filler (not on any seams mind you..) and some spray putty to check smoothness, this is a high shot of the bay - 12 March 2010

Thought I'd get fancy with the merge function in photoshop. Saved me from manually merging the photos in Adobe Fireworks. Yes, ASI radiator on the back.

Etch primed ready for seam sealing.

Another fun photo merge

This is an example of how I did the seam sealing. I carefully taped and cut around the seams and then applied the sealer. Then I removed the tape and smoothed out with my fingers before the sealer skinned.
I used wax and grease remover to keep the sealer flexible while smoothing out.

Nish came around and watched me for a couple of hours. I made him tape up some bits..

And this is the bay as it currently stands. Due to the method I used, it took quite a while to get the seam sealer done. Tape, seal, remove tape, smooth. Repeat over and over and over.. many hours and cramped fingers, but its all worth it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:01 am 

8/11/10 - Super Update Time! Part III

Transmission stuff

Rermember the gear leaver mechanism?

And no, I didn't leave them in the vinegar for 3 months :P

Come February 2010..
After a couple of days, the levers were removed from the vinegar. I then cleaned them up, started sanding and polishing. Probably one of the few things I'll polish myself as it took bloody ages!

Main mounting plate was quite rusted if you remember.

Just some other bits and bobs that went into the vinegar. A-arm washers, starter motor bolts, metal washer mount thingys

rusted vs vinegar dipped.

As you can see, the vinegar left a film from the zinc coating on the metal.

both gen1 and gen 2 mounting plates were dipped.

The rust build up.. no one likes rust.

small amount of rust on the gen 1 mounting plate.

I put under some water and the film wiped away :D I still went over with a plastic scrubbing pad to get rid of the deep rust that was still present.

Etch primed - April 2010

7 November 2010. Actually got around to finishing these up. Etch priming protected them so no issues there. Some zinc paint tarts them up some :)

Thought I better take some pictures today. This the gear lever mechanism. Sugar cube had minimal wear on it.

Ii had my clutch plate machined by Hutt City Engine Reconditioners. Cheap and its machined, not lathed :D

RPM HD clutch..

Couldn't be bothered to open the box, but the HD plate is in there :)

Speed Source stainless braided clutch hose

Right - midnight.. and i need to get up in 6 hours for work.
I'll update another little bit tomorrow, radiator fitment fun :(

Hope you all enjoy

Cheers
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:19 pm 

Looks great dude!.. love it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm 

Damn, was getting excited that there was a partially new Toyota here, I do have a soft spot for the Gen5's.

Just.. Your bandwidth has exeeded. Though page 1 with the yellow track Celica, I also got as excited as you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:03 pm 

yeah - sorry about the bandwidth issue. Am hoping to move to a dedicated server space, but just don't have the time to do so at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:22 am 

I'll be changing various photo filenames as I'm currently building a blog so if you don't see the photos, don't worry, all will be well soon.

In the interim before I find the time to do the next update (lots of stuff done over the new year :D ) here's a fun video

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 28 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2